what was the last concert you went to? discuss it!

Page 3 of 3 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Quartz11
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2010, 10:52 pm

I also saw the Megadeth and Slayer tour, except it was Testament and not Anthrax at the show I saw. I mainly went for the Slayer, didn't know much about Megadeth heading into it. Megadeth was good, Slayer - I'm not the biggest fan of Seasons but whatever.

Last night I saw a band called Asylum Street Spankers. They're from Austin TX and do some odd combination of roots Americana, prog folk, comedy, and alt-country. Was at this little club in western Massachusetts, and was a good time. Charlie King's stuff is hilarious.

The night before I saw Dave Matthews Band at Madison Square Garden. Holy crap that show was nuts, and the most energetic crowd I've seen at a DMB show. The fourth time I've seen DMB now, and easily the best of the four. (The first show of theirs I saw was decent, except the whole being outside and having a thunderstorm passing by at the time part. The third was at Bonnaroo, which was really disappointing.) John Butler Trio opened, and I wish I coulda heard more out of them. Oceans is a phenomenal track.

Two nights before that (Thursday) I saw Mumford and Sons in Boston. These guys are solid good, and I'm curious to hear more of their new stuff. Hopefully it compares with Sigh No More.

Other memorable stuff:
Bonnaroo 2010
Rock The Bells 2007 - Massachusetts stop
Bruce Springsteen
Paul McCartney
Rush
Burning Spear

blue_bean
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2010, 7:04 am

RainingRoses wrote:
blue_bean wrote:
My last concert was actually a touring heavy metal/hardcore/emo music festival called Soundwave which is on every February in most Australian capital cities. The headline act this year was Faith No More. Other acts I saw were Alexis On Fire, Anthrax, Jimmy Eat World, Janes Addiction, Isis and others. But Faith No More was the reason I got a ticket in the first place :). I got a shirt of theirs too, but it has no tour dates on the back. Shoulda got the "Happy Birthday f****" shirt instead :lol:

Hey, what is it with Australians and Faith No More??? They put out an album here and it sells like eight copies and then goes triple platinum in Oz. A girlfriend of mine was actually engaged to one of their (many) guitarists in the early-'90s.

Jane's Addiction is a different story. Well, the old incarnation anyway (late-'80s, early-'90s). That's more my generation than yours, though, I guess. Saw them a few times in NYC and then at the very first Lollapalooza before they broke up (and probably should have stayed broken up). Twenty years later -- wow, has it been that long?!? -- Nothing's Shocking and Ritual are currently in my car's CD changer.

I haven't been to a live show in ***so*** long. That's age speaking right there. Last was probably Oasis or Charlatans.

Speaking of tour shirts, I just asked my parents about my Lollapalooza shirt -- had all the bands and dates on it from that first summer. I figured it's probably worth a small fortune. Found out mom used it to dust with for a while and then tossed it. :? Remembering now, it was so worn out that there was more material missing from it than was left...

LOL, what album was that? I actually don't even have all their albums. I got King For A Day while I was away on holidays, but I've always just listened to their best of, Who Cares A Lot. I envy your girlfriend. I want to marry Mike Patton!!

Didn't care too much for Janes Addiction. They were just one of the headlining acts that we managed to catch; they were on stage just before Faith No More.

Next Concert: I'm seeing Tool in late January!! :D
Then I'm going to Soundwave again in February. Lineup here: http://www.soundwavefestival.com/lineup :D

Chevand
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2010, 1:46 pm

blue_bean wrote:
Next Concert: I'm seeing Tool in late January!! :D

Interesting you should mention seeing Tool. The last concert I went to was one of theirs, a few years ago, when they were in Tampa to promote 10,000 Days. I had always wanted to see them, particularly since I missed them when they were promoting Lateralus. Tool has a reputation for amazing live shows, and they really didn't disappoint. Maynard came out shirtless, wearing jeans and a cowboy hat, and they opened with "Jambi". At one point, they played "The Pot", the first time they played that one on their tour. Then, toward the end of the set, they wrapped everything up with "Wings For Marie/10,000 Days" and "Lateralus", and there was a laser light show to go along with the music.

