Why do you talk about your obsessions?

Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Free-Hinter-System
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Sep 2010, 3:42 pm

I've been wondering about this.

I want to share my interests with others but I am always saddened when I do because they disappoint me so much with their response. I naturally think that they will be thrilled and gladdened by the thought of it and I am always wrong.

What is the point of talking about it?

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2010, 3:50 pm

I'm proud of attaining a high level of competence in my chosen field.

That competence becomes a medal, that I display on my chest , for others to see.

If that competence/obsession has commercial value, they will notice all right. But all the attention will go to the new valuable information

War veterans get to show their medals once a year, then they get put away.......

Cate
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Sep 2010, 4:00 pm

Hope.

I continue because I hope that someday I will not be disappointed in the response.

liveandletdie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2010, 4:20 pm

I only talk to people about it who are interested...

Unfortunately one of my interests is pharmecueticals, as well as natural remedies...

Good for some to live healthier lives, but mostly people just want to get high and I am their source for information though I am not blaimless in this regard.

Just one example, I have many obsessions but the same rules apply to all of them- hide them unless a good friend is interested and occasionally to outsiders who's interest seems genuine.

How do I know they are interested? They continue to ask about the topic...and stay on topic.

As to why i talk about my topic...to inform others usually because they asked for information.

Last edited by liveandletdie on 28 Sep 2010, 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Valoyossa
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2010, 4:22 pm

I talk, because this topic (my obsession) is soooo great and everybody should know this and feel the same. SOOOO GREAT!
And I feel more confident when I talk about things I know very well.
It's very exciting when somebody likes the same things (very rarely).

----
My Industrial Love: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBo5K0ZQIEY

Karlita
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

28 Sep 2010, 4:43 pm

I've read that AS people tend to focus on their special topics more when they're stressed or uncomfortable. I've noticed my boyfriend (undiagnosed AS, will get evaluation soon) does this when I bring up something in conversation that makes him stressed or uncomfortable. He tends to bring up (or pursue) his special topics with more vigor when he feels insecure, threatened (usually by an negative emotional topic concerning our relationship), etc. It's almost as if he likes to point out his credibility or strong points (his immense knowledge about, and competence with, his special interests), or just return to a topic that he is familiar with and finds comforting. When he does this I try to be patient, reassuring, and approach the subject (such as a negative emotional issue) gently, while trying not to overwhelm him or force the issue. This seems to help make him more comfortable about discussing it.

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2010, 5:06 pm

It's difficult to think of anything else to say when someone is talking to me. I never initiate conversation, so someone would have to say hi to me before I would go and talk about anything. It's easier to rattle off facts than to think of what would be the socially appropriate thing to ask that person.

Kenani
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

28 Sep 2010, 5:23 pm

We talk about our obsessions because those are the things we are interested in, just like NTs talk about the things they are interested in.

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2010, 5:29 pm

Because I'll burst if I don't

quiet_dove
Toucan
Toucan

28 Sep 2010, 5:42 pm

jmnixon95 wrote:
It's difficult to think of anything else to say when someone is talking to me. I never initiate conversation, so someone would have to say hi to me before I would go and talk about anything. It's easier to rattle off facts than to think of what would be the socially appropriate thing to ask that person.

This, plus the fact that my obsessions are the only area that I really feel "educated" in. If I try talking about anything else, I usually end up feeling dumb, since I don't know much about anything other than my obsessions.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2010, 6:12 pm

I'll pass out, if I don't talk about them.

Gallygun
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 Sep 2010, 6:15 pm

I usually don't.

I'm an art major, and you would THINK my fellow "artistic" peers would want to talk about the field and things related to it (like Japanese comics, which I love). But they never know what I'm talking about.

They always get so bored. Even my brother, who I love dearly, barely hears what I have to say, or comic books I have to show off.

I have no friends.

=(

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2010, 6:25 pm

I have to hinder myself a lot in this area. I know that most people don't give a darn about random bird knowledge, but occasionally people ask what do you like and I say birds. Then they usually ask some random question like "what is your favorite bird?" and that gives me an opportunity to explain at length my favorite birds and why. Some people are actually interested and fascinated by how much I know, stuff like that.

The American Robin and European Blackbird are very close relatives, both in the genus Turdus, but the American Blackbirds and European Robin are not. The European Robin and American Robin used to be placed in the same family, but the European Robin was split from the thrushes and placed with the chats and old world flycatchers. The American Blackbirds and European Blackbird and very distantly related.

Come on now, what crazy knowledge do you have? :)

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020

LuxoJr
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Sep 2010, 8:57 pm

I talk about only the ones that my friends share with me: writing, fantasy, steampunk, science fiction, the game Myst, dragons, anime/manga, etc
Which is why all of my true friends are nerds.
And which is why I am glad my uncle and everyone on his side of the family have some sort of autism spectrum disorder.

I make friends with people I can ONLY relate to and be myself around, which includes talking about my obsessions.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2010, 9:17 pm

I talk about my interests because they're the only thing that I find... well... interesting. Everything else seems extremely boring in comparison. Thankfully my current interests revolve around something that's socially acceptable: movies. I can bring it up to random strangers and I can usually name at least one movie that we both enjoy.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2010, 9:42 pm

I also like to talk to others about their interests, as well.