Anti-anxiety medication recommendations?

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

clavus
Butterfly
Butterfly

03 Oct 2010, 1:30 pm

I've been medicine free for many years now, but I am reconsidering taking anxiety meds.
Most of my anxiety is brought on by sensory overload, particularly sound/noise related stimuli.
I have extreme, inhumane levels of sensitivity to inorganic, mechanical soundwaves (pure evil, those sound waves).

I'd be curious to know if anyone on here has had positive experiences with anxiety pills, and if so if
you'd be so inclined to share the name of your drug. Anxiety meds in the past used to lead to weight gain - is this still an issue
with newer types of drugs? This is important for me as I am avid runner, and cyclist.

Thanks ahead everyone.

H

danandlouie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2010, 2:56 pm

i became a marathoner and bicycle racer to outpace my demons. i'm sorry it didn't work for you. any anti-anxiety drug will destroy your training. i hope you never try to get on a bike after taking valium,zanax or whatever. it would be way too dangerous.

do you think you might have 'hyperacusis'? it is a very real condition. i have tinnitus and i believe hyperacusis goes along with that in some instances.

hope things get better.

ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

03 Oct 2010, 3:36 pm

Not medication in the conventional sense of the word, but "medicine" according to Hippocrates, ( "Let food be your medicine" ), :lol :) : I have found that changing my diet makes a massive, almost unbelievable, difference to my anxiety/stress levels incl my ability to cope with noise and other sensory issues.

The first time that I went on an exclusion diet ( water and apples for three days, and then carrots and green beans and tuna aswell, for another four ) I woke up on the fourth morning feeling as if I had been living in a shopping mall over a motorway next to a building site under an airport, and had suddenly been transferred to an Alpine meadow: the peace was astonishing. ... And most astonishing of all was that I had had no idea of the constant shattering, exhausting "din" that I had been living with, a permanent massive "noise" in my head.

I found out that I am gluten-intolerant, and I was able to cure my mood-disorder/hypo-mania and depression, ( aswell as physical problems like frequent very bad colds/flu, awful headaches, and painful bloating ) with a gf diet ... and in the last couple of years I have also discovered that I am sensitive to carbohydrates, and that cutting out sucrose/"sugar" ( very addictive "painkiller"/tranquiliser ) reduces my anxiety levels dramatically.

StuartN
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2010, 4:12 pm

I take Lyrica, since the time that I was diagnosed with Asperger's - either the diagnosis or the Lyrica completely changed my life, expecially my interaction with strangers.

I also have Valium at 2 mg, twice per day, with the instruction to use as required (i.e. I take none many days and several in anticipation of stress).

kip
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2010, 4:12 pm

I don't like pills either, but I have to take a few cause of random conditions. I'm on Celexa, which is an antidepressant, but it's also used for generalised anxiety. Now, I'm only on day 4, but I have an incredibly fast metabolism, so my body is basically on 'day' 6 of the drug. No side effects yet, though it's WAY to early to be sure. You could consider it though, I'm on the lowest dose and it makes a BIG difference.

Also, try monitoring your blood sugar. I found that helped a LOT with me, I'm intolerant to most forms of sugar and carbs. Not just gluten though, oddly. But, taking cromnium picolinate (probably spelling that wrong, bottle's not near me.) helps maintain the blood sugar levels by using it faster or something like that, and since it's a lot more natural than what you can get at a pharmacy, I like it better.

?the end of our exploring, will be to arrive where we started, and know the place for the first time. - T.S. Eliot

liveandletdie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2010, 4:13 pm

buspirone or buspar is what i'd recomend...

Has little if any side effects and helped me alot...

Also...it does not cause side effects if you decide to quit

It will take about a month for it to work though....not like benzo's where it is instant

kip
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2010, 4:15 pm

StuartN wrote:
I take Lyrica, since the time that I was diagnosed with Asperger's - either the diagnosis or the Lyrica completely changed my life, expecially my interaction with strangers.

Me too! That's so weird! I was taking it for pain from a damaged nerve, since I ran out of gabapentin and was able to 'acquire' some. The doc's trying to get me back on it, going through the manufacturer to get it free since I'm almost indigent. It was like... the world stopped hurting me. It was great. And that was no side effects either, unlike the gaba, which give me seizures.

?the end of our exploring, will be to arrive where we started, and know the place for the first time. - T.S. Eliot

clavus
Butterfly
Butterfly

06 Oct 2010, 5:05 pm

Thank you for your responses. I've jotted down the names of the meds mentioned and will be discussing them with my new doctor today.