For those of you who drive....can you drive stick?

Page 3 of 5 [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

irishwhistle
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 30 Sep 2006
Age: 47
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,272

29 Sep 2010, 12:51 pm

zer0netgain wrote:
It's not a big deal. It's all about getting a feel for the clutch, which can vary from vehicle to vehicle, but once you find that "sweet spot" where it engages/disengages, it's not long until you're shifting smoothly.

I prefer manuals because they are lower maintenance than automatics. You also have more control over your torque options in poor driving conditions.


Hey, just out of curiosity, how are they lower maintenance than automatics? I know diddly about it, :D so please keep it simple.


_________________
"Pack up my head, I'm goin' to Paris!" - P.W.

The world loves diversity... as long as it's pretty, makes them look smart and doesn't put them out in any way.

There's the road, and the road less traveled, and then there's MY road.


MXH
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 28 Jul 2010
Age: 29
Gender: Male
Posts: 13,029
Location: Here i stand and face the rain

29 Sep 2010, 1:20 pm

Ive driven stick once and without anyone teaching me i had zero problems even on a decent hill.



Jigsaw
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

User avatar

Joined: 14 Sep 2010
Age: 64
Gender: Female
Posts: 32

29 Sep 2010, 3:03 pm

I drive, and I learned on a 'stick' shift back in the 70's. Prefer it to automatic, for icy weather, etc.


_________________
Patti


Your Aspie score: 180 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 31 of 200

You are very likely an Aspie (Ya think?!?!? :? )


DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 22 Feb 2008
Age: 61
Gender: Female
Posts: 11,006
Location: Northern California

29 Sep 2010, 4:26 pm

I'm not a good driver overall, but I like driving a stick. Among other things, it gives me more to do, so I am less likely to find my mind wandering. Also, it really puts you in touch with the feel of the car, and the mechanics of it, which is another thing I probably never would have done without being forced to.

I learned shortly after college, when I bought my first car from a neighbor. It was a stick, and I had to figure out how to drive it since I had bought it, lol. I was definitely worried about it, I confess, and I'm sure it was a rocky start. I'm still a little hard on my clutch, but I can see why you probably took to it. It takes a different type of coordination than other things you've mentioned; this one is really about getting in touch with the machine, more than being physically coordinated, if that makes sense.

While I'm not AS per se, I think I share some of the common impairments many AS seem to have when it comes to driving. The stick actually helps overcome them.


_________________
Mom to an amazing AS son, who recently graduated from the university (plus an also amazing non-AS daughter). Most likely part of the "Broader Autism Phenotype" (some traits).


Mdyar
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 28 May 2009
Age: 55
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,516

29 Sep 2010, 7:31 pm

irishwhistle wrote:
zer0netgain wrote:
It's not a big deal. It's all about getting a feel for the clutch, which can vary from vehicle to vehicle, but once you find that "sweet spot" where it engages/disengages, it's not long until you're shifting smoothly.

I prefer manuals because they are lower maintenance than automatics. You also have more control over your torque options in poor driving conditions.


Hey, just out of curiosity, how are they lower maintenance than automatics? I know diddly about it, :D so please keep it simple.


I hope I'm not intruding here:
Automatics require a filter & fluid service(change) at 30k miles. Some older "ones" also had a reverse band adjustment at this interval.
Automatics have altogether between 13 and 16 quarts of transmission fluid. But a partial 5 qt. change is all that is needed @ 30k miles.
When they "go" it will cost $2000 to replace. If you get 175k you're doing good and are probably exceptional.

Sooner or later a manual transmission will need a clutch and throwout bearing replacement. Some need fluid changes at shorter intervals as my Ford used ATF fluid and required a 30k change. But it only took several quarts( 3-4?). And some go a lot longer.
My dad would do this work himself and I think you're looking at $200 for 80,000 miles.The wear/interval depends on driving habits.

If you look at a car as an investment, then the "stick" is more cost effective.



irishwhistle
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 30 Sep 2006
Age: 47
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,272

29 Sep 2010, 10:13 pm

Mdyar wrote:
irishwhistle wrote:
zer0netgain wrote:
It's not a big deal. It's all about getting a feel for the clutch, which can vary from vehicle to vehicle, but once you find that "sweet spot" where it engages/disengages, it's not long until you're shifting smoothly.

I prefer manuals because they are lower maintenance than automatics. You also have more control over your torque options in poor driving conditions.


Hey, just out of curiosity, how are they lower maintenance than automatics? I know diddly about it, :D so please keep it simple.


I hope I'm not intruding here:
Automatics require a filter & fluid service(change) at 30k miles. Some older "ones" also had a reverse band adjustment at this interval.
Automatics have altogether between 13 and 16 quarts of transmission fluid. But a partial 5 qt. change is all that is needed @ 30k miles.
When they "go" it will cost $2000 to replace. If you get 175k you're doing good and are probably exceptional.

