useful/interesting free software downloads?

Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

useful?
yes 75%  75%  [ 3 ]
no 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 4

BroncosRtheBest
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Sep 2010, 9:02 pm

GIMP is a great image manipulator. There is also the Free Youtube to MP3 Converter, extremely useful for when your CD is scratched and you can't rip a song to your computer.

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2010, 10:11 pm

another Gimp user here. As far as artwork, you couldn't count them, 1 site alone had over 1,200

Here's a short list -

Bryce 5.5 (there's a link to a free one out there, somewhere. Probably Daz 3d, which also has)
Daz 3d - create pictures with movable characters inside them. In addition, they also have
free characters (load up on Mike, Victoria, Stephanie, etc). There's places to get freebies
to use in both. Check Share CG, Renderosity, etc., for stuff you can use (My avatar was made with the character Apollo (also free), and some clothing props

Wings 3d - one of a jillion 3d modelers, but for me, the easiest one to learn models on. If you
like a real challenge, learn Blender. Whereas German creates new words out of 2 or more words, Blender creates menus out of 2 or more functions...;)

Audacity - good music program for dealing with files.

Avast, and Ad-aware - good anti malware and anti-virus software.

I think that Doga L1 is still out there, may still be free. If you have a 7-year old, or are still fairly young, you can create spaceships and robots by bolting pieces together.

Leocad is a 3d program that simulates making Lego parts, along with some add-on pieces as well.

Open Office, for those who can't afford the Microsoft brand, is available for those who can't afford the original.

Major geeks, nonags, Sourceforge, and other sites galore have tens of thousands of programs that do almost anything, all for free.

Hope this helps.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

02 Oct 2010, 5:43 am

I would recommend AVG anti-virus. They have a version of anti-virus for free but I use their Internet Security but I only installed one or two features of that & mostly use anti-virus. The anti-virus seems to work well. I put it on when I got this computer at the beginning of summer & I do a lot of browsing, DLing & bootlegging & I haven't' had a major virus problem on this comp so for. I've had a couple minor things from trying to bootleg stuff but AVG took care of it when I did a manual scan. I think the trial version of Internet Security last for 30 days but as I said I msotly use it for anti-virus. AVG released the 2011 versions this week. Here's link http://free.avg.com/us-en/get-basic-protection

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition