Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2010, 7:24 pm

Did anyone ever watch this show?

When Comedy Central did the celebrity roast of William Shatner, they mentioned the Priceline commercials, and his music albums, but they completely forgot this show.

The ones I will remember the most are:

1. The girl swept into a storm drain during a tropical storm. The incident occurred about 5 minutes from where I was living at the time, and her friend and I were classmates.

2. A boy in Connecticut named Paul who locked himself in the trunk of his mom's car. I liked the accent his mom had.

3. A boy in South Carolina who got stuck in a laundry chute, and his grandmother had an interesting voice, which reminded me of my junior high drama teacher.

Also, if anyone here watched Rescue 911, has anyone noticed that when they show people watching TV, small children are always watching low-budget public domain cartoons from the 1930s/40s, and people older than 12 or 13 are always watching old B&W movies or Wild Kingdom-esque documentaries.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Sparrowrose
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2010, 8:12 pm

I used to watch it.

I remember they did a skit on Saturday Night Live when Shatner was hosting. he stood up and did a narrative, as if he were on the 911 show, and said he was going to give the history of 911. "Few of you realize that 911 was started before the days of the telephone." He goes on to say that 911 was the address of the emergency post office box and people had to write in for help. They showed a guy on fire writing, "help! I am on fire!" and putting it in the mailbox. Pretty silly stuff.

Avatar=WWI propaganda poster promoting victory gardens.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2010, 8:28 pm

I don't remember that SNL skit, but I do remember one where Roseanne played a dispatcher, and she was giving the caller a hard time.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2010, 8:36 pm

