very disturbing articles about autism

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

mac266
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

07 Oct 2010, 6:47 pm

The really disturbing part is some of the posts made by readers below the articles:

http://www.gazette.com/articles/parents ... utism.html

http://www.gazette.com/articles/ruled-1 ... onday.html

"Courage is almost a contradiction in terms. It means a strong desire to live, taking the form of readiness to die." -G.K. Chesterton

Wraythen
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

07 Oct 2010, 8:05 pm

Not loading for me. :x

mac266

07 Oct 2010, 8:16 pm

They're both still working for me...

"Courage is almost a contradiction in terms. It means a strong desire to live, taking the form of readiness to die." -G.K. Chesterton

Sparrowrose
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2010, 8:41 pm

wow. And then I went to look at the blog mentioned in the first article and ... just ... wow.

Avatar=WWI propaganda poster promoting victory gardens.

Bethie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: My World, Highview, Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Earth, The Milky Way, Local Group, Local Supercluster

08 Oct 2010, 12:55 am

You know you're going to end up slack-jawed when you're reading about a double-murder and you come across the phrase "I don't condone it, BUT...."

:evil:

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2010, 1:38 pm

I did not lose my life to autism. I have a fuller and richer life or world, because of my autism. What Jennys. :evil:

raisedbyignorance
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2010, 10:46 pm

I'm starting to get really sick and tired of these parents who victimized themselves or say their life is over because their child has autism. That's about as stupid as it get really. That kind of attitude is more suited for someone who gets pregnant when they're in high school and even nowadays that's considered too overdramatic.

Would these parents feel victimized if their child had cancer...or Down Syndrome...or Cerebral Palsy...?

No because these parents would consider their children's pain and suffering more worse than their own.

So why should autism be treated so differently? Why should autism be treated as the condition that victimizes parents and portrays children as uncontrolling bratty beings?

I got news for you parents...you think your life sucks having a kid of autism? Well your kid actually has it a lot worse. Theyre the ones who always have to be chewed out by you and by everyone for things they cant control about themselves. They're the ones who are being villanized by you for something that has inflicted them. They're the ones who are lost in their own inability to communicate in a world that doesnt accomodate them. All you do is whine about how your autistic kid is messing up your daily social life (something that your child will likely not have anyway). Well guess what...having ANY child IS going to put a damper on your social life! If you cant afford the time to care for them instead of dumping them off at a babysitter then dont make babies. It's that simple.

Sparrowrose
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2010, 11:04 pm

raisedbyignorance wrote:
Would these parents feel victimized if their child had cancer...or Down Syndrome...or Cerebral Palsy...?

No because these parents would consider their children's pain and suffering more worse than their own.

Depends on the parent.

My brother died of leukemia and I've never heard my mother say "poor Mikey." She didn't complain to me a lot, especially when I was still a kid, but when she did it was poor her and how hard it all was on her and how unfair my dad was to her over their son's cancer and how his cancer medication made him "mean as a snake" and she shouldn't have had to put up with being treated like that.

(So I guess it's no surprise that she didn't want to deal with my (undiagnosed) autism, either, and pushed me out of the house in my late teens even though I was completely unprepared for the world and ended up spending the rest of my teens and most of my twenties homeless as a result.)

I don't know what to think when I see the parents in the parents' forum here talk about how precious and priceless their children are and how they'd give up anything for their children. I don't think my mom felt that way about her kids at all and I think there are probably a lot of parents out there who are more like my mom than like the amazing and wonderful parents here like DW_a_mom or Mama_to_Grace. And I think it's sad that the media is so much quicker to turn their microphones toward the parents who whine than toward the parents who shine.

Avatar=WWI propaganda poster promoting victory gardens.

Roxas_XIII
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2010, 11:18 pm

Bethie wrote:
You know you're going to end up slack-jawed when you're reading about a double-murder and you come across the phrase "I don't condone it, BUT...."

:evil:

I don't condone the genocide of these ignorant f***s, BUT...

Yeah, you see how it is?

Some people aren't meant to be parents. I suggest we snip and tube-tie the lot of them.

Happy New Year from WP's resident fortune-teller! May the cards be ever in your favor.

PHISHA51
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Oct 2010, 5:48 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5w-fQmU2sHw[/youtube]

You've all probably heard of this family before, but at least they have the courage as parents to handle all of this. Impressive 8)

theWanderer
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2010, 10:47 am

mac266 wrote:
The really disturbing part is some of the posts made by readers below the articles:

The really disturbing part, for me, is the fact that anyone would think there is the slightest justification for murdering someone for things they cannot help, just because they're different. That attitude is in the articles as well as many of the comments.

