Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2010, 11:33 pm

It's up to all of us to liven it up. Anyone have any ideas for interesting threads? I'm going through a bit of a tough time and don't want to post more depressing threads!

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2010, 11:39 pm

I've been reading the archives due to lack of current threads that I find interesting.

I've been wondering about the pattern of topics seeming to shift, but I have no idea why it's happening.

sluice
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2010, 11:46 pm

Yeah, I've been hovering around here for the last week or so. I have some downtime with a sports injury and what work I am doing has been slow plus I have been lonely. The place can be awfully addictive. But now, I am beginning to feel that I am wasting too much time here without making any real connections and discussions get repetitive. Maybe, that is how other people feel too and take breaks. I think I might be better off doing some more volunteering and trying to meet some actual people outside of my normal routines, and just using places like this as an educational resource.

You have helped me some Horus, by making me want to look into the NVLD aspects further. Thanks.

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2010, 11:50 pm

Horus wrote:
Horus wrote:
OddFiction wrote:
Yep. I've noticed it too. Not just in the regular forums, but even in the parents forum - which I would have thought would be jumping, what with school and all.

Yeah....it kinda sucks too. Myspace is a essentially a ghost town these days and I don't have (and don't want) a Facebook account.

I thought I was an unliked poster and/or thread-killer before....now it just seems as though i'm posting to phantoms. :(

I am currently not in school and not working and don't know what to do with myself. I can only play guitar, read, exercise and watch TV so much. There's not very much to do in South Florida as it's a cultural/intellectual wasteland filled with little more than the commercial trappings of mainstream suburban America.

I've done most of the stuff you can enjoy outdoors in S. Florida (snorkeling, diving, hiking in the everglades, etc...) so i'm not too motivated to engage in all those things anymore.

Have you tried video games? A lot of alone aspies my age and younger enjoy playing them. You can try some RPG games.

As for Wrong Planet being on adown latelly; well it's happen in forums sometime, and WP is far from death.

Clyde
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Oct 2010, 1:05 am

Tollorin wrote:
Horus wrote:
Have you tried video games? A lot of alone aspies my age and younger enjoy playing them. You can try some RPG games.

As for Wrong Planet being on adown latelly; well it's happen in forums sometime, and WP is far from death.

I play video games

Horus
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2010, 9:32 am

bee33 wrote:
It's up to all of us to liven it up. Anyone have any ideas for interesting threads? I'm going through a bit of a tough time and don't want to post more depressing threads!

I honestly don't have any thread ideas at the moment. Usually all I post about is my own issues with cognition, memory, etc....and I seek insight regarding those issues. Perhaps I ruminate about these things too much, but they impact every aspect of my life and I still have no final answers for them.

I was seeking a final answer, or at least, further answers, at the autism research study I was supposed to participate in here in Pittsburgh. As you know, the study rejected me because I didn't meet their diagnostic cut-offs. I am supposedly too "high-functioning"/mild to meet their particular study criteria.

So now, after a long 20-day stay with my family up here, (I was born/I raised in Pittsburgh and much of my immediate family still resides here) I am sitting at my departure gate in Pittsburgh International Airport getting ready to fly home to Ft. Lauderdale.

I am very sad to be leaving my 93 y/o grandfather and my 66 y/o father and his new family. I am also sad to leave Pittsburgh. This town has many advantages (except the weather, ocean, natural environment) over South Florida and I might decide to live here again if I could. I am also very upset about being rejected by this study. I do not foresee any other options anytime soon in regards to finding out more about my neurological issues.

I know of no other relevant research studies i'd be eligible for. Nor can I afford any more comprehensive neurological/neuropsychological assessment (which probably would include neuroimaging of some sort) out-of-pocket and my insurance surely won't cover any.

All that said....I feel like i'm going home with nothing to look forward to. Even though i'm supposed to return to college in January, I can't say i'm too excited about nor can I say i'm certain i'll be successful and go as far as I want to go (preferably a Master's degree or higher in psychology or another discipline I have a passion for) in college/uni.