Sooner or later a manual transmission will need a clutch and throwout bearing replacement. Some need fluid changes at shorter intervals as my Ford used ATF fluid and required a 30k change. But it only took several quarts( 3-4?). And some go a lot longer.
My dad would do this work himself and I think you're looking at $200 for 80,000 miles.The wear/interval depends on driving habits.

If you look at a car as an investment, then the "stick" is more cost effective.


Thanks, you're not intruding at all, that was just what I was wondering. It goes a long way toward explaining why the manual transmission is still around when automatic is "easier" (which I put in quotes because not everyone has a problem with manual as we have discovered here).


_________________
"Pack up my head, I'm goin' to Paris!" - P.W.

The world loves diversity... as long as it's pretty, makes them look smart and doesn't put them out in any way.

There's the road, and the road less traveled, and then there's MY road.


beady
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 22 Sep 2013
Age: 61
Gender: Female
Posts: 553

22 Jun 2015, 9:07 pm

female

First drove a stick as a teen.. my brother taught me on his Fiat.

It was love at first drive and this was in the steep hills near San Francisco.

More recently, I drove a Subaru Impreza WRX for years , awesomely fun! I really miss it!
I feel much more connected to the vehicle with manual transmission, as a previous poster said, you have to pay more attention to your driving even after it becomes second nature.
Shifting between 1st and 2nd is, of course, always the most difficult to do smoothly.
To hell with anybody who gets pissed off when you stall. Give an apologetic wave, then just relax and focus on the process of what you need to do. Practice, practice, practice - like anything else.



kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 69,957
Location: Queens, NYC

22 Jun 2015, 9:19 pm

I can't drive stick shift. I would like to learn.

It's cheaper to maintain because the transmission is cheaper, in manual transmissions, to replace should it need replacing.



Britte
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 23 Nov 2014
Gender: Female
Posts: 8,136
Location: @

22 Jun 2015, 9:43 pm

I drive a Fiat 500, stick. Wish I had one of the older model Fiats that you must have learned, on, beady.

kraftiekortie, you may really like driving a stick, so I suggest learning, if you have the opportunity. If you find it a bit nerve racking or frustrating, at first, don't give up, because, once you get it down, it becomes second nature, and can be a lot of fun. Or, at least, it can add dimension to the driving experience. Is that the real 'you', in your profile photo, by the way?



kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 69,957
Location: Queens, NYC

22 Jun 2015, 9:48 pm

Yep....that's me about five years ago.



MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 15 Jan 2012
Gender: Female
Posts: 8,611

22 Jun 2015, 10:32 pm

We have a stick shift, and an automatic vehicle. They both have their positives, but I occasionally keep wanting to hit the clutch in the automatic :mrgreen:



tetris
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Nov 2011
Age: 25
Gender: Female
Posts: 730
Location: Scotland

23 Jun 2015, 3:51 am

Manual is the default car here. The only issue I had with a manual was the instructors car when learning to drive, the biting point was higher than on my car and I kept forgetting. Apart from that and the first 5 minutes figuring it out it was never difficult for me, I found it quite easy.



iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 16 Mar 2013
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,155
Location: Earth

23 Jun 2015, 4:49 am

I have never seen or know anyone with an automatic car, when I first heard of them I thought they were self drive :D I drive stick. I imagine it's hard to learn if you're used to automatic. I don't know if I could get used to a car that's automatic - how do they deal with hills and ice? Hills you need to drop a gear and ice you need to increase a gear. Do they have that much control? 8O



tetris
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Nov 2011
Age: 25
Gender: Female
Posts: 730
Location: Scotland

23 Jun 2015, 5:32 am

iliketrees wrote:
I have never seen or know anyone with an automatic car, when I first heard of them I thought they were self drive :D I drive stick. I imagine it's hard to learn if you're used to automatic. I don't know if I could get used to a car that's automatic - how do they deal with hills and ice? Hills you need to drop a gear and ice you need to increase a gear. Do they have that much control? 8O


I've never driven one but my dad has hired them, we were in Austria at Christmas and you can shift them up an down a gear if you want. I'm not sure whether they'd pick themselves to go up or down a gear though.



artfulldodger
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

User avatar

Joined: 18 May 2014
Age: 47
Gender: Male
Posts: 150
Location: Indiana

23 Jun 2015, 7:08 am

I have been able to drive a stick since I was a teenager. In fact, I used to drive a semi truck (18 wheeler) for a living and that was an 18 speed manual transmission. I would rather have a stick over an auto, gives me more control over what gear I am in. Its also easier to cope with winter driving using the engine and lower gears to slow down instead of the brakes. dodger


_________________
AQ score 43
RAADS-R 221
Your Aspie score: 153 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 59 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie


League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2010
Gender: Female
Posts: 23,890
Location: Pacific Northwest

23 Jun 2015, 7:31 am

My car is stick shift. I have been driving it since I was 19.


_________________
Son: Diagnosed w/anxiety and ADHD. Also academic delayed.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.