Yes, I know this attitude exists. I've been aware of it for as long as I can remember. Whatever the group, there are always ignorant people willing to single out scapegoats and claim it is all right to murder them. Anyone who believes that is really just hiding from their own inadequacy - they are the ones with a real problem. I'm struggling to stay within the TOS here, because bigotry of any sort lights off every fuse I possess. I want to sear the eyeballs and burn out the eardrums of the bigots with my ranting... :twisted:

===================
In the country of the blind, the one eyed man - would be diagnosed with a psychological disorder

raisedbyignorance
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2010, 2:45 pm

PHISHA51 wrote:

You've all probably heard of this family before, but at least they have the courage as parents to handle all of this. Impressive 8)

Wasnt this the family who had their kids taken away for a short while because the mom had a breakdown?

PHISHA51
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Oct 2010, 2:51 pm

raisedbyignorance wrote:
PHISHA51 wrote:

Wasnt this the family who had their kids taken away for a short while because the mom had a breakdown?

I never heard of it? Where did you hear it?

pezar
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2010, 4:31 pm

theWanderer wrote:
mac266 wrote:

The really disturbing part, for me, is the fact that anyone would think there is the slightest justification for murdering someone for things they cannot help, just because they're different. That attitude is in the articles as well as many of the comments.

Yes, I know this attitude exists. I've been aware of it for as long as I can remember. Whatever the group, there are always ignorant people willing to single out scapegoats and claim it is all right to murder them. Anyone who believes that is really just hiding from their own inadequacy - they are the ones with a real problem. I'm struggling to stay within the TOS here, because bigotry of any sort lights off every fuse I possess. I want to sear the eyeballs and burn out the eardrums of the bigots with my ranting... :twisted:

Oh, I was exposed to it my whole childhood. My dad CONSTANTLY threatened to kill me for things that, looking back, were caused by autism. He kept saying that, one day, I would make "the wrong person" angry (for something I couldn't control, of course), and that that person would kill me and make the world a better place. I grew up truly believing I deserved to die for my "differentness", which of course was all my fault, and that my own death was a matter of time, and that the world would celebrate once I was gone.

At times, growing up became "101 Ideas On How To Get Rid Of Pezar", including being buried alive, abandoned in the desert, and having my nose and mouth sealed with duct tape. Kids at school urged me to kill myself. By the time I started coming to school with cuts, the taunting trailed off, but it was too late. When I recently brought home a $2500 dentist's bill, my dad once again launched into the whole you-deserve-to-die spiel. I'm 35, for cripe's sake! I guess I'll never be accepted anywhere, and really SHOULD die! :cry:

raisedbyignorance
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2010, 6:50 pm

PHISHA51 wrote:
raisedbyignorance wrote:
PHISHA51 wrote:

I never heard of it? Where did you hear it?

http://www.people.com/people/archive/ar ... 79,00.html

They talk about halfway through this article. I always felt a bit iffy about the family being allowed to have these children back so quickly but that is just me I supposed. The way they describe the mom's mental state kinda scares me.

theWanderer
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2010, 9:24 pm

pezar wrote:
Oh, I was exposed to it my whole childhood. My dad CONSTANTLY threatened to kill me for things that, looking back, were caused by autism. He kept saying that, one day, I would make "the wrong person" angry (for something I couldn't control, of course), and that that person would kill me and make the world a better place. I grew up truly believing I deserved to die for my "differentness", which of course was all my fault, and that my own death was a matter of time, and that the world would celebrate once I was gone.

At times, growing up became "101 Ideas On How To Get Rid Of Pezar", including being buried alive, abandoned in the desert, and having my nose and mouth sealed with duct tape. Kids at school urged me to kill myself. By the time I started coming to school with cuts, the taunting trailed off, but it was too late. When I recently brought home a $2500 dentist's bill, my dad once again launched into the whole you-deserve-to-die spiel. I'm 35, for cripe's sake! I guess I'll never be accepted anywhere, and really SHOULD die! :cry:

I firmly believe the world will never be a better place as long as anyone is made to suffer the way that you have. The people who truly deserve to die are never the ones who believe they deserve it.

Even in the most extreme example I can think of, Nazi Germany, the camp guards who killed themselves over what they'd done were the relatively decent ones. They at least had a conscience. If they'd lived, they might even have done something to make things a tiny bit better. It was the ones who didn't feel ashamed, who clung to their "ideals", who would have improved the world by dying.

So I think you've just proved that you most definitely should NOT die. :)

I've never had it as rough as you have, but I've spent much of my life feeling like a designated public toilet. I'm 51 now, and I'm not accepted all that many places. I've lost most of the very few friends I ever had: I heard one die (his car hit a tree down the road from my house) and found another on his kitchen floor. So I can't say I have no idea why you feel the way you do, even if I can't really understand everything you've been through. But over the past few years, I've slowly come to be glad I hung in there, in spite of everything. I really hope and pray that someday you'll know what that's like.

===================
In the country of the blind, the one eyed man - would be diagnosed with a psychological disorder