For those of you who drive....can you drive stick?

Page 3 of 5 [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

tetris
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2015, 5:32 am

iliketrees wrote:
I have never seen or know anyone with an automatic car, when I first heard of them I thought they were self drive :D I drive stick. I imagine it's hard to learn if you're used to automatic. I don't know if I could get used to a car that's automatic - how do they deal with hills and ice? Hills you need to drop a gear and ice you need to increase a gear. Do they have that much control? 8O

I've never driven one but my dad has hired them, we were in Austria at Christmas and you can shift them up an down a gear if you want. I'm not sure whether they'd pick themselves to go up or down a gear though.

artfulldodger
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Jun 2015, 7:08 am

I have been able to drive a stick since I was a teenager. In fact, I used to drive a semi truck (18 wheeler) for a living and that was an 18 speed manual transmission. I would rather have a stick over an auto, gives me more control over what gear I am in. Its also easier to cope with winter driving using the engine and lower gears to slow down instead of the brakes. dodger

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 59 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2015, 7:31 am

My car is stick shift. I have been driving it since I was 19.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2015, 8:12 am

tetris wrote:
iliketrees wrote:
I have never seen or know anyone with an automatic car, when I first heard of them I thought they were self drive :D I drive stick. I imagine it's hard to learn if you're used to automatic. I don't know if I could get used to a car that's automatic - how do they deal with hills and ice? Hills you need to drop a gear and ice you need to increase a gear. Do they have that much control? 8O

I've never driven one but my dad has hired them, we were in Austria at Christmas and you can shift them up an down a gear if you want. I'm not sure whether they'd pick themselves to go up or down a gear though.

This is an example of an automatic gear stick, with the option to change to a lower gear (2) when necessary and a standard drive(D) gear, you can see the options on the left of the stick. I like automatics for urban driving and for hill starts too because there isn't any clutch work :D.

tcorrielus
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2015, 9:45 am

Every car my parents bought always had a stick shift and I had to learn how to drive in it. I'm not sure why they preferred stick over automatic. Learning how to drive the stick was very challenging at the beginning, but the more I practiced, the better I became in driving it.

yogiB1
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

23 Jun 2015, 10:40 am

I've driven manual cars for years, I prefer it. If I drive someone's automatic, I have the habit of stepping on the floor where where the clutch petal would be :roll:.

bookworm360
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Jun 2015, 11:23 am

I learned to drive using an automatic and every car I've had is automatic, so I never bothered to learn driving stick, it just seemed pointless to me personally.

SameStars
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2015, 12:31 pm

All my lessons were in a car with stick shift. After that I've only driven in an automatic, but I miss driving stick.

Basso53
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2015, 2:43 pm

I can drive one. My current car is an automatic, my wife's car is a stick. I've owned both kinds over the years. I learned to drive on a stick---old Chevrolet station wagon with three speeds, shift on the steering column, or "three on the tree" as we used to say. :D

If you keep a manual transmission long enough, you'll have to replace the clutch. They are designed to wear. But it's still cheaper than a major repair to an automatic.

You seem to have both Aspie and neurotypical traits

pcuser
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2015, 3:09 pm

I learned to drive in the late sixties and don't remember anymore what they taught in drivers ed. However, I learned how to drive a stick very early. I can drive both and currently am driving a stick.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2015, 6:23 pm

Oh, you mean a car with a manual gearbox. I was wondering what driving stick was. Yes I can, I've never tried to drive anything else. When I first learned I kept whinging that it'd be much easier to do if it weren't for the damned gears, but I soon got the hang of it. They're practically all manual gearboxes here in the UK.

Don't know if you can do this with an automatic - driving slowly on ice, sometimes it's better to use a higher gear than you normally would, so the wheels don't suddenly accelerate, melt the ice, and lose traction.

I don't think anybody knows why US cars are automatic and UK ones are manual, but the best guess I've heard is that when they first invented automatics, they were fuel-inefficient compared with manual (assuming a reasonably competent driver). British petrol is VERY heavily taxed, so we had to keep our usage down. Automatics are much more efficient these days, but old habits die hard.

Oman5
Butterfly
Butterfly

30 Jul 2015, 1:59 am

I'm in the UK too, automatics are not very common. I have owned a few and on small engined cars I didn't really like them.
I drive trucks for a job, sometimes they have a 16 speed manual gearbox.
I owned a few american cars and I think automatics are fine when you have a big grunty V8 at the front, Chevvy caprice 305, cadillac Seville, Ford F-150 and they were all a decent drive.
My every day car is a volvo 940, turbo diesel with a manual box..I love it, the old fashioned Diesel engine is quite happy to run on waste cooking oil, filtered sump oil etc.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2015, 2:12 am

I cant remember the last time I was in a stick-shift car... probably as a kid, would be the last time.

I've never seen the point, myself. My car already goes at the speed I want it to based entirely on just the gas pedal... why would I need additional complications to that? But then, I know little about and have zero interest in cars, as far as I'm concerned they are boxes with seats that are on wheels that go from one point to another.

If I WERE to try to drive one, all that'd happen is something would end up broken.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2015, 2:18 am

Nothing pointless about a proper gearbox. All four of my cars have been manuals, three five speeds and one six. I'm psyched that Porsche released the first seven cog stickshift, it's actually the same box as their "automatic" with one less clutch and a whole lot less solenoids. Having a box with seats on wheels that doesn't tell me what it's doing always freaks me out. I can drive automatics but I'm a smoother and more natural driver with three pedals; anticipating corners and zipper merges are ALWAYS easier when you know how to blip-downshift and drop gears.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2015, 2:20 am

Oman5 wrote:
I'm in the UK too, automatics are not very common. I have owned a few and on small engined cars I didn't really like them.
I drive trucks for a job, sometimes they have a 16 speed manual gearbox.
I owned a few american cars and I think automatics are fine when you have a big grunty V8 at the front, Chevvy caprice 305, cadillac Seville, Ford F-150 and they were all a decent drive.
My every day car is a volvo 940, turbo diesel with a manual box..I love it, the old fashioned Diesel engine is quite happy to run on waste cooking oil, filtered sump oil etc.

I daily a V50 T5 AWD across the pond here, if they would've sold us the D4 turbodiesel ones I doubt I'd want another car for life.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2015, 2:36 am

Misery wrote:
I cant remember the last time I was in a stick-shift car... probably as a kid, would be the last time.

I've never seen the point, myself. My car already goes at the speed I want it to based entirely on just the gas pedal... why would I need additional complications to that? But then, I know little about and have zero interest in cars, as far as I'm concerned they are boxes with seats that are on wheels that go from one point to another.

If I WERE to try to drive one, all that'd happen is something would end up broken.

It gives more control. Like if you're speeding down a steep hill you can drop down a gear to save your breaks - each gear has "engine breaking", keeping the car from going too fast without using the breaks constantly down a hill which could make them overheat. It's also very useful on ice where you want to be in the highest gear you can be at your current speed to stop the wheels spinning, which loses the control. You don't want any sudden movements on ice so controlling the gear you're in does help. Also going up hills helps if you're in a lower gear since they have more accellleration. And if you pull into a fast road and need to speed up to stop the cars rear-ending you then you can leave it in each gear for longer (so instead of changing out of 3rd gear when you reach, say, 35 mph, you can let it go up to 45 mph). They're a bit harder to learn though, but worth it in my opinion for the added control you get. Not sure if you can do what I've said in automatics.