Page 1 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Gromit
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2010, 4:33 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
wavefreak58 wrote:
To deny the impact of Bush's policies on the current situation is to ignore the flow of history. You need to go back decades or more to even begin to grasp the current trajectory of this country. If Obama is making a mistake, it is that he should be looking not only to Bush's policy decisions, but to predecessors going back at least a generation.

During the end of Bush's second term, it was called his fault, and Obama and his braindead followers have perpetuated it. But yes, you could always go backward in time to find more people to blame for ones own incompetency.

The "Thinking Allowed" podcast from 22 September provides an interesting perspective: http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/ta. It is not political, and I don't remember either Bush or Obama being mentioned.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2010, 5:05 pm

Master_Pedant wrote:

The catalyst for the economic crisis started when Jimmy Carter began the neoliberalization of fiscal policy - deregulation. Ronald Reagan exaccerbated it and the stagnation of wages meant that people needed credit for the economy to go along functioning. This debt economy led to a bubble economy. The primary fault is on Jimmy Carter, Ronald Reagan, Bush Sr., Bill Clinton, and Bush Jr.

Redistribution programs go all the way back to the Hoover Administration.

The worst offender was Ronald Regan, The Great Communicator who delivered $1.75 cents worth of government for ever $1.00 in tax revenue collected. In addition, he promised to eliminated the Dept. of Energy and the Dept. of Education. Neither department was eliminated. Compared to the fraud Regan perpetrated, "W" Bush was an innocent saint.

ruveyn

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2010, 5:24 pm

Master_Pedant wrote:
Iamnotaparkeet's broad and unspecific assertion that "Obama's economics stink" for some unknown reason

Handing out lump sums of free money to already established businesses somehow makes sense to you? The notion of universal healthcare sounds nice, but where is it and who's going to pay for it? Thinking like a Democrat, I could say, "I'm unemployed, so where is my free money?". It seems as if most of his time is just spent campaigning or otherwise wasting his presidency doing practically nothing.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2010, 5:41 am

Master_Pedant wrote:
And, um, if you actually read the Soviet thread RedHarrananan is getting A LOT of flak from Orwell and Dox47.

As for Sand, he has wit. You don't. My suggestion is don't quit your day job to troll.

Haven't you heard? Orwell and I are the enforcement arm and the mouthpiece respectively of a vast PPR conspiracy that chases n00bs and undesirables off the forum... :roll: :roll: :roll:

Seriously though, I can't speak for Orwell, but Red H came into this forum on very aggressive footing spouting personal insults in every other post and sporting a very large chip concerning America and Americans. If he can't take a bit of what he's dishing out he shouldn't have come in here picking fights; I did actually ask him in an unrelated thread to tone things down before going after him hard like I am now. He chose not to play nicely, whatever comes his way is on him.

As for you Master P, I suggest you reread the complaint lodged against 'keet in the first place:

Quote:
I like how you perpetuate inflammatory rhetoric but also expect your opinion to be taken seriously.

It seems that every week you have a new term to marginalize people you disagree with; this week it's "ultraconservatives", in the past it's been "tea baggers" or when that got too juvenile you switched to "tea partisans". I could go on, but I think you get the picture. While taking swipes at such low hanging fruit can be very fun and satisfying, overall it often does more harm to you and your position than to your intended target. You're obviously not unintelligent, but when you rely so heavily on these loaded terms it weakens your position and reflects poorly on your rhetorical skills; it feels more manipulative than actually persuasive and tends to be a turn off to people who are one the fence on an issue.

I mean this as an honest critique with no malice or ill intent, I may disagree with you most of the time but I respect the knowledge and effort that go into most of your posts.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2010, 5:47 am

Dox47 wrote:
Master_Pedant wrote:
And, um, if you actually read the Soviet thread RedHarrananan is getting A LOT of flak from Orwell and Dox47.

As for Sand, he has wit. You don't. My suggestion is don't quit your day job to troll.

Haven't you heard? Orwell and I are the enforcement arm and the mouthpiece respectively of a vast PPR conspiracy that chases n00bs and undesirables off the forum... :roll: :roll: :roll:

And of course the two of us are charged with maintaining the strict orthodoxy of the forum, which is why we share identical views on every major issue, and in fact why everyone on this forum holds the same beliefs.

Quote:
Seriously though, I can't speak for Orwell, but Red H came into this forum on very aggressive footing spouting personal insults in every other post and sporting a very large chip concerning America and Americans. If he can't take a bit of what he's dishing out he shouldn't have come in here picking fights; I did actually ask him in an unrelated thread to tone things down before going after him hard like I am now. He chose not to play nicely, whatever comes his way is on him.

Yeah, I actually mostly just object to the flippant dismissal of mathematical fact. His blanket anti-Americanism is mildly annoying, but something I could overlook if he otherwise seemed reasonable. Rejecting results from math is not reasonable.

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2010, 5:56 am

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Master_Pedant wrote:
Iamnotaparkeet's broad and unspecific assertion that "Obama's economics stink" for some unknown reason

Handing out lump sums of free money to already established businesses somehow makes sense to you? The notion of universal healthcare sounds nice, but where is it and who's going to pay for it? Thinking like a Democrat, I could say, "I'm unemployed, so where is my free money?". It seems as if most of his time is just spent campaigning or otherwise wasting his presidency doing practically nothing.

No such thing as free money. There is always an associated cost. Lose the talking points.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2010, 9:17 am

wavefreak58 wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Master_Pedant wrote:

No such thing as free money. There is always an associated cost. Lose the talking points.

