Page 1 of 4 [ 56 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

newchum
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2006, 4:51 am

It is true that Aspies either have a naive, innocent view of the world or a very dark, gritty, negative, fatalistic view of the world. These days I am in the latter because of my life experiences, I am deeply attracted to the ideas of the Goth subculture and it's art.

Lonermutant
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2006, 6:51 am

newchum wrote:
It is true that Aspies either have a naive, innocent view of the world or a very dark, gritty, negative, fatalistic view of the world. These days I am in the latter because of my life experiences, I am deeply attracted to the ideas of the Goth subculture and it's art.

In my opinion, nt's are ret*ds.

Xuincherguixe
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2006, 7:19 am

Lonermutant wrote:
newchum wrote:

In my opinion, nt's are ret*ds.

ZING!

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2006, 7:26 am

I find myself attracted to Old School Punk. On the days that I go out on my own and don't wear a Cap on my Head, I punk my Hair up, a little. I love the Sex Pistols.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2006, 7:31 am

newchum wrote:

I guess I have a naive innocent view of the world, but I try not to. I see the world like i'm a 10 year old kid.

I'm interested in that too, newchum, but it doesn't have anything to do with how I see the world.

Lonermutant
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2006, 7:50 am

hale_bopp wrote:
newchum wrote:

I guess I have a naive innocent view of the world, but I try not to. I see the world like i'm a 10 year old kid.

I'm interested in that too, newchum, but it doesn't have anything to do with how I see the world.

I'm always disturbed of how stupid nt's seem to be.

TheGreyBadger
Toucan
Toucan

23 May 2006, 8:39 am

Here's my experience.

In a lot of areas I started out naive and innocent. Then, getting my nose rubbed in the fact that what I believed wasn't so, often painfully, flopped over into the dark and painful viewpoint. Then - and I've had six decades for this to happen! - slowly come around to a "swirl cone" view of the world and life, in which dark and light are mixed together, ranging from pure contrast to all soerts of shadings. As Ursula LeGuin put it, "Light is the left hand of darkness..." (I think she's a Taoist)

But it takes a while.

lae
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2006, 10:09 am

I used to be very trusting and believe exactly what people told me. I've become very cynical about human nature since then. I like what you said, GreyBadger.

Sundy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 May 2006, 10:25 am

I'm pretty naive myself. Usually, my view of the world seems surreal. Many times I feel like I'm not actually there or everything is far away.

drummer_girl
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 May 2006, 10:35 am

i never know when to trust somebody and when not to... ive been told many a time that im gullible...
i also cannot imagine what the world is like. it seems to big to all be real if you know what i mean.
i like countries that i am farmilier with and know the customs etc. for example i doubt ill ever visit the middle east. because for one there is too much violence there i think, and it probably too hot and i just dont think i would like it

on the other hand i have a 'thing;' for america... i just seem to love everything about america. although i live in the uk and am english i sorta see myself as an american.. i am going to see about gettin american citizenship too. one of my obsessions is the american flag. i just love the patterns and the colors and what it meens. 'land of the free'... i have american flag things.. like candles and flags and t shirts .. i even just spelt colors the american spelling.just then!.. and i call all chocolate bars and 'sweets' CANDY....
i think also it is because i like american people in general.. they seem very nice. i gotta love the accent.... ive spent ages trying to get the accent.. i havent got there yet but i will keep trying. ineed to hear more of it so i can do it.
i like my own country too of course. but i would like it more if there were less people from the middle east living here and sponging off our government

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2006, 11:00 am

drummer_girl wrote:
but i would like it more if there were less people from the middle east living here and sponging off our government

There's plenty of white English people scrounging off the state, you know. Sorry, but there is.

Aeturnus
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2006, 11:51 am

drummer_girl wrote:
i think also it is because i like american people in general.. they seem very nice. i gotta love the accent.... ive spent ages trying to get the accent.. i havent got there yet but i will keep trying. ineed to hear more of it so i can do it.
i like my own country too of course. but i would like it more if there were less people from the middle east living here and sponging off our government

As far as middle eastern people, they're all over the United States, too. I don't think there's any getting away from them, no matter where you live. Besides, they're people like everyone else. The problems with the middle eastern people are more or less religious in nature, and I see them as I would see Christians, pretty much irrational. As far as complaining about who is and who isn't a terrorist, that's less than 1% of the Muslim faith, the same way it's less than 1% of the Christian faith. Remember, fundamentalist Christians espouse a hatred of the government and a desire for racism as part of their faith chain. That's why the Oklahoma City federal building was bombed, and it is why Eric Rudolph went on the run. There are white terrorists who are just as dangerous as a Muslim terrorist, though it's much easier for the US to control its population if they make us fear another state. Because, then, they can waive the patriotic card. That's stimulating for a blind American.

I live in America, and I don't perceive the overall population as very nice. I believe they are very hypocritical, to be in fact. It's something that is indoctrinated. You can't survive in this country if you are compassionate. That is something that will be instilled into you as soon as you join the economy. That's not to say, however, that there aren't far worse countries in America. I'd rather live here than in South Africa, for example.

- Ray M -

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2006, 12:55 pm

As a kid, I used to have a very naive view of the world. I believed that people were naturally nice, and that if I acted nicely to people, they would be nice to me as well. Oh, was I ever so wrong. In fact, the nicer I acted, the more people bullied me. Fortunately, the bullying ended the day of my high school graduation. However, the cynical outlook persisted. Now I believe that the human civilization already peaked at some point in history, and is now degrading back to its caveman level. It's very hard, if not impossible, to pinpoint when exactly the peak occured, but it definitely happened long before I was born (I'm 23). Perhaps people here have some ideas when the peak was?

Emettman
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2006, 1:28 pm

hale_bopp wrote:

I started there, and stayed there quite a while.
But the naive get sold fairy stories...
(I Believe in Father Christmas - Greg Lake, really hits the spot.)

Now I'm more like Vimes:
"If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life."

I'd prefer to be Carrot, but there you go.

anandamide
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2006, 1:36 pm

The Journal of Cognitive Liberties published an interesting article on autism as a world view. There's alot more to this subject than whether we are positive or negative in our outlooks. Autism represents a neurologically diverse state that has the potential to subvert the dominant culture in all sorts of (I think) fascinating ways.

http://www.cognitiveliberty.org/2jcl/2JCL43.htm

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2006, 7:35 pm

Lonermutant wrote:
hale_bopp wrote:
newchum wrote:

I'm always disturbed of how stupid nt's seem to be.

What's that got to do with anything I said?