Neither. 48%  48%  [ 15 ]
Other. 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 31

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2010, 10:35 am

Oh poor parakeet.

You must have the case of deh Angry White Man Syndrome.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.p ... hite%20man

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2010, 10:44 am

MissConstrue wrote:
Oh poor parakeet.

He's had it for a while. Hanotaux has an even worse case of it.

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2010, 2:27 pm

MissConstrue wrote:
Oh poor parakeet.

Quote:
1. Any white man who is angry due to racial inequality based upon his being white. 2. Any white male who, upon discovery, is upset about anything having to do with other races begging for money or credibility based upon their race alone, or offenses committed against their race generations ago.

Maybe that is it. It is annoying to continually be passed up for jobs in this area. One place employs only Mexicans (specifically from Mexico, not any other place in Meso or South America). White Castle employs only black women, or occasionally a teenage black guy. One game store has only Asians working there. All the oriental restaurants have only Asian or Hispanic workers. Of the employers in Brooklyn Park that employ white people, most of the white people they employ are women. A couple gas stations have white guys working for them, as managers, but otherwise they hire women. So, perhaps I do have a case of "deh Angry White Man Syndrome".

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2010, 2:33 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
MissConstrue wrote:
Oh poor parakeet.

Quote:
1. Any white man who is angry due to racial inequality based upon his being white. 2. Any white male who, upon discovery, is upset about anything having to do with other races begging for money or credibility based upon their race alone, or offenses committed against their race generations ago.

Maybe that is it. It is annoying to continually be passed up for jobs in this area. One place employs only Mexicans (specifically from Mexico, not any other place in Meso or South America). White Castle employs only black women, or occasionally a teenage black guy. One game store has only Asians working there. All the oriental restaurants have only Asian or Hispanic workers. Of the employers in Brooklyn Park that employ white people, most of the white people they employ are women. A couple gas stations have white guys working for them, as managers, but otherwise they hire women. So, perhaps I do have a case of "deh Angry White Man Syndrome".

So you see everything in terms of race and gender and claim that everywhere that you're looking to get work employs every race and gender but your own.

Where do you live?

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2010, 3:00 pm

skafather84 wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
MissConstrue wrote:
Oh poor parakeet.

Quote:

So you see everything in terms of race and gender and claim that everywhere that you're looking to get work employs every race and gender but your own.

Where do you live?

I live in Minnesota, and no, I don't normally see everything in terms of race and gender, but after a while of being rejected and looking at the percentages of employees within categories of race, gender, nationality, etc, it seems too far removed from mere chance to be anything other than employer selection based upon race, gender, nationality, etc.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2010, 3:18 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
skafather84 wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
MissConstrue wrote:
Oh poor parakeet.

Quote:

Where do you live?

I live in Minnesota, and no, I don't normally see everything in terms of race and gender, but after a while of being rejected and looking at the percentages of employees within categories of race, gender, nationality, etc, it seems too far removed from mere chance to be anything other than employer selection based upon race, gender, nationality, etc.

Looking at the percentages, Minnesota is 85% white. I think the problem might be in some aspect of your approach to applying for and trying to get a job, not the color of your skin.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2010, 3:33 pm

skafather84 wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
skafather84 wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
MissConstrue wrote:
Oh poor parakeet.

Quote:

Where do you live?

Looking at the percentages, Minnesota is 85% white. I think the problem might be in some aspect of your approach to applying for and trying to get a job, not the color of your skin.

If only 15% are non-white, then why, based upon personal counting, do non-white people seem to hold around 60% to 75% of the jobs in my area that deal with the general public?

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2010, 4:02 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
If only 15% are non-white, then why, based upon personal counting, do non-white people seem to hold around 60% to 75% of the jobs in my area that deal with the general public?

