Do you own a lot of stuff or are you a minimalist?

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Alla
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Sep 2010, 5:24 pm

I am moving into a new apartment and I am sick of all of the stuff I have accumulated over the years. Most of it is stuff I need as I have already thrown out useless stuff.....however, I still find that I own too much and it just takes too long for me to organise and clean my room. Recently I have become a bit of a minimalist, but I have still to implement it entirely in my life. In the past, I have bought some nice expensive clothes and accessories which I just can;t throw away, even though I know that I will only wear them two or three times in the next two or three years.

So, are you a minimalist or do you own lots of stuff?

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

30 Sep 2010, 6:02 pm

I am slowly going minimalist. Recently, I was able to get the contents of my storage unit delivered to the state I live in now. I was amazed at what I had been faithfully paying storage on, all those years. The television set was out of style, and a lot of stuff I no longer even liked. I donated a lot of things to a local homeless shelter, and a few churches. I was able to sell quite a few books on Amazon and Ebay. I am still slowly getting rid of stuff. For the books, I was able to ask myself how much I loved them, and if I had read them in the past year. In many cases, I had enjoyed the book when I read it for the first time, but didn't care to read it again. So, out it went. If they were old favorites, (Like many from my childhood) I decided to keep it. I was able to get rid of a great deal of household appliances that I no longer needed, since I live in a smaller space.

I would advise selling what you can, like on Craig's list or something. And donate others that you can't sell. I was surprised at how good it felt, to get rid of stuff, instead of accumulate it. 8)

happymusic
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2010, 6:19 pm

I might be considered a minimalist. I don't have that much stuff and have lots of open floor and surface space in my house. My ocd gets really terrible with lots of objects around.

MXH
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2010, 6:28 pm

I dont have money to own a lot of stuff. But i would if i could.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2010, 11:00 pm

I own a lot of stuff - especially DVDs, posters, teddy bears, blankets, pillows and art supplies.

I like surrounding myself with a lot of stuff, but only if everything's in its proper place. Whenever my room gets messy (and it does often) I become overwhelmed.

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

30 Sep 2010, 11:03 pm

I collect a lot of stuff and hate to get rid of anything. I hate garbage day.

But I have a lot of cool stuff I like---magic tricks/illusions, HO scale models, keyboards, telescopes, blueprints to houses and roller coasters, books, and it goes on and on. I have always liked collecting things.

Last edited by glider18 on 01 Oct 2010, 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

menintights
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2010, 11:10 pm

Quote:
In the past, I have bought some nice expensive clothes and accessories which I just can;t throw away, even though I know that I will only wear them two or three times in the next two or three years.

Then keep them for two or three more years and get rid of them the next time you clean up.

Quote:
I would advise selling what you can, like on Craig's list or something.

I've spent the last two weeks advertising a lot of my crap on CL and so far no one has bought anything yet. :(

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2010, 11:41 pm

up until the time my parents passed away, i was an incurable collector of stuff. if it was a bargain, into my place it went. now that i am financially and spacially challenged, i have been a good boy and not bought one non-essential thing, namely anything other than sundries related to basic survival. but i still can't get rid of anything, i just shoved it all in corners and in my one spare bedroom, floor to ceiling.

lovecholie
Raven
Raven

01 Oct 2010, 12:01 am

I own a lot of stuff. Always have. But I am working on streamlining my collection of books. One day, I would love to only own hardcover first editions.

x_amount_of_words
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2010, 12:35 am

I like to collect things so no, I'm not a minimalist. Actually I can be a bit of a hoarder.

Pistonhead
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2010, 12:56 am

I could put everything I own in my car and drive off, I've done it before about 2 years ago. That being said I do have over 200 CDs, a fairly complete collection of the best PS2 games out there. I still insist that I'm a minimalist. I get by with what I can and I will until I have more money than I can possibly enjoy dumping into cars.

Stellar
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2010, 1:01 am

I own a lot of stuff. Most of it is useful though.

blahbla
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Oct 2010, 1:02 am

I'm more of a hoarder and pack rat... I've still got my Dreamcast and Legos and what not :D

tonin
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Oct 2010, 1:07 am

Having had an itinerant lifestyle for the last 20 years I have been able to fit all my belongings into 2 back packs. My fiance is a collector but we are slowly chipping away at his un-necessary junk. We're about to move town and I think I might be surprised by how much I have accumulated these last 9 months since I've settled down a bit to start writing and purchasing of more photography gear.

Travelling light is wonderful!

Pistonhead
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2010, 1:08 am

What does hoarding have to do with owning a Dreamcast? Only reason I could see for not wanting to own a dreamcast as a gamer is because you have Skies of Arcadia and stuff for the gamecube instead.

jpfudgeworth
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Oct 2010, 1:15 am

I'm also in a transition to minimalism. Paradoxically, I also have to fight the tendency to hoard useless junk. I have a mental map of the things I own and have a pretty good idea of what I plan to get rid of, someday. :oops:

I'm also in the process of replacing my shirts with grey t-shirts. Someday I think I will have the most boring wardrobe in the world, and I look forward to that.