Both. 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
Neither. 48%  48%  [ 15 ]
Other. 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 31

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2010, 7:08 pm

Which is worse, in your opinion, the generalized hatred of all men or the generalized hatred of all women?

Regarding the poll:

Everyone, please note that the poll asks which is more socially acceptable and not which one ought to be more socially acceptable, so it is not asking for a statement of should but rather as statement of what is.

Last edited by iamnotaparakeet on 07 Oct 2010, 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

06 Oct 2010, 7:52 pm

Well hatred of men definitely is more publicly accepted.

As to which one is worse, I guess it comes down to whether you're a man or a woman.

Personally, from man's perspective, I can understand why a guy might have some negative feelings towards women. :roll:

Last edited by Jacoby on 06 Oct 2010, 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Erisad
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2010, 7:55 pm

Generalizing an entire group is bad regardless of which group is targeted. Why can't we all get along? Why can't we all just be friends? :D

Friskeygirl
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2010, 7:59 pm

nether is good

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2010, 8:30 pm

I voted for neither, but readily acknowledge that most of the time someone is much more likely to be called out for misogyny purely due to social mores.

Tensu
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2010, 10:10 pm

I wonder who voted for hating men?

They are both bad, but society at large doesn't seem to care about misandry, which is a shame, because I believe modern misogyny is primarily a defense against misandry, thus if there was less misandry, there would be less misogyny.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2010, 10:35 pm

I think people underestimate the amount of pervasive misogyny that is still present in our society, as well as the extent to which bias in one direction is more often called out.

As far as which is "worse," in principle they are both equally bad. In practice I would be more concerned with the one that does more damage, and in most contexts that is misogyny.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2010, 12:46 am

Domestically (within my/our country), anyone who pays attention to law sees that in terms of the courts, misandry is more acceptable. If you follow private contracts and payment via private business, it seems that misogyny is more acceptable. In reality, neither is acceptable and it is too detailed (case-by-case) to really say what's "right". Most likely neither is but it requires a very refined judgement, not a generalized judgement.

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2010, 8:36 am

Everyone, please note that the poll asks which is more socially acceptable and not which one ought to be more socially acceptable, so it is not asking for a statement of should but rather as statement of what is.

Last edited by iamnotaparakeet on 07 Oct 2010, 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2010, 8:45 am

I can't see any difference. Hatred is hatred.

But you seem to be asking if one is more accepted by society more than the other.

Maybe. I suspect that it would be highly dependent on the culture. Does fundamentalist Islam 'hate' women? I'd bet that what we consider their suppression of women's rights is not considered suppression at all from within that world view.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2010, 8:48 am

wavefreak58 wrote:
I can't see any difference. Hatred is hatred.

But you seem to be asking if one is more accepted by society more than the other.

Maybe. I suspect that it would be highly dependent on the culture. Does fundamentalist Islam 'hate' women? I'd bet that what we consider their suppression of women's rights is not considered suppression at all from within that world view.

Within their worldview, they'd call that suppression "freedom" probably... IDK. I was more considering the West than the middle-east though, or wherever the posters to this site are from.

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2010, 9:06 am

iamnotaparakeet wrote:

Within their worldview, they'd call that suppression "freedom" probably... IDK. I was more considering the West than the middle-east though, or wherever the posters to this site are from.

In the West, I think misogyny is more negatively perceived. I don't see to much being said about negative stereotypes of men but if a music video negatively objectifies women it can create a lot of heat in the media. Sitcoms invariably make women strong and men buffoons. This is a subtle form of misandry that is broadly accepted (at least if you go by ratings and sales of commercials). Even something like The Cosby Show where Cliff Huxtable was considered a positive role model, the wife was NEVER portrayed in a way that made her appear foolish, but Cliff was often made to look silly.

A similar media bias is going on with the depiction of homosexuality. I know enough gays to know that some of them are real ass holes and some of them are warm and genuine. But the current thrust of gay depictions emphasizes the poignancies of the homosexual lifestyle. It's a rather narrow view and something of a caricature.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2010, 9:20 am

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Everyone, please note that the pole asks which is more socially acceptable and not which one ought to be more socially acceptable, so it is not asking for a statement of should but rather as statement of what is.

Which is why I voted "both" then explained the context in what I meant.

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

ikorack
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2010, 9:46 am

Orwell wrote:
I think people underestimate the amount of pervasive misogyny that is still present in our society, as well as the extent to which bias in one direction is more often called out.

As far as which is "worse," in principle they are both equally bad. In practice I would be more concerned with the one that does more damage, and in most contexts that is misogyny.

Could you be more specific about that? and if you could will you?

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2010, 12:28 pm

Orwell wrote:

can i hug you for these statements? {{{awkward aspie hugs}}}

it seems to me that misogyny is both more rampant and more socially acceptable than misandry. for example, a man-hater will be noticed and derided, whereas a woman-hater will seem to blend in better within our society.

number5
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2010, 12:48 pm

hyperlexian wrote:
Orwell wrote:

can i hug you for these statements? {{{awkward aspie hugs}}}

it seems to me that misogyny is both more rampant and more socially acceptable than misandry. for example, a man-hater will be noticed and derided, whereas a woman-hater will seem to blend in better within our society.

+1
And of course Cliff Huxtable was supposed to be silly - he's the comedian. I find it more significant that Claire Huxtable was one of the first successful working women to be portrayed on TV.