Harried mom stabs 13 year old autistic son

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

pezar
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2010, 5:26 pm

Here we go again:

http://www.kcra.com/news/25176044/detail.html

She couldn't handle him, so she tried to kill him. The jury will of course be sympathetic. She is black, so she may have had less access to support than a white parent would, although we've seen wealthy white moms killing autistic kids too. Modesto is 80 miles south of Sacramento.

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2010, 5:34 pm

What is with people saying things like "these autistic kids can be violent so we should keep that in mind before criticizing..." in the comments? Why do people think it is acceptable to stab a child?

I could imagine someone hitting their child under distress perhaps (not saying this is acceptable), but inflicting stab wounds is nothing but pure hatred. You have to be seriously twisted to do this.

pumibel
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2010, 6:01 pm

There are people who just "snap". It is horrible that she did it and the kid did not deserve that of course. He cant help it that he needs more care than other children. She probably had too much stress on her. The article states she had to leave her job to care for him "around the clock". The boy had surgeries and she had already been through a bankruptcy. I feel sorry for her, and even worse for the boy. I didn't see any mention of the father- it would have been a great help if he had been involved in the boy's life. Now people will judge her and where is the dad?

pezar
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2010, 7:32 pm

pezar wrote:
Here we go again:

http://www.kcra.com/news/25176044/detail.html

She couldn't handle him, so she tried to kill him. The jury will of course be sympathetic. She is black, so she may have had less access to support than a white parent would, although we've seen wealthy white moms killing autistic kids too. Modesto is 80 miles south of Sacramento.

From the Modesto newspaper:

http://www.modbee.com/2010/09/27/135652 ... desto.html

Feet bound with rope and stabbed so severely that it didn't look like he would live. Mom is "dazed" and not cooperating with cops. She served on a disability rights commission, so she had access to support. Go figure. I guess when your kid is too much to handle, you do a post-natal abortion nowadays.

luvsterriers
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2010, 7:35 pm

I have to say this about my cousin. We aren't that close and she isn't a nice person to me but she is the mother of 4 kids. One has spina bifida and needs a lot of care. Another son has ADD and LD. I'm sure she is under a lot of stress. The care for her son who has spina bifida is demanding but she loves him. There is no excuse to attempt to kill your own child.

If you're not happy with yourself, you'll never be happy with somebody else. (Don Omar)

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2010, 7:46 pm

Those mothers are the ones who need to be cured...of their ignorance.

mechanicalgirl39
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2010, 7:59 pm

f**k her. If she really couldn't handle him she could have called social services. She's just an excuse for a human being. Poor kid. I hope he recovers soon.

quiet_dove
Toucan
Toucan

27 Sep 2010, 8:07 pm

Poor kid. :( May he rest in peace. As for his mother, well, I just hope she gets more than a slap on the wrist and a few years of jail. She needs a life sentence, in my opinion.

raisedbyignorance
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2010, 8:42 pm

Is it okay for me to kill a neurotypical if I'm at my wit's end with them?

Would people feel sympathy for me if they're making my life a living hell?

Lene
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2010, 8:56 pm

The first time I read something like this, my sympathy was firmly with the mum and the lack of support (and the kid of course).

But this is about the third this year, and I've seen the list of all the other dead kids too. It's like it's become an acceptable alternative to either coping with it or getting outside help.

Peko
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2010, 9:26 pm

This is why I think most people shouldn't have children...

pumibel
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2010, 11:11 am

raisedbyignorance wrote:
Is it okay for me to kill a neurotypical if I'm at my wit's end with them?

Would people feel sympathy for me if they're making my life a living hell?

I would, but the problem is that this part of the story is never told. I don't think she should get off easy either- I was just saying that I felt sorry for her. I think she was not strong enough to handle her child's special needs and "lost it". There may be more information that comes out and we might find out that she has been doing horrible things all along, who knows. I think about the Texas woman who drowned all her kids and the woman in Maryland- both had schizophrenia and were not helped when they should have been. I am always looking for the other part of the story because of this. I am not saying it was OK for this woman to try to kill her son or that the son deserved it. She should be locked up for as long as legally possible for this.

I know what it is like to be overwhelmed and have no help. I didn't lose my mind, but I thought sometimes I would. I had a breakdown a few years ago, but I am not a violent person apparently because it never crossed my mind to harm someone else. I was suicidal, though- what does it take to switch from suicidal to homicidal?

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2010, 12:54 am

Violence is *NEVER* the answer. NEVER, ever, ever, ever.