Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2010, 9:23 am

have you ever been compared to him?

i got the best compliment from someone who loves me.... i was talking about the parts i need to fix my computer, then i was talking about why the laptop i am borrowing is not working for me.... and she told me, "oh my god, you're sheldon".

i took it as a compliment, though i know he isn't exactly a warm and cuddly character. i can relate to a lot of what sheldon says and does in terms of his personality (though i am nowhere near as smart or knowledgeable as his character, obviously).

Kaybee
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2010, 9:27 am

Me: "I don't do dishes between Wednesday morning and Friday night."
Her: "Wow, you're like Sheldon."

Malin
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Oct 2010, 11:44 am

I get this all the time. He has some obvious autistic traits. He's probably meant to be a charicature aspie.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2010, 12:27 pm

Kaybee wrote:

i'm sure you have good reasons why you don't do the dishes in between those times, right? and i'm willing to guess that the reasons are fully logical!

Malin wrote:
I get this all the time. He has some obvious autistic traits. He's probably meant to be a charicature aspie.

yes, i think you are right. in a way it perpetuates the stereotypes doesn't it?

Logan5
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Oct 2010, 12:36 pm

I posted this elsewhere, but it may also be of some interest to the folks in this thread:
"Jim Parsons On The Science Of Sheldon, 'Big Bang' ", Fresh Air (NPR)
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... =130156625

xemmaliex
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Oct 2010, 12:42 pm

I'm not really like Sheldon, though I really admire his character and the way he does things. I suppose, in a way, I am similar to him, but I'm more childish and 'dippy', and am prone to maniac laughter :D

Malin
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Oct 2010, 1:07 pm

Quote:
in a way it perpetuates the stereotypes doesn't it?

It purpetuates the stereotype, but I'd support this. I never tell people I'm autistic because they'd probably be thinking 'Rain Man', when in fact I'm as minor an Aspie as they come - I really just have autistic tendancies, I think. Sheldon still gets forward the practical ideas to spread about autism - 'It's not that I'm an insensitive git, it's just that you are talking nonsense and I feel the need to enlighten you'.

That said, such a person, if known as an autist, would still put an onus on autists to be extremely knowledgeable, whereas I'm largely restricted to my field of learning - like most university students, and not like Sheldon, who seems to replace the time I spend eating with memorising large and random academic journals.

Severus
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2010, 2:16 pm

If, where I live, people watched The Big Bang Theory and if they had even the slightest idea what Asperger's is, they would compare me to Sheldon at least three times a day :D

BlackWolf
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

06 Oct 2010, 5:11 pm

OMFG, I love Sheldon. He's such an aspie. He's also a selfish brat a lot of the time, but I love him anyway. :D

I'm the only person I know who watches that show, but yeah, I do identify with him a lot. I'm a lot less... confrontational about my idiosyncrasies, though. It's actually sometimes kind of awkward to watch, because I'm pretty much on Sheldon's side by default, while the writers favour Leonard, the most "normal" of the boys, or Penny. Like, when Sheldon kicked Penny out of the apartment that one time, because she refused to respect his boundaries? Totally fair. If someone deliberately and repeatedly makes a mockery of something they know is important to you, however trivial it seems to them, you are well within your rights to remove them from your space. Penny was cruel, but Sheldon was weird, so it was him who was punished.

Apolla
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Oct 2010, 5:26 pm

hyperlexian wrote:
have you ever been compared to him?

Yes. By my mother.

There are times when we watch it when she'll just look at me and nod. There was an episode where his mother told him it was ok to be smarter than everyone else but he couldn't point it out and my mother said, "See?!" She's even borrowed a few phrases like "non-optional social convention" and a few others to convince me to do something. It's kind of sad. And I think my mom asked my sister if Sheldon reminded her of anyone. A few days later they had this exchange:

Sister (on her computer, looking at the iTunes store): They have a Sheldonism app!
Mom: Are you going to buy it?
Sister: It's 99 cents! I'll just listen to Apolla!

Kaybee
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2010, 5:58 pm

hyperlexian wrote:
Kaybee wrote:

i'm sure you have good reasons why you don't do the dishes in between those times, right? and i'm willing to guess that the reasons are fully logical!

Completely!

OddDuckNash99
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2010, 6:44 am

I don't watch the show, but my mom does, so I know who Sheldon is and how he's supposedly an Aspie, although it's never said in the show. My mom has said that Sheldon reminds her of me. She cited how Sheldon has the need to sit in the same chair/seat, which is something I do.
-OddDuckNash99-

Nash: Is there a difference?

mac266

07 Oct 2010, 7:53 am

Malin wrote:

Yep, I picked that up on the first episode.

"Courage is almost a contradiction in terms. It means a strong desire to live, taking the form of readiness to die." -G.K. Chesterton

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2010, 8:47 am

xemmaliex wrote:
I'm not really like Sheldon, though I really admire his character and the way he does things. I suppose, in a way, I am similar to him, but I'm more childish and 'dippy', and am prone to maniac laughter :D

yes, my theories and ideas are sometimes odd or quite unusual, so my parents definitely saw me as ditzy and silly. as an adult i am much more appreciated!

Severus wrote:
If, where I live, people watched The Big Bang Theory and if they had even the slightest idea what Asperger's is, they would compare me to Sheldon at least three times a day :D

we are in good company!

BlackWolf wrote:
OMFG, I love Sheldon. He's such an aspie. He's also a selfish brat a lot of the time, but I love him anyway. :D

I'm the only person I know who watches that show, but yeah, I do identify with him a lot. I'm a lot less... confrontational about my idiosyncrasies, though. It's actually sometimes kind of awkward to watch, because I'm pretty much on Sheldon's side by default, while the writers favour Leonard, the most "normal" of the boys, or Penny. Like, when Sheldon kicked Penny out of the apartment that one time, because she refused to respect his boundaries? Totally fair. If someone deliberately and repeatedly makes a mockery of something they know is important to you, however trivial it seems to them, you are well within your rights to remove them from your space. Penny was cruel, but Sheldon was weird, so it was him who was punished.

i love sheldon too. the writers definitely paint sheldon as the abnormal person in the mix, but they ALL have issues i think!

there was an episode where another character made reference to sheldon's supposed tirade about 3-tined forks, and i killed myself laughing.... i go on and on about stuff like that.