Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

dgd1788
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2006, 11:56 am

Thank you alex for finally heeding my wish: that is to have a math, science, and technology forum.

I owe you one buddy :D

Fiz
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2006, 3:27 pm

I'm assuming by this message of gratitude (yes thanks Alex :D ) that you must like science? What sort of science are you into? I'm very interested in biological and natural sciences and psychology. I enjoy discussing science as there is always something new to learn.

Laz
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2006, 8:58 pm

I like to discuss the sociology of science. And then move onto my favourite subject which is when sociology decides to apply the question to psychology "is psychology a science?" and watch them wriggle in disgust at the suggestion by sociologists that there no better then they are in trying to understand this human animal thing that we are.

The sociology of health is quite interesting is well. Particularly our area of health and of course mental health, contraversy abounds in that discussion.

I do have a thing for marxism i have to say its such a vast ideology you could still do PHD's even now on that perspective alone. Not even getting into neo-marxism

Fiz
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2006, 5:45 pm

Laz, part of me believe psychology to be a science, purely because of the way it is studied and applied. The other part of me believes that, as a subject, it stands alone but with a slight link to science.

If we look at actual sciences, they are made up of facts with possible theories based on those facts. Experiments are conducted to approve/disprove theories and/or assumptions related to facts and variables.

In psychology, some teachings are based on fact but some are mere assumptions. Theories are then derived from mere assumptions as opposed to facts. With psychology, there seems to be less emphasis on fact than with subjects that are actually considered to be sciences and I feel thats what sets psychology apart from other sciences, if you choose to call it a science. Like I say, part of me does whereas part of me doesn't.

dgd1788
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2006, 7:31 pm

We must first refer to the definition of science:

The knowledge or study of anything