Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

hmeboy
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

29 Sep 2010, 5:18 pm

Hi Everyone, I just joined the community, I got the link from the toronto star article and from the quiz that i orginally took at rdos dot net. I recently (2 days ago) found out that I most likely have AS, (self diagnosed). I took the aforementioned quiz and got 123 out of 200 Aspie. THEN, I concentrated (quieted my internal dialogue!), was honest (i knew which questions were going to skew my results), redid the quiz and scored 183 out of 200 Aspie, 36 out of 200 NT.

I have to admit, I am not all that surprised, but also very relieved to discover there is an explanation for why I am why I am.

My question is..I *really* fit a lot of the AS criteria very much, to a tee (right now I'm being distracted by some people talking) but some of it, I am the complete opposite.. I guess I'm wondering if that's typical, to have some of the criteria but not all of it?

FYI I wrote this once before, but got a general error and it erased all my text. So after some very intense internal frustration and swearing, some editing, proofreading, correction and 15 minutes..here it is! :D

alex
Developer
Developer

29 Sep 2010, 5:28 pm

It's typical to meet only some of the criteria

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2010, 6:18 pm

There's a lot of variation among people with AS. Some people have only some traits. Some will have some traits that are more severe and other traits that are less so.

I only have relatively mild AS.but my social functioning has been severely affected. It varies from person to person.

MotownDangerPants
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2010, 8:26 pm

I am the same way as far as being at the complete opposite end of the spectrum for some of the criteria.

I score higher than many aspies on the Aspie quiz, 147, but I actually don't think I have AS, when it comes down to it. I've learned a lot on this site and I'm still very intrigued/fasciniated byt the overlapping traits of AS and ADHD in some cases (including my own), but I think that I'm really just an ADHDer with some strong autistic traits. I fit perfectly with some of the criteria and not AT ALL with other aspects, I'm much more like an ADHDer in many ways.

In reality, I could be somewhere in between the two but the fact is that I simply don't have as many struggles as most Aspies have. I can relate to the exact same feelings and issues that only Aspies truly understand, but I just don't have the impairments as significantly as most Aspies do, nor do I possess the giftedness or talent to the degree that most Aspies do in certian areas that allow them to excel at their special interests, so for all intents and purposes I don't consider myself one.

hmeboy
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

30 Sep 2010, 11:07 am

MotownDangerPants wrote:
I am the same way as far as being at the complete opposite end of the spectrum for some of the criteria.

I score higher than many aspies on the Aspie quiz, 147, but I actually don't think I have AS, when it comes down to it. I've learned a lot on this site and I'm still very intrigued/fasciniated byt the overlapping traits of AS and ADHD in some cases (including my own), but I think that I'm really just an ADHDer with some strong autistic traits. I fit perfectly with some of the criteria and not AT ALL with other aspects, I'm much more like an ADHDer in many ways.

In reality, I could be somewhere in between the two but the fact is that I simply don't have as many struggles as most Aspies have. I can relate to the exact same feelings and issues that only Aspies truly understand, but I just don't have the impairments as significantly as most Aspies do, nor do I possess the giftedness or talent to the degree that most Aspies do in certian areas that allow them to excel at their special interests, so for all intents and purposes I don't consider myself one.

Like you, I don't have as many struggles as most Aspies have, but I can attribute that to the fact that at 39 - i have spent my entire life dealing with those challenges in my own way. I always knew I was different, kids certainly weren't shy enough to tell me as much that's for sure, but now I know why.

IN ANY CASE, I have a follow up question; Is this a genetic trait passed from father to son? I am hesitant to seek a professional diagnosis, as I dont see the point for me personally: however I have a 3 year old son who is very much like me in a lot of ways

MotownDangerPants
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2010, 11:45 am

hmeboy wrote:
MotownDangerPants wrote:

Like you, I don't have as many struggles as most Aspies have, but I can attribute that to the fact that at 39 - i have spent my entire life dealing with those challenges in my own way. I always knew I was different, kids certainly weren't shy enough to tell me as much that's for sure, but now I know why.

IN ANY CASE, I have a follow up question; Is this a genetic trait passed from father to son? I am hesitant to seek a professional diagnosis, as I dont see the point for me personally: however I have a 3 year old son who is very much like me in a lot of ways

Genetics are definitely a strong factor. Do you have any autistics or people diagnosed with ADHD in your family? The traits tend to pop up and manifest themselves in different ways all over a person's family tree.

It doesn't mean that your son would be just like, though it's possible.

hmeboy
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

30 Sep 2010, 2:24 pm

MotownDangerPants wrote:
hmeboy wrote:
MotownDangerPants wrote:

Genetics are definitely a strong factor. Do you have any autistics or people diagnosed with ADHD in your family? The traits tend to pop up and manifest themselves in different ways all over a person's family tree.

It doesn't mean that your son would be just like, though it's possible.

Thanks for the reply. No autism or ADHD in my family that I know of, definitely none diagnosed.

I will have to keep an eye on him