Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

quiet_dove
Toucan
Toucan

01 Oct 2010, 4:21 pm

I feel like there are very few other Aspies on here (other than myself) who struggle with low self-esteem. It seems like my feelings get hurt so easily, while most everyone else on here has an easy time of brushing off the occasional rude remarks. Am I just an anomaly in this way? Or is there anyone else here who struggles with loving themselves?

kenvj
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Oct 2010, 4:33 pm

I've had that problem all my life. I'm nearly 77 years old and I only found out I'm an aspie a few weeks ago.

OneStepBeyond
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2010, 7:30 pm

nah i hate myself

Baratos
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

01 Oct 2010, 7:35 pm

I have extremely low self esteem.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2010, 7:44 pm

I had extremely low self esteem, when I was in high school.

pekkla
Toucan
Toucan

01 Oct 2010, 9:07 pm

Are you kidding? I feel like a little grouse

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2010, 9:32 pm

quiet_dove wrote:
I feel like there are very few other Aspies on here (other than myself) who struggle with low self-esteem. It seems like my feelings get hurt so easily, while most everyone else on here has an easy time of brushing off the occasional rude remarks. Am I just an anomaly in this way? Or is there anyone else here who struggles with loving themselves?

It's more of a matter of this being the internet and understanding that people on here are often abrasive. I primarily deal with the facts when posting here, and emotions get filtered out.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2010, 10:56 pm

quiet_dove wrote:

I think you'll find lots of us do.
We just don't display it ;)
I don't so much by WP members but other IRL people/internet people upset me with their words and actions.

I can be harsh(when people bring it on themselves) here but I am also supportive when people need it. I hope you feel better soon :)

just-lou
Toucan
Toucan

02 Oct 2010, 3:52 am

I think there's a difference between having low self-esteem and being sensitive to criticism.
I consider myself to have extremely low self-esteem, and thus it doesn't bother me one bit when people actively abuse me, because it seems only natural that they should. I don't expect people to be nice toward me. People tell me this is strange - I seem to harbour no resentment toward people who have even physically abused me, because it seems only right that they did. That might seem really horrible, but it leaves my point of view uncluttered.