Without further insight into the ultimate capacity of my cognition/memory, I just don't know if I can handle certain college/uni courses, especially when it comes to higher math and science.

My upcoming return to college is one of the major reasons I wanted to participate in this study and if possible, learn more about my cognitive/memory problems and my ultimate potential.

Anyway....I will have to board soon and i'm sorry if this was a depressing post. I just don't have much else to talk about at this point and god only knows when (or if) i'll feel better again. Being on the University of Pittsburgh campus was very depressing for me. It is a lovely campus and a very culturally/intellectually vibrant area. It makes me think of all the things that might have been when I was a younger man and should've been in college/uni. Now i'll be a middle-aged putz returning to college and i'll never get to live the full college/uni experience. Yet another unfulfilled dream that has been with me since early childhood. In any case....the college/uni campuses in South Florida aren't anything like those in the old cities in the Northern US. The campuses in S. Florida are all very modern and utilitarian in appearance and look more like office buildings than institutions of higher learning.

The areas around the campues aren't very culturally/intellectually vibrant either. No cool old used bookstores, cafes, new age shops, bars, eateries, live music venues, etc.....

Horus
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2010, 9:36 am

sluice wrote:
Yeah, I've been hovering around here for the last week or so. I have some downtime with a sports injury and what work I am doing has been slow plus I have been lonely. The place can be awfully addictive. But now, I am beginning to feel that I am wasting too much time here without making any real connections and discussions get repetitive. Maybe, that is how other people feel too and take breaks. I think I might be better off doing some more volunteering and trying to meet some actual people outside of my normal routines, and just using places like this as an educational resource.

You have helped me some Horus, by making me want to look into the NVLD aspects further. Thanks.

Well....i'm glad to have been of help even though I honestly didn't intend to help anyone but myself with my posts. I mean i'd be glad to help mostly anyone in anyway I could. In my situation however, it seems like any advice/insight I could offer would be a case of blind leading the blind.

Horus
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2010, 9:41 am

Tollorin wrote:
Horus wrote:
Horus wrote:
OddFiction wrote:
Yep. I've noticed it too. Not just in the regular forums, but even in the parents forum - which I would have thought would be jumping, what with school and all.

Yeah....it kinda sucks too. Myspace is a essentially a ghost town these days and I don't have (and don't want) a Facebook account.

I thought I was an unliked poster and/or thread-killer before....now it just seems as though i'm posting to phantoms. :(

I am currently not in school and not working and don't know what to do with myself. I can only play guitar, read, exercise and watch TV so much. There's not very much to do in South Florida as it's a cultural/intellectual wasteland filled with little more than the commercial trappings of mainstream suburban America.

I've done most of the stuff you can enjoy outdoors in S. Florida (snorkeling, diving, hiking in the everglades, etc...) so i'm not too motivated to engage in all those things anymore.

Quote:

Yes I have, but I can only do that so much either. Everything gets old, especially when you're poor and your options are limited anyway. Believe me, I would spend much of my time traveling the world and exploring everything from the Peruvian rainforests to the ruins of Angkor Wat.

Anyway....I have a Wii....but that got old months ago. I need new games, but i'm not really in a position to spend any money right now and video games aren't enough of an interest to me in the first place. If I had alot of money right now....there's many other things i'd like to do with it. I'd buy alot of books and musical equipment (more guitars, amps, effects, etc...) before i'd spend money on new games and systems.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2010, 12:00 pm

I'm glad other people have been noticing this. I thought it was just me! Normally this place is teeming with life, but it just feels so... blah lately. I have some ideas for threads, but they're all just about my special interests and they've been done before in previous months/years. I don't want to post them because I don't want to annoy other members who have heard me talk about that stuff before.

KissOfMarmaladeSky
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2010, 12:59 pm

Horus wrote:
OddFiction wrote:

I know! I'm posting to make it louder! Let's all post today! ^^ (I'm here all week---literally!)