Is Wrong Planet kind of like the blind leading the blind?

Page 2 of 4 [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Merle
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2010, 9:56 pm

No.

We have a constant influx of old posters, new posters and outsiders who find this site from the basic Google/Bing searches.

The old timers get the opportunity to refine their answer and adjust in light of new information. Plus they simply age more and gain even more experience and insight. The new guard steps up, hopefully tries a few things (reporting back) and potentially new points of data. Plus not everyone with AS is on WP, so the people who seek help may be able to take a piece of wisdom (haha) or knowledge (haha) or at the very least additional information in order to make a better decision and act accordingly.

Ultimately, we are all better for it. It's an ever growing book of research, knowledge and case studies.

A thousand monkeys can bang out Shakespere... Well if we go with the number of users here, we'll uncover the secrets of the universe given enough time!

kingtut3
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Oct 2010, 6:28 pm

Not all the time. Some of us have overcome the difficulties of AS, so we know what to do. Aspies understand the difficulties a lot better than many NT's.

Synecdoche
Toucan
Toucan

04 Oct 2010, 7:16 pm

Sure. Just like NT leading NT or NT leading AS/HFA or HFA/AS leading NT is.

TheWeirdPig
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Oct 2010, 12:08 pm

I think any forum or discussion group could potentially be the blind leading the blind. It is important to understand the problem before replying. I have received poor advice in other forums because it was the generally accepted answer rather than specific to my problem. Ok, I am bitter about this, but I am learning to take people's reply's with a grain of salt. That doesn't mean there cannot be some great replies. Just look at replies as to how they relate to the question. and remember, just because it worked for someone else does not mean it will work for me.

Friskeygirl
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2010, 12:57 pm

BTDT wrote:
It is better than getting advice from folks who can't understand or comprehend why you don't see the obvious.

Like when you ask a stupid question, you get a stupid answer

daspie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2010, 10:47 pm

In some cases it is true.
However there are few, like me :) and nostromos, who have far better understanding of language and mind reading. See the rules on language I have come up with which has explained my life social faux pas. Nostromos also showed a fair deal of understanding of those rules.
http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt128701.html

Merle
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2010, 11:45 am

daspie wrote:
However there are few, like me :) and nostromos, who have far better understanding of language and mind reading. See the rules on language I have come up with which has explained my life social faux pas. Nostromos also showed a fair deal of understanding of those rules.

So far off base it's not even funny. Well if could be funny along the same vein as dead baby jokes (e.g. 3AM w/ a bottle of liquor or when you're 12)

daspie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2010, 12:46 pm

Merle wrote:
daspie wrote:

So far off base it's not even funny. Well if could be funny along the same vein as dead baby jokes (e.g. 3AM w/ a bottle of liquor or when you're 12)

I meant to be humble by that emotican. To express myself as being funny I would have used lol expression :) . Now you know why I used a smile emotican- to not cause offense.

Last edited by daspie on 10 Oct 2010, 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Merle
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2010, 5:41 pm

daspie wrote:
Merle wrote:
daspie wrote:

I meant to be humble with that emotican. To express myself as being funny I would have used lol expression :) . Now you know why I used a smile emotican this time- to not cause offense.

And there you go. The phrase "so <blank> it's not even funny" is to not point out that the incident or point is to be humorous, but that the issue is past the point of being funny. E.g. "so tired it's not even funny", "so true it's not even funny".

Your cues and rules may work for you, however when I look at them and see many exceptions indicating failure, then they can no longer be thought of as rules. For a rule to hold true, it must hold true in all cases w/o exception. Otherwise it's a simple guideline.

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2010, 5:55 pm

I don't think it's entirely like the blind leading the blind. There are a bunch of people here that can give you advice on what not to do.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2010, 6:02 pm

It depends on the individual. Darn...I've said it again.

Merle
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2010, 9:07 pm

daspie wrote:
Merle wrote:
daspie wrote:

I meant to be humble with that emotican. To express myself as being funny I would have used lol expression :) . Now you know why I used a smile emotican this time- to not cause offense.

And there you go. The phrase "so <blank> it's not even funny" is to not point out that the incident or point is to be humorous, but that the issue is past the point of being funny. E.g. "so tired it's not even funny", "so true it's not even funny".

Your cues and rules may work for you, however when I look at them and see many exceptions indicating failure, then they can no longer be thought of as rules. For a rule to hold true, it must hold true in all cases w/o exception. Otherwise it's a simple guideline.

Hector
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2010, 11:28 pm

I posted a thread in another one of the subforums here a few weeks back, polling on whether people felt that WP was a help to them. The results were, as of this post, 25 yes, 10 no. See here. That's a pretty good average, at least assuming that people who claim to have benefited actually did benefit. This wasn't particular to the Love and Dating forum, though.

I still think the Love and Dating forum is fairly weak as a support forum, especially for the perpetually single 20+ crowd that supposedly dominate it. Certainly if you find yourself perpetually single, and not wanting to be, you can find plenty of people to relate to. But there's not as much of an emphasis on really changing that, or of people with a similar personal history talking about their successes, as I think there should be if this place is really a support forum. I haven't looked into it very much, partly because I dislike the very term "involuntary celibacy", but the involuntary celibacy forums seem at least a little better in this regard at least for lurking.

I also imagine that people asking for general in-relationship advice, not necessarily pertaining to AS symptoms, could probably get better insight somewhere else, but I don't feel qualified to make any particular suggestion of an alternative.

Merle
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2010, 12:08 pm

Hector wrote:
I posted a thread in another one of the subforums here a few weeks back, polling on whether people felt that WP was a help to them. The results were, as of this post, 25 yes, 10 no. See here. That's a pretty good average, at least assuming that people who claim to have benefited actually did benefit. This wasn't particular to the Love and Dating forum, though.

Make another poll? Would be interesting to see the results. AS folks would have strengths and (major) weaknesses in different areas. I would think that relationship of a personal nature would create more of a disparity in the polling results.

MirandaRights
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Oct 2010, 2:23 pm

deadeyexx wrote:
Not really. Most aspies have a ton of useful information stored in thier heads. Just not the intuitive ability to use it well.

I've given second-hand advice to NTs who could follow it loads better than I ever could.

Ditto.

I've read an awful lot about dating, as part of my attempts to find a my soul mate. One evening about 2 and a half years ago I was biking with an NT friend who told me he'd been on the phone for a couple months with a girl who at that point planning a very ambitious trip to meet him. I proceeded to tell him some of the advice that I had read in a book about moving the emotional relationship along and knowing when it was time to get engaged. (The book is called "The Inner Circle: The Seven Gates to Marriage" -- it might be good for aspies. If you're interested, google it, because I'm not active enough to convince the forum software that I'm not a spammer). He later told me the advice was very helpful.

Two (of their) kids later, I'm still single and struggling to find my soul mate.

Last edited by MirandaRights on 10 Oct 2010, 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SpongeBobRocksMao
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2010, 6:07 pm

It depends, if those replying are just as stuck as you are then yes, but a lot of people here actually give great advice and can be really helpful.

SpongeBobRocksMao!