Have you NOT learned from past experiences?

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2010, 10:57 am

I was reading a topic about getting fired from work and people mention take that experience and learn from it. I thought I'd take my college suspension and "learn" from it (as in not upset people with my behavior) but I ended up hovering around and jumping on a coworker and I almost got fired myself (The topic of sexual harassment got brought up) They were like Brandy do you know what sexual harassment is? Me: No (they explained it I said oh and then I fealt bad I had upset this coworker.) :-( So sadly I feel not only do I need to learn from the suspension but also the 3 month job I held not to mention trying to change my behaviors and not upset my family. (I think fixing for family in my case is a lost cause BTW) LOL!

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2010, 12:23 pm

I can't say I don't learn from past experience, but it might take several episodes before I figure it out. Often, I think I learned something, but I only understand a part of it.

Sparrowrose
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2010, 12:38 pm

I obviously didn't learn anything from getting fired from work because I went on to get fired again and again and again from every job I had after that. If I just had even the slightest idea of why all those employers didn't want me, I'd have *something* to "learn from" and work on. But I'm utterly clueless.

Avatar=WWI propaganda poster promoting victory gardens.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2010, 1:07 pm

Not to dwell on the past and have meltdowns on WP.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2010, 5:09 pm

My prime example is in relationships. They always fail to ignite past a certain point. I don't know any other way to be but to just be me. I am flirt challenged. I've pretty much given up.

menintights
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2010, 5:34 pm

The only way I can learn from a past experience is if I completely analyze the situation. Ask a lot of why's, clarify what the problems and the solutions are, and you might do better in learning your lesson next time.

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

06 Oct 2010, 5:40 pm

some mistakes I learn from, others are just a lost cause. Like cleaning up after myself which has caused me to have trouble with roomates in college, appt living...I nearly got kicked out of my appartment due to an utter mess, also causes trouble with whoever I live with. Do I learn?? Not really...I make a mess and then get distracted and make more messes then it gets to be too much...I get overwhelmed and avoid it. Then my roomates get mad cause the pattern is a cycle of binge cleaning and messing up. Common sense tells me to clean it up as make the mess...but for some reason, I cant keep my focus well enough.

As far as jumping on co-workers..I dont see how is jumping on someone is sexual harasment, maybe I am being too literal. Although jumping on someone might be an invasion of personal space. At work, co-worker personal body space is a larger distance than friendships. There so needs to be a book written about unspoken social rules designed for aspies. That would help alot of people avoid such situations

ColdBlooded
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2010, 5:53 pm

This is probably beause we don't view the situation in the same way as other people do. Plus, most of us are naturally very stubborn and resistant to change. It takes a lot for me to figure out which changes need to be made and how to go through with it. Hopefully I can make changes at my next job in some ways, but i don't know how well it will work out.

Sparrowrose
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2010, 6:02 pm

jojobean wrote:
At work, co-worker personal body space is a larger distance than friendships. There so needs to be a book written about unspoken social rules designed for aspies. That would help alot of people avoid such situations

"Your Life Is Not a Label" by Jerry Newport

Avatar=WWI propaganda poster promoting victory gardens.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2010, 10:20 pm

The one lesson I never learn is not to sell my DVDs. It goes like this:

1. I buy a bunch of DVDs.
2. I say, "I love these movies and I'll never sell them"
3. Several months go by. I don't watch the DVDs and seeing them sitting there on my shelf drives me insane.
4. I sell the DVDs, usually to get money for some other DVDs that I want at the moment that I'm sure I'll love and never want to sell.
5. Regret sets in. I miss my old DVDs and I don't like the new ones.

This cycle has been going on for years. However, I believe I have found a solution: Netflix. Instead of buying a DVD on an impulse, I just put it in my queue and wait two days for it to come in the mail. When I get tired of the DVD, I just send it back and get another. Ever since starting Netflix, my desire to buy DVDs has decreased dramatically, and thus the cycle has stopped.

I recommend Netflix to all people who have the same problem as me.

rmctagg09
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Oct 2010, 11:56 pm

I've yet to learn how not to creep out a girl I'm interested in. I thought I did, but it turned out I'd learnt nothing in that regard from high school.