Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2010, 4:40 pm

I know it is stupid, but I thought I'd start a thread where you can write in a short story, so that you can tell us your strengths/weaknesses in a story form. You could write in a short story about what you think about certain aspects in life, or about your opinion on something. Sometimes it's nice to turn your personal opinions into a little story, instead of just a message. I know it's stupid, I suppose. But I just thought it might be a good idea. (Please bear in mind that most ideas I come up with are normally stupid ideas, so I don't know if this thread will do a lot of justice).

But anyway, here's an example of a little short story. It's expressing my opinion about A Cure For Aspergers (if there was one)

Once there was a little girl, aged 3, who was an ordinary toddler - she was no different to any other toddler. She was happy at preschool with the other children, and her language development was average. She was toilet-trained at the average age, and she had no problems with eating or sleeping, and she was no cleverer or dumber than any other child.
But the day she started school was enough to send all the teachers 6 feet under. The little girl just could not cope, and showed it by behaving in a very unsocial manner. She hid in a corner at playtime and wouldn't go near other children, and threw big temper tantrums when the teachers made her play with the others. Her parents were worried, and the teachers were worried. She calmed down after a few weeks because she got a lot of help, and she was diagnosed with Aspergers at age 8.
She was a happy child though, and mostly acted just like any other normal kid. She loved all her cousins, and they loved her. But when she got to 13, she grew unhappy. She felt lonely. She had got to that age where the other children at school were more interested in boys and make-up. And so she felt very unhappy, and although she grew out of playing too, she was not interested in boys and make-up either. And the other girls were at that stage where they took more notice of other girl's personality, and wanted to judge them all the time, and so this girl was never let in anyone's ''group''.
Most her cousins were also in their teens and just wanted to be out and about with their own friends. So she found herself clinging onto her littlest cousins, who were 5 and 8, but as a few more years went on, they got to teenagers too and started finding friends of their own. Now the girl is on job-seekers but is terrified of finding a job, and also doesn't have any friends or cousins to turn to any more. All she had was her mum and her auntie - who worried about her a lot. And the girl was fed up with feeling a loser and a loner, and she wanted to do anything to help herself.
So one day the newspapers finally said that the cure for Aspergers was out in the chemists, and had no side-effects. It'd be just like taking pain-killers of something. And this girl was the first one to run to the chemists, and she got what she wanted and took the pills for the next week.....
In about a month's time, she got some interviews, and attended them without a speck of anxiety (only natural nervousness). She put on formal clothes and didn't mind wearing clothes with buttons. She got ready and brushed her hair (which was all styled and pretty), and put on some make-up, and proudly went on her way to where the interview was held, without worrying about other people looking at her.
She got the job in a shop, and loved working in the busy environment. She made friends with other youngsters, and wanted to get together with them on Saturday and all go to a party to meet cute lads. And she did.

And she put all her Aspergers life behind her and never looked back. THE END

Last edited by Joe90 on 29 Sep 2010, 11:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

squonk
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2010, 2:53 am

Thank you for writing this. I could not believe there were no replies to this topic when I found it and read it. It is a very good idea to write. I write a lot because I have difficulty expressing and conveying things in the normal way. I think I could make up a story but it would take a lot of thought and planning and concentration. I did enjoy reading this however and thank you for sharing it.

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2010, 3:26 am

There was a middle aged fart from Grey Lynn
Who thought he'd give Wrong Planet a spin
He learned of his condition
Amongst the praise and derision
Forever an aspie, never quite fitting in

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2010, 12:07 pm

Surfman wrote:
There was a middle aged fart from Grey Lynn
Who thought he'd give Wrong Planet a spin
He learned of his condition
Amongst the praise and derision
Forever an aspie, never quite fitting in

Very good :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

xemmaliex
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Sep 2010, 1:08 pm

My story's a little bit complicated, and doesn't really have an end. It will end when the people on this planet will open their ears and listen.
I will put it in your format.

Once upon a time, there was a girl, who was the youngest of three children. They were five and eight years older than her.
She mostly had a happy early life, being totally unaware that she was any different until the age of 7. She was fed up with being teased my the other kids, not being able to handle being teased either, of always thinking weird things, and being a tiny bit off-wavelength with everyone else. She imitated animal noises, and would rarely act like 'herself', making up friends and pets that were invisible, amazing superheroes. At school, she was a high-flyer, except for the fact that she would always voice her opinion, even when it wasn't wanted, and always taking everything seriously. She was morbidly obsessed with things like dogs, dolls and the 'tellytubbies', and still watched infant TV shows till the age of 13. Always being accused of having her 'head in the clouds', and being terrified of thunder and fireworks (but denying it!) and acting like a boy were just a few problems that her parents overlooked, as they had to deal with a million other worries, other than their daughters unusual behaviour.

She only heard of Asperger's in her medical encyclopedia that she owned at the age of 9. She read all about it, storing the information in her head. At the age of 12, she came across it again, and realised there may be more to it. By that time she had nearly all the symptoms, and to anyone with any medical knowledge, it was pretty obvious that she may have it. The new series of 'Tracy beaker returns' came out, so she looked up all the character profiles. One of the characters, Gus, had AS.This intrigued her, so she decided to research it. She discovered pretty much everything there is to do with it, all the dates, sub-categories of autism, knowing that it is possible to hide your behaviour if you are an aspie, what she had been doing for years, and all the conditions related to it.

She told a friend, who supported her a lot, and stuck by her, took her word for it, and adapted her behaviour to make it easier for the girl in social situations, in which she was constantly worried. She told her other friend, who understood, as she knew people with AS, and had dyslexia and dyspraxia. She then felt like it was time to tell her mother, who had split with her father when she was 8. Her mother was totally understanding, but didn't do a thing about it. She reminded her again, and again, and again, until her mother gave in and phoned the doctors. When her mother couldn't get an appointment, her mother gave up, saying "There's nothing wrong with you. You are just a typical insecure teenager who wants to give herself a label as an excuse for every problem in her life. Lesley is 100% sure you dont have it" (Lesley is a friend, and paediatritian, and apparently deals with a lot of teenagers who think
they have it).

Now she hasn't said a word about this since. And the last time she said anything was June this year. She doesn't know what to do. She has tried everything, absolutely everything- talking, subtle hints, letters, casual discussion... (Every time She mentions it, it feels like a hole is being punched through her chest).

Maybe one day her story will be resolved... if the aliens who call themselves her family open their eyes and smell the coffee. They think that she is perfect. She isn't. She is 100% sure she IS on the spectrum. No one will listen :cry:

The end. For now.

Update- Typical! My brother, who is 22, mentioned that when he gets back from his training course in London (Next week), he is going to see a GP about Asperger's, as he thinks he has it. I casually dropped in "Mum, will you take me? Please, just to see? You have been comparing us to eachother, and if we both have it, you will have assumed us both as normal! Compare me to other teens my age, then look. Take me, just to find out." She agreed that if my brother gets an assessment, I can go to the doctors, too! She listened to him, but not me, but still! I'm going!! ! HAPPY MUCH
xxxxx

Last edited by xemmaliex on 03 Oct 2010, 5:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2010, 1:17 pm

I'll write a positive story about my life, when I'm in my 60s or 70s. I don't have enough raw material, yet. :)