Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

persian85033
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2010, 9:12 am

Anyone know if I can find an English or Spanish copy of Histoire de la Monarchie universelle: Napoléon et la conquête du monde (1812–1832) (History of the Universal Monarchy: Napoleon And The Conquest Of The World)?

"Of all God's creatures, there is only one that cannot be made slave of the leash. That one is the cat. If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve the man, but it would deteriorate the cat." - Mark Twain

Dylanperr
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2019, 10:49 pm

I like alternate history as well.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2019, 12:40 am

Alternate history is always fun. One of my favorites is Lest Darkness Fall, by L. Sprague De Camp.

Dylanperr
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2019, 12:51 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
Alternate history is always fun. One of my favorites is Lest Darkness Fall, by L. Sprague De Camp.

What is that?

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2019, 1:23 am

Dylanperr wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

What is that?

A history professor named Martin Padway, while visiting pre-WWII Italy, just after having a discussion about alternate timelines, is suddenly thrust back into 6th century Rome ruled by the Ostrogoths. Attempting to avert the Dark Ages, he inserts himself into Ostrogoth politics with his knowledge of history in order to keep the crude but tolerant Goths in power, defeating the Byzantine invasion which would otherwise leave Italy a blackened boneyard.

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2019, 12:31 am

Turtledove is one of the masters of the genre.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2019, 5:13 pm

11/22/63 by Stephen King is also a great book if you want to read something set on an epic scale.

It asks the question: What would the world be like if JFK survived his assassination?

The book's lead protagonist is high school teacher Jake Epping who is told by an acquaintance to go back in time to prevent the assassination of JFK before it actually happens. When Jake arrives, he becomes attached to his new life so much that his feelings could be the undoing of his mission. He also falls in love and in turn has to decide whether to lie about himself or to tell the truth about himself.

The book was made into a mini-series in 2016 with James Franco as Jake and produced by JJ Abrams.

Dylanperr
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2019, 4:21 am

My favourite alt history scenario is what if France wins the Seven Years War or what if the American Revolution never happened.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2020, 7:12 pm

Lincoln's Bodyguard by TJ Turner follows the same formula as 11/22/63 and asks a similar question; the question being: What would the US have turned into had the assassination of Abraham Lincoln never happened?

The book's lead character is Joseph, Lincoln's bodyguard who stops John Wilkes Booth, but later goes on the run not only for obvious reasons, but also because he wants to avenge the murder of his wife and find his missing daughter.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2020, 4:00 am

What if the bailouts after the 2008 collapse did not happen?

My guess is we would have had a brutal depression on par if not worse then the 1930s one. There would be less corporate expectations of "entitlements" and receiving"entitlements" and the debt would not be spiraling out of control.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2020, 11:37 am

What if Theia had not collided with Tellus and formed the Earth-Moon system?

It was 4.5 billion years ago last week that the young planetesimal Earth -- named Tellus -- was forming from the sun's accretion disk of dust and boulders. Several other aspiring planets were building up nearby. One particularly promising young protoplanet was making some exemplary progress by loitering in Earth's Lagrange point, allowing it to share Earth's orbit by staying at a gravitationally neutral distance. As the mass of both young Earth and her smaller rival, Thiea increased, the gravitationally stable Lagrange point was insufficient to keep the worldlets apart, and the proto-worlds were drawn together. Theia, approximately Mars-sized by now, accelerated toward and slammed into Earth at an oblique angle. The heavy core of the smaller world didn't have the velocity to escape Earth, but a large swath of the lighter mantle material of both were flung into orbit. Within the year, the moon we know was well-under construction -- or so goes the popular theory. No one bothered to record for us the the rate of Earth's spin before the incident, but like a glancing shot off a billiards ball, the Giant Impact certainly made sure it was spinning afterward.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Dylanperr
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2020, 2:21 am

Should I create a thread and write an entire alternate history scenario in it? I am on alternatehistory.com.

Dylanperr
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2020, 12:09 am

Alternate history is a fun and always interesting subject.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2020, 1:02 pm

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Dylanperr
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2020, 1:23 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:

Very interesting

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2020, 2:44 am

i sorta miss those days.