An animal shelter 18%  18%  [ 2 ]
Other 45%  45%  [ 5 ]
I haven't volunteered, but I plan to soon. 18%  18%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 11

IceCreamGirl
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2010, 7:59 am

I've worked at a food bank and donated to World Wildlife Fund.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2010, 8:01 am

Don't think so. I plan to donate to the National Autistic Society when I get a decent income though.

nekowafer
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Sep 2010, 9:02 am

I volunteer at a ferret-specific shelter often. I was fostering 4 ferrets, but decided to adopt 2 of them. I intend to adopt the other two soon. I also work at events, go to adopt-a-thons, and help play with adorable baby ferrets.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2010, 11:52 am

nekowafer wrote:
. . . at a ferret-specific shelter often. I was fostering 4 ferrets, but decided to adopt 2 of them. I intend to adopt the other two soon. I also work at events, . . .

This is the kind of activism I like! Hands-on. And you get to see the interplay between theory and practice.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2010, 12:17 pm

Activism is generally disappointing.

I first participated with groups protesting military aid to El Salvador way back in 1989, then I protested my government's (I am proudly an American, but no, I don't agree with everything my government does) build-up for war in the Persian Gulf, when we could have had a peace dividend, when we could have wound down the Cold War. (now we risk a new arms race with China and it's entirely unnecessary).

And the upshot is, peace groups have the same problems as any other groups. Posturing for status, jockeying for position, as well as long boring meetings (and not enough people practicing host behavior), and often leaders who are sorry they volunteered in the first, don't want any more work, and certainly don't want any more suggestions, and who actually feel some resentment to the whole thing. It certainly is not standing around singing Kum Ba Ya all the time.

Okay, and I wish the following wasn't true, but it seems to be true: Peace activists are more suspicious of 'weird' people than a kayaking or stamp collecting group would be (and by 'weird,' I mean anyone different in any way, including good creative ways, including neutral creative way, and including creative creative ways!) And I think this somewhat standoffish behavior is for two reasons: 1) they have heard enough stories of cointelpro, FBI surveillance, informers, etc, to be a little spooked, because although some of this is urban legend, they is enough element of truth to be concerned. Now, a civil libertarian may talk about this as a "chilling effect." People with a more authoritarian outlook who are simple against protesters may think that this chilling effect is good. Obviously I don't agree. And 2) people who feel strongly enough to publicly protest a war often have gone through a recent period of personal growth, and are now rather in a consolidation period. I think so. All I know is when I tried to talk about academic ethics (cool cats like Bertrand Russell, or modern versions of utilitarianism, and Bertie is only kind of sort of a utilitarian and it's probably better that way), that went over like a lead balloon. And to complicate matters, sure, I probably was doing my sometimes pattern of all sending-no receiving. I had a couple of friendship possibilities, didn't make friends. It's more light touch and then following up in a medium way (easy and comfortable), but there's somewhat more to it than just that, and I'm still learning.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2010, 1:16 pm

Last edited by Willard on 04 Oct 2010, 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2010, 2:21 pm

What do I look like a charity? :lol:

Apera
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2010, 4:07 pm

I'm a scout, so I do many charitable things. I've worked at a soup kitchen, I've helped tidy up camps and parks... we do it all.

But they do not have me

rchamberlin
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

29 Sep 2010, 4:25 pm

I've been a hospice volunteer and a (trained) grief support facilitator.

I've also been involved in many projects via my membership in KIWANIS.

I've also been a men's sponsor at the local Women's Shelter.

Meadow
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2010, 4:31 pm

I sponsored a child in Bolivia for a number of years, and donate as much as I can to the VA and to animal protection and rights organizations.