Because those are the jobs that pay the least. You may indeed be seeing racism in action. But it is probably the sort of racism that thinks that ethnic and racial minorities are best suited to jobs at the very bottom of the pay scale: waitstaff, store clerk, food service clerk. Where are all the white people? Further up the pay scale and invisible in their offices. It is possible that you are being turned down for these jobs because they think you'll only be willing to settle until your real career kicks in and then you'll be out the door, unlike somebody from an ethnic minority who may have resigned themselves to settling for this low paying job for quite a while.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2010, 4:16 pm

Janissy wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:

Because those are the jobs that pay the least. You may indeed be seeing racism in action. But it is probably the sort of racism that thinks that ethnic and racial minorities are best suited to jobs at the very bottom of the pay scale: waitstaff, store clerk, food service clerk. Where are all the white people? Further up the pay scale and invisible in their offices. It is possible that you are being turned down for these jobs because they think you'll only be willing to settle until your real career kicks in and then you'll be out the door, unlike somebody from an ethnic minority who may have resigned themselves to settling for this low paying job for quite a while.

or maybe... those people are better qualified than the OP. there is no way of knowing. also, if 99% of the people who apply for a job are from ethnic minorites (or are women), then 99% of the people hired will likely be from the same groups.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2010, 4:26 pm

hyperlexian wrote:
Janissy wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:

or maybe... those people are better qualified than the OP. there is no way of knowing. also, if 99% of the people who apply for a job are from ethnic minorites (or are women), then 99% of the people hired will likely be from the same groups.

There is not "better qualified" when it comes to non-skilled labor. The actual work of the jobs, such as being a sales associate, order picker, cashier, assembly line chef, unloader, etc, all of which I have done and even gotten good reviews for, did not take any special abilities uncommon to anyone, but all it took was persistence and effort. It would be nice if that was all it took to get hired, because by now I would have been hired for quite a while.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2010, 4:56 pm

yes, there is 'better qualified' for low-level jobs. i have worked in these jobs (i.e. convenience store clerk, warehouse s/r, fast food cook, dept store clerk, retail cashier, waitress etc etc), and i have HIRED for some of these jobs... and experience was extremely important, as well as any possible training

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2010, 5:53 pm

hyperlexian wrote:
yes, there is 'better qualified' for low-level jobs. i have worked in these jobs (i.e. convenience store clerk, warehouse s/r, fast food cook, dept store clerk, retail cashier, waitress etc etc), and i have HIRED for some of these jobs... and experience was extremely important, as well as any possible training

Well, since you have hired others, can you honestly say that you've never considered the gender of an applicant as a 'qualification' for hiring? Possibly by hiring other women as a way to get back at those evil suppressive imperialistic invisible yet pervasive misogynists who control all the universes?

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2010, 6:29 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:

Well, since you have hired others, can you honestly say that you've never considered the gender of an applicant as a 'qualification' for hiring? Possibly by hiring other women as a way to get back at those evil suppressive imperialistic invisible yet pervasive misogynists who control all the universes?
what on earth are you getting at? that's really silly.

no, looking back i hired about equal numbers of men and women, but i did like to try to give people a chance in non-traditional roles if they expressed the desire. i wasn't directly hiring for very long though. when i worked in fast food, it was mostly men in the kitchen and mostly women out front. at my request, i was hired for the kitchen and turned out to be quite good at the job. so when i was promoted to a hiring position, i tried to give other people a chance like that too, and i would consider men who wanted to work as cashiers or women who wanted to work as cooks, even though there was an unspoken bias against that (well, sometimes old-time managers would say it out loud).

i would also put 'unattractive' people out front and 'attractive' people in back if that was where they wanted to work because it was another silly unspoken rule. (and no... sales did not suffer for having less 'pretty' people out front).

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2010, 6:35 pm

hyperlexian wrote:
what on earth are you getting at? that's really silly.

Actually, silliness is often my goal in and of itself:

LiberalJustice
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2010, 10:22 pm

Friskeygirl wrote:
nether is good
This.

Adopted mother to a cat named Charlotte, and grandmother to 3 kittens.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2010, 10:25 pm

LiberalJustice wrote:
Friskeygirl wrote:
nether is good
This.
That's true. But the existence of both is also true regardless of the fact that neither is good.