Page 1 of 8 [ 124 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2010, 7:28 pm

I may get slammed for this, but I don't care.

Women aren't so helpless that they can't open their own doors, or pull out their own chairs. We aren't so shy that we are incapable of ordering our own food.

Teach children to help those in need... not to ignore the single father struggling with kids so they can open a f*****g door for a woman holding nothing.

nekowafer
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Sep 2010, 7:32 pm

TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:

Women aren't so helpless that they can't open their own doors, or pull out their own chairs. We aren't so shy that we are incapable of ordering our own food.

Teach children to help those in need... not to ignore the single father struggling with kids so they can open a f***ing door for a woman holding nothing.

It isn't meant to show that we're helpless. It's meant to show respect. That said, I'd rather a guy open the door for that man than for me. I don't require/need/request chivalry. It's just nice sometimes.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2010, 7:34 pm

How does it show respect?

Fluke83
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Sep 2010, 7:45 pm

TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:

Teach children to help those in need... not to ignore the single father struggling with kids so they can open a f***ing door for a woman holding nothing.

The scenario you're describing is a prime example of the kind of women I despise, the ones that think they're entitled to having men succumb to their every whim, just because "We're women, dammit, all men should bow to Us!! !!"

Which is not a trait that only pertains to women though, I generally have little understanding for people who think they are entitled to anything much beyond food, shelter, general respect, compassion and love.

And while the things you mention (opening doors, pull out chairs, ordering our own food) usually is something I fully expect do to myself and get incredibly flustered and insecure if someone does it for me (don't know what to do with it) it is something I secretly yearn to have someone do for me, and be comfortable with, in my own way......

nekowafer
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Sep 2010, 7:47 pm

TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:

By being polite and helpful. I do it for my boyfriend too.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2010, 7:51 pm

nekowafer wrote:
TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:

By being polite and helpful. I do it for my boyfriend too.

I already addressed doing it for both genders. What I don't get is how so many women think it's disrespectful for a man not to show her special treatment. I was told on another forum today that chivalry was 'showing respect for femininity'. I don't understand this... isn't that like saying women cooking and cleaning for men is a show of respect for their masculinity?

Why is one considered sexist and the other 'just polite and respectful'?

atindo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Sep 2010, 7:58 pm

I'd open the door to the kitchen...

nekowafer
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Sep 2010, 7:59 pm

I think it's ridiculous for a woman to expect it. If she can expect it of him, he should expect it of her. It's holding on to tradition in the most annoying way.

OneStepBeyond
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2010, 8:21 pm

Eh. I like it when men open doors for me.
The only time I've objected was recently when someone leaned over me to yank at a door I was in the process of opening myself. Sure, it was a heavy door, but I think I had it covered.

I open doors for 'struggling single fathers' too, don't worry.

Erisad
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2010, 9:11 pm

I hold doors for everybody. I just think I'm being nice. >.<

menintights
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2010, 9:19 pm

common courtesy =/= chivalry

If I'm walking right behind you (and especially if I have both of my hands full), whether you're male or female or something in-between, I do expect you to hold the door open for me instead of letting it slam in my face.

But to expect a male to do something "nice" for you just because you're female is dumb. It's also counterproductive.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2010, 9:26 pm

menintights wrote:
common courtesy =/= chivalry

If I'm walking right behind you (and especially if I have both of my hands full), whether you're male or female or something in-between, I do expect you to hold the door open for me instead of letting it slam in my face.

But to expect a male to do something "nice" for you just because you're female is dumb. It's also counterproductive.

Exactly. I was trying to get women on another forum to see this, and they basically called me stupid. A few even said sexism only referred to women being discriminated against.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2010, 9:27 pm

Erisad wrote:

Good. That's the way everyone should be. Like menintights pointed out, that's just common courtesy.

Erisad
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2010, 9:30 pm

TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:
Erisad wrote:

Good. That's the way everyone should be. Like menintights pointed out, that's just common courtesy.

Yaaaaaaay! ^_^

I does bother me that people will let a door slam in my face when my arms are full with groceries. I know they saw me, they cut in front of me to get to the door first after all. How rude. D:

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2010, 10:45 pm

TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:

This is exactly what i mean when i mean equality for both sexes. Chivalry needs to be exterminated. The concept is mostly prevalent in older people, but they will die soon, and a whole new generation brought up with true equality in mind is coming along soon.

Kaybee
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2010, 11:47 pm

atindo wrote:
I'd open the door to the kitchen...

How thoughtful! Can I get you a sandwich while I'm in here? :wink: