Page 2 of 5 [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2010, 6:40 pm

hyperlexian wrote:
hopefully, exposed your conscience to an important message about humanity.

Screw that. Will it add a day to my lifespan? Will it help me lose a pound? Will it add a dollar to my income? What is the use?

ruveyn

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2010, 7:02 pm

Meadow wrote:
If something can be done, then why doesn't anyone do it?

Why don't you?

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2010, 7:03 pm

ruveyn wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:
hopefully, exposed your conscience to an important message about humanity.

Screw that. Will it add a day to my lifespan? Will it help me lose a pound? Will it add a dollar to my income? What is the use?

ruveyn

It might.

Meadow
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2010, 7:05 pm

Chronos wrote:
Meadow wrote:

Why don't you?

I'm not compelled to. There are other charities I care more about.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2010, 9:28 pm

Meadow wrote:
Chronos wrote:
Meadow wrote:

Why don't you?

I'm not compelled to.

Then there is your answer.

Meadow
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2010, 9:31 pm

Chronos wrote:
Meadow wrote:
Chronos wrote:
Meadow wrote:

Why don't you?

I'm not compelled to.

No, it is not the answer.

nara44
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2010, 10:01 pm

Meadow wrote:
Chronos wrote:
Meadow wrote:
Chronos wrote:
Meadow wrote:

Why don't you?

I'm not compelled to.

People are just too busy dealing with theire own problems and u can't really blame them for that
but there is a problem with the all or nothing attitude presented by ruveyn because many people can help a little by contributing small or little deeds or things without being bothered too much but they won't for many stupid reasons and wrong principlas.
we need to find a way to maintain our privacy and self interests while helping the needy at the same time and in order to do it we have to get better inderstanding of what are our self interest and bounderies really are
i know that when facing a grown man crying like that my comments may sound rather cruell and irelevant but i have suffered many many years of extream proverty,lonliness and homlesness and knows and feels that aside from the imedieate first add obviusly so needed in such cases there is another and much deeper dimension that needed to be adressed

Meadow
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2010, 10:11 pm

I used to care about these things. I no longer do. I have tried helping others. I have since learned it's a waste of time, energy and thought. Who can help fix problems that are so entrenched. I prefer to help the truly helpless, instead.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2010, 2:29 am

Meadow wrote:
Chronos wrote:
Meadow wrote:
Chronos wrote:
Meadow wrote:

Why don't you?

I'm not compelled to.

How is it not'/

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2010, 4:20 am

ruveyn wrote:

ruveyn

If personal profit is the only motivation sufficient for you, then consider that homelessness imposes a social cost that is borne, ultimately, by both the public sector (thus, you as a taxpayer), and by individuals (you as a consumer).

Some costs are direct charges on the government: Who pays for medical care when the police bring a homeless person to the ER? Who pays for the, "three hots and a cot," when a homeless person is arrested and cannot be released on bail because they cannot provide an address?

Some costs are direct costs on consumers: Why are home insurance rates higher in cities than rural areas, and higher still in neighborhoods with high homeless populations? Because property crime increases as homelessness increases. Who pays for the cost of shrinkage caused by shoplifting? It is built into the retail price of goods.

Every homeless person who comes in off the street is diminishing the cost that all of us must pay to tolerate this social phenomenon in our midst.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2010, 4:44 am

Meadow wrote:
I used to care about these things. I no longer do. I have tried helping others. I have since learned it's a waste of time, energy and thought. Who can help fix problems that are so entrenched. I prefer to help the truly helpless, instead.

Judging by these response to our previous exchange I must conclude that perhaps you thought I was implying that homelessness could be eliminated. That, it cannot. In this society, there will always be homeless individuals. Nor was I tasking you with taking up the cause of fighting homelessness. I was simply answering your question with the intend of conveying that simply because something is viable does not mean anyone has implemented it.

I was disagreeing with the "If it could be done then someone would have done it already"mentality I felt you were implying.

One aspect of homelessness that you would have little luck battling is those who are homeless due to schizophrenic psychosis. These individuals are the most difficult to help because they are too ill to want help, cannot be institutionalized against their will, and many of them only improve moderately with medication, or cannot take the medication due to the severe side effects.

But those who are just down on their luck are certainly worth helping in terms of success potential.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2010, 3:32 pm

visagrunt wrote:

Every homeless person who comes in off the street is diminishing the cost that all of us must pay to tolerate this social phenomenon in our midst.

The right way to cure homelessness is to find ways of putting these bums and deadbeats to work at some kind of useful labor. Then they can afford to live under their own or a rented roof.

ruveyn

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2010, 3:46 pm

ruveyn wrote:
visagrunt wrote:

The right way to cure homelessness is to find ways of putting these bums and deadbeats to work at some kind of useful labor. Then they can afford to live under their own or a rented roof.

ruveyn

1. if you were to dig into the background of a wide assortment of homeless people, you would find that they are not all bums and deadbeats. there are many reasons why people are homeless.

2. are you implementing a make-work program, or supporting one with your charitable funds? perhaps you have already set up or funded such a program, but:
ruveyn wrote:
If not, then be still.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2010, 4:01 pm

hyperlexian wrote:

2. are you implementing a make-work program, or supporting one with your charitable funds? perhaps you have already set up or funded such a program, but:
ruveyn wrote:
If not, then be still.

I mean real work like cleaning toilets and shoveling sh*t.

ruveyn

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2010, 4:59 pm

ruveyn wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:

ruveyn wrote:
If not, then be still.

I mean real work like cleaning toilets and shoveling sh*t.

Dur duh durrrr...

In order to have an income to live off of SOMEONE ELSE has to be WILLING to pay you. How many people are willing to pay someone to clean their toilet and shovel their s**t when they can do it themselves for free? Or are you expecting the homeless to shovel s**t for free just so you don't have to look down on them quite so much? Good luck with that.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2010, 6:14 pm

marshall wrote:

In order to have an income to live off of SOMEONE ELSE has to be WILLING to pay you. How many people are willing to pay someone to clean their toilet and shovel their sh** when they can do it themselves for free? Or are you expecting the homeless to shovel sh** for free just so you don't have to look down on them quite so much? Good luck with that.

Some people need their toilets cleaned. Others need their sh*t shoveled. It is real work.

ruveyn