Do most NTs find it hard to understand what you mean?

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Alla
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Sep 2010, 1:44 pm

Do most NTs find it difficult to understand what you mean by the way you use written or spoken language? I find that some people can understand the words but not the deeper meaning implied by them. As a result, they sometimes get offended by what I say when my intention was not to offend anyone.

Minutiaman
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Sep 2010, 2:04 pm

I think most NTs understand my spoken language and certainly my written language. I am more verbal than even many of us diagnosed with Aspergers, but I still self-disclose in advance as an identity and explanation (rather than an excuse) that sometimes my behaviors belie my intentions, etc.

nekowafer
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Sep 2010, 5:03 pm

I have this issue a LOT. I am constantly explaining that I just can't convey what I mean properly, and saying, "does that make sense?"

Peko
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2010, 7:13 pm

To an extent yes. But I've been working on communicating clearly for a long time and am able to clarify myself if questioned.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2010, 7:28 pm

They do to a certain extent, but I also use a lot of big words.

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2010, 7:29 pm

Yes.

Sparrowrose
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2010, 8:08 pm

Not just NTs. I have communication difficulties with everyone.

Avatar=WWI propaganda poster promoting victory gardens.

lovecholie
Raven
Raven

25 Sep 2010, 8:20 pm

I tend to say and write as succinctly as possible. To the extent that I don't feel the need to reiterate what I've said. Then I forget that people don't remember or read into words as much as I do. When there is a misunderstanding, I get frustrated. My limit is two times to restate something. By three times, I am ready to rip my boyfriend's head off.

Shebakoby
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2010, 11:22 pm

Sometimes. That's mostly a problem of me understanding what I want to get across but the words I'm using don't always mean what I want them to (ambiguous meanings for various words).

Sometimes "big words" are a problem but not often.