'Involuntary' Obsessions/Focused Interests?

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Keeno
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2006, 4:35 pm

What I mean by involuntary obsessions or interests, are obsessions that stick unwelcomed in our mind. Things that we're not necessarily pursuing as interests because we want to, not because we are stimulated or energised by the subject matter. But nonetheless we can't stop thinking of them and they linger in our minds, for whatever reason.

For example, the subject matter might trouble us, as for example it does in the following obsessions of mine:

a) Poverty (and housing deprivation), especially when it comes to 19th century society.

b) The Temperance (strict moderation of, or abstinence from, alcohol intake) Movement which was strong in the 19th century - particularly the often disturbing (but undoubtedly true and relevant to the era) propaganda they used.

c) How intemperance (i.e. alcohol abuse or excessive alcohol intake) caused a), as the Temperance people so starkly pointed out via their propaganda as per b).

Is anyone else battling against the intrusion of similar unwelcome obsessions?

Fiz
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2006, 6:22 pm

I don't have any unwelcome obsessions now but as a teenager, I was plagued by thoughts of the various ways in which you can physically and mentally torture people. At the time I thought I was a sicko but looking back, I wasn't as I took no pleasure in these thoughts or learning about it, in fact I found this incredibly distressing.

Luckily I'm no longer troubled by these thoughts as I learned enough about it to stop thinking about it. This seemed to cure it, I think it was because I got answers so my mind then decided to let the matter rest permanently thankfully because that was horrid.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2006, 1:05 am

As a Teen, I've had unwanted thoughts about dropping out of High School and doing Drugs. I've also had unwanted thought of Death and Dying. I haven't had those thoughts since I've graduated from Highschool.

Belfast
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2006, 12:50 am

Keeno wrote:
What I mean by involuntary obsessions or interests, are obsessions that stick unwelcomed in our mind. Things that we're not necessarily pursuing as interests because we want to, not because we are stimulated or energised by the subject matter. But nonetheless we can't stop thinking of them and they linger in our minds, for whatever reason.

Death & dying. Afraid of both, know they're utterly unavoidable-so I try to learn more, in order to get used to it. I'm curious about the subject, in a voluntary way-but also get panics of feeling like I'm going to die right now just from the fear of it. Idea of living forever seems unpleasant, but prospect of ceasing to exist provokes panic.
When I'm in pain or uncomfortable, in body or mind, then I wish mightily that I could think about anything else. Can't shift attention or soothe my frustration-habitually ruminate on what's bothering me. Not very good at manipulating my own mood or thought content for the better (or intentionally).
I frequently have harsh, negative attitudes towards myself-endless variations I can't ignore or dismiss. Can't imagine being otherwise, though being this way gets me down.
Some things I wish I could enjoy more, but the ways I experience them are hindered by my hyper-sensitivities. Like food, for instance.
Often have images, words, internal mental states that interfere with functioning-at the worst times. Feeling bad is self-perpetuating for me, then I can't dig myself out & shift modes. Brain is always calling forth idea of something gross when I'm trying to eat. My brain is defiant of me-it comes up w/what makes me unhappy easily, but won't cooperate when I need a good state of mind. Overwhelmed by what strikes me as not okay, fixated on what feels wrong-on sensory and emotional levels.
Being aware of injustice, unfairness, cruelty, hypocrisy-really disturbs me, so have to limit my exposure to some stuff. It makes me so angry & grieved-certain political/social issues which I feel strongly about. That sort of thing intrudes on my attempts to be hopeful about direction of my own life and conditions on this planet...