Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2010, 1:04 pm

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2010, 1:12 pm

I wanted to post this a while ago........

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2010, 5:45 pm

My wife and I got a real laugh from both these pics. :lol:

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

pgd
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2010, 8:55 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
My wife and I got a real laugh from both these pics. :lol:

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

---

Agree. I also laughed.

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2010, 10:06 am

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2010, 2:03 am

Some years ago my wife and I visited the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. From the lookout area I shouted at the top of my lungs: "Six Thousand Years, my ass!" and it echoed back from all the surrounding rocky cliffs "My ass... my ass ... my ass".

My wife says she cannot take me anywhere.

ruveyn

Tensu
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2010, 2:21 am

You all seem to have a huge misunderstanding of creationism. just because evolution deniers are vocal doesn't mean they are the end-all be-all of what creationism is. You're all making fun of an idea you know nothing about, and thus aren't really any different from evolution deniers yourselves.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2010, 2:23 am

Tensu wrote:
You all seem to have a huge misunderstanding of creationism. just because evolution deniers are vocal doesn't mean they are the end-all be-all of what creationism is. You're all making fun of an idea you know nothing about, and thus aren't really any different from evolution deniers yourselves.

At the age of 21 you probably have not had the opportunity to examine the facts properly.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2010, 2:30 am

Tensu wrote:

The creationists who aren't deniers of history are merely theists arguing against Stephen Hawking and the physicists and astrophysicists of the world.

It's not exactly a winning argument considering that even with such a claim, there still lacks the necessary empirical evidence needed to back up such a claim. Arguments of coincidence claiming of a fine tuning of a world is pretty daft considering that you're essentially stating an obvious fact and then giving the credit to a deity; or, in other words, of course things would have to have happened as they did or else things would not have occurred as they have and this is not evidence of any deity...just merely a repeating of known facts and claiming that they obviously indicate a deity when in all observation, it doesn't.

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

SteamPowerDev
Toucan
Toucan

03 Oct 2010, 2:33 am

Ah, I feel so at home on this thread.

Wombat
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2010, 2:53 am

Even if God created the world, which God was it?

Perhaps it was the God(s) of the Egyptians, or Persians or Greeks or Romans or Norse or Zulus or Navajo or Australian Aborigines?

Tensu
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2010, 3:04 am

Sand: as a solipsist, I probably have a very different idea of what constitutes a "fact" than you do. But I have studied evolution and don't deny it, if that's what you mean.

Wombat: that's why I study them all, and I like Christianity's idea of God the best.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2010, 3:19 am

Tensu wrote:
Sand: as a solipsist, I probably have a very different idea of what constitutes a "fact" than you do. But I have studied evolution and don't deny it, if that's what you mean.

Wombat: that's why I study them all, and I like Christianity's idea of God the best.

Sorry. I apologize. Creationists usually deny evolution. I assumed you did.

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2010, 7:16 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgPiuhqgZYc[/youtube]
This guy is a legend. His username is jesusophile and all of his videos are satirical.

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2010, 7:52 am

skafather84 wrote:

The creationists who aren't deniers of history are merely theists arguing against Stephen Hawking and the physicists and astrophysicists of the world.

And you fully understand the works of Hawking, no doubt. I'm not too dumb and it doesn't take long for the math (the real stuff, not what is in his popular books) to overwhelm me.

It kills me that Hawking makes a decidedly unscientific statement (it is not necessary for a creator) and people take it as gospel.

What is really interesting to me is that even if THIS universe spontaneously emerged from a quantum fluctuation of a zero energy state, Hawking himself said that it was gravity and quantum mechanics that allowed this. So to say the universe emerged from "nothing" is a dumbing down of the facts for the masses. First, a zero energy state is not nothing. "Nothing" has no properties and this zero energy state still has gravity and quantum mechanics as part of its dynamic. And, both gravity and quantum mechanics are NECESSARY conditions for the quantum fluctuation to even occur. Surely Hawking is not claiming gravity and quantum mechanics are "nothing". Which brings us right back to the original problem - the infinite regress of "where did it all come from". Whence came gravity? And once that is determined, whence came the progenitor of gravity? And there is the pesky existence of quantum mechanics itself.

Does this answer the question of God's existence? No. But Hawking's work ONLY describes the progress of THIS universe from a set of first principles observed by THIS species. It is an egregious error of scientific method to extend it beyond that.

number5
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2010, 7:58 am

ruveyn wrote:
Some years ago my wife and I visited the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. From the lookout area I shouted at the top of my lungs: "Six Thousand Years, my ass!" and it echoed back from all the surrounding rocky cliffs "My ass... my ass ... my ass".

My wife says she cannot take me anywhere.

ruveyn

:lol: This one's made it on my bucket list.