Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

the_curmudge
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2010, 9:54 pm

OK, this is very minor, but when did "Happy Halloween!" become a suitable greeting for our one dark holiday? I even saw it imprinted on a plastic skull goblet in the dollar store. What is happy about drinking out of a skull, faux or no?

It used to be that when the kids came to the door, they issued--if often unconvincingly--a threat: "Trick or treat". Now you are just as likely to open the door to a group of tutued ballerinas and an angelic chorus of "Happy Halloween!" Bah, humbug.

A word to the wise: I'll be checking, and if you put down that bat-shaped doormat with the "Happy Halloween" imprint, you may be subject to some good old fashioned tricks that'll wipe that grin off of your face. How would your house look dressed in toilet paper?

Pamo
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

01 Oct 2010, 10:07 pm

It's just a stupid holiday. Don't take it so seriously.

OddFiction
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2010, 10:27 pm

I have to agree with the OP. Hallowe'en princesses and elmos piss me off - there's nothing about them that's faithful to the actual origins of the day... it's a day where you're suppossed to dress up as something scary in order to scare the dead back to their graves.

By simply doing what they are designed to do something large and magnificient happens. In this sense they show us how to live; The only barometer you have is your heart. When you spot your flower, you can't let anything get in your way. - John Laroche

Lecks
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2010, 9:32 am

OddFiction wrote:
I have to agree with the OP. Hallowe'en princesses and elmos piss me off - there's nothing about them that's faithful to the actual origins of the day... it's a day where you're suppossed to dress up as something scary in order to scare the dead back to their graves.

It doesn't get scarier than pink, frilly princess gowns and red, furry things with high-pitched voices.

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2010, 10:19 am

Because Halloween is fun, or at least I think so. :)

RaceDrv709
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2010, 7:38 pm

Halloween is fun. Several years ago, I made a fork costume out of foam board, aluminum foil and a piece of yarn. This year I'm going to be Mario........or should I be Gumby?

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2010, 8:18 pm

Uhm... It is a happy holiday to many people. It's a night when ancestors visit living relatives and look over them.

All the fear and trickery was created by Christians misunderstanding and fearing the holiday.

So... HAPPY HALLOWEEN! :-D