One of the best concerts I've ever been to.

wornlight
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Nov 2010, 1:52 pm

i went to an aerosmith concert about 8 years ago. that is the only concert i have been to. i prefer to listen to music in my bedroom.

dreadpiraterobyn
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

16 Nov 2010, 9:27 pm

Last Tuesday I went to see Roger Waters (of Pink Floyd) do The Wall. I loved it so much I went back again on Thursday. That's kind of a big deal for me, since I'm usually too freaked out by the crowds to enjoy a concert once, let alone twice.

The tickets cost a small fortune, but it was worth it.

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

18 Nov 2010, 6:54 am

The only concert that I ever been to was an air force reserve concert that my dad made me go to about 15 years ago. With my sensory problems, I dont like crowds at all. I just freeze get really overwhelmed. I dont think I would like a big concert at all.
However, I do like the blue man group and might actually put up with the crowds if they came to my area.

another_1
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2010, 12:37 pm

Not sure if it counts as a "concert," but the last live music show I went to was Rik Emmet, in a club in Atlanta - about 2 years ago now. I made a special effort to see him, because he was the original guitarist and primary songwriter for Triumph - which was the first concert I ever went to (back in what AuntBlabby calls "the stoned age").

Amazing guitarist, intimate venue, enthusiastic crowd, interesting stories . . . unfortunately, he developed a migraine and didn't come back out after the break. :evil: Ohwell. It sucked that I drove 2 hours each way for what ended up being half a show, and that the meet-n-greet after (which I paid extra to attend) was canceled. Was still a LONG set - nearly an hour and a half. And, I was able to actually talk to other people during the break - lots of Triumph fans, so we had something in common. :D Had a good time - and got a full refund, too!

edited to add:

Holy cow, Youtube is like getting into the wayback machine! Footage from the tour I saw them on, way, way back in 1977 8O before they were even on the radio (not the actual concert I was at - that would be too much to hope for!)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ST3HIsMO5Ds[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnl-07nKpWc[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svj4ARCbrGw&NR=1[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SGUQLb0-eE&NR=1[/youtube]

Quartz11
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2010, 9:00 am

Last night I saw Medeski Martin & Wood in Boston. Had a hour plus second set with a more traditional jazz orchestra. I'm not familiar with any of their songs, but saw much of their set at Bonnaroo and it sounded good - hence going last night.

That's now four shows in a span of nine days for me.

curlyfry
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2010, 10:40 pm

My last concert was in 2009 to see Elvis Costello at Summerfest in Milwaukee. He's getting up there but can still sing and play. The beer was like six bucks a bottle. So, I settled for bottled water and I wanted to keep my wits about me since it was my first time there. I had a good time but there was this guy who kept staring at me it gave me the creeps. I just tried to remember the saying. "Dance like no one is watching". I got there early and was pretty close. Up until this concert I have only seen metal bands and was even able to meet Ozzy after a show (a dream come true). Here is a crappy clip I got with my camera.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htqA0uq3mHg&feature=player_profilepage[/youtube]

Quartz11
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2010, 10:08 am

Blues legend Ronnie Earl with his backing band The Broadcasters was at a club in western Mass. (same one as the place I was at a couple weeks ago). Went two and a half hours, and I just love this guy's stuff. I just really wish people wouldn't talk during shows, it gets annoying when you hear conversation next to you than the actual music itself.

sterfry
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2010, 3:48 am

Congrats on the MMW they are so much fun to hear play around and get funky onstage. John Medeski is a mad scientist.
My last show was Galactic with Ivan Neville. Needless to say, they brought the funk.

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2010, 4:06 pm

I saw Sally Seltmann a week ago in Sydney. I was surprised she didn't get any nominations at this year's ARIA awards. Sally was excellent and in addition to playing tracks from her newest album, also played some unreleased tracks that were really enjoyable and I look forward to their release proper.