But I'm unemployed and disadvantaged, and even a minority where I live. Where's. My. Freemoney?! Where's. My. Freemoney?! ! Where's. My. Freemoney?! !!

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2010, 9:22 am

Master_Pedant wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:

Why ought I to be treated as a special case? Sand is permitted to do the same. RedHarrananan, et al, yet I am getting flak for doing likewise.

It's greatly ironic to see the master fallacy spotter committing a rather elementary fallacy of "Two Wrongs Make a Right".

Oh shut up you hypocrite. Also, I'm not the "master fallacy spotter", but rather that would be this noob:

wavefreak58 wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Why ought I to be treated as a special case? Sand is permitted to do the same. RedHarrananan, et al, yet I am getting flak for doing likewise.

Just because I haven't yet called them out on it doesn't mean I won't

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2010, 9:54 am

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Oh shut up you hypocrite. Also, I'm not the "master fallacy spotter", but rather that would be this noob:

wavefreak58 wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:

I may be a noob to this forum, but I've run into shoddy arguments with enough regularity to know there is nothing new about them.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2010, 4:06 pm

wavefreak58 wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:

wavefreak58 wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:

I may be a noob to this forum, but I've run into shoddy arguments with enough regularity to know there is nothing new about them.

I doubt that you utilize the capability to discern facetiousness from seriousness.

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2010, 4:16 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:

I doubt that you utilize the capability to discern facetiousness from seriousness.

Meh.

Facetiousness is not always obvious on an internet forum, especially on an Asperger's site.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2010, 4:39 pm

wavefreak58 wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:

Meh.

Facetiousness is not always obvious on an internet forum, especially on an Asperger's site.

Especially when you come into the site with a vacuum in the place of contextual posting history with other members.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2010, 12:19 am

Why George Bush? And are you referring to George W. Bush or George H.W. Bush?

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2010, 12:33 am

Tim_Tex wrote:
Why George Bush? And are you referring to George W. Bush or George H.W. Bush?

Junior. And why? Because he's the reason why blue jays have an unpleasant call.

Master_Pedant
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2010, 1:03 am

Dox47 wrote:

Orwell is a Russian History student who simply gets pissed off when people make false claims. You are much more ideologically motivated in your attacks and even a little hypocritical (you tell people to ignore RedH as he doesn't have credibility due to his "anti-Americanism" yet you think Climatologists should wade through countless carbon copies of the same drivel denialists with no experience in the field give them).

Dox47 wrote:

My main comment wasn't a normative defense of RedH, it was simply a postive observation - that Keet's claim that he was getting picked on for trolling and nobody else was, was BS.

Dox47 wrote:
As for you Master P, I suggest you reread the complaint lodged against 'keet in the first place:

Quote:
I like how you perpetuate inflammatory rhetoric but also expect your opinion to be taken seriously.

It seems that every week you have a new term to marginalize people you disagree with;

I state the facts, if they're opinions are so inane that they warrant marginalization when described accurately (albeit with a few value judgments added in), then so be it. Orwell's made his fair share of less detailed but equally judgmental complaints about right-wing nationalists, which I see as a perfectly valid enterprise.

Dox47 wrote:
this week it's "ultraconservatives",

The actual process for "marginalizing" goes like this - I hear a stupid talking point repeated by people whose beliefs are so rightwing that conservatives in any other country would laugh at them (hence the qualifier "ultraconservative"). I notice that few people point it out and when it is pointed out, the far right fails to respond. So I make a thread and finally it gets on the WP conversation and is recorded forever the the archives.

Dox47 wrote:
in the past it's been "tea baggers" or when that got too juvenile you switched to "tea partisans".

I'd love to see you try and find ONE quote where I call the Tea Partisans "tea baggers". Next to Orwell, I'm probably the only Tea Party critic on WP who has never used the term "Tea Bagger". As a matter of fact, I was pretty soft on the Tea Partisans for a while - viewing the movement as an unfortunate case of misinformed, misdirected working class anger until I discovered gallop research showing that the Tea Partisans were actually a lot of relatively affluent former McCain voters.

Dox47 wrote:
I could go on, but I think you get the picture.

Yes, I get the picture, You don't like it when I "marginalize" (read: critique) the ReadH's of the Right.

Dox47 wrote:
While taking swipes at such low hanging fruit can be very fun and satisfying, overall it often does more harm to you and your position than to your intended target. You're obviously not unintelligent, but when you rely so heavily on these loaded terms it weakens your position and reflects poorly on your rhetorical skills; it feels more manipulative than actually persuasive and tends to be a turn off to people who are one the fence on an issue.

Firstly, you use quite a few loaded terms ("anti-American", "Nanny State", "nannies", or even "left fringe of WP"), so are you implying that your own position is being hurt by this rhetorical vice of yours? As for whether I'd be better to write in a dry, academic, non-judgmental prose, years on Internet Forums have taught me that it's stupid (and exhausting) to try and self-righteously take the high road while everyone else is throwing mud.

Dox47 wrote:
I mean this as an honest critique with no malice or ill intent, I may disagree with you most of the time but I respect the knowledge and effort that go into most of your posts.

To be honest, I spend too much time writing posts that'll be read by (at most) 5 people.

Last edited by Master_Pedant on 08 Oct 2010, 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2010, 1:16 am

Master_Pedant wrote:
To be honest, I spend too much time writing posts that'll be read by (at most) 5 people.

Yea! I'm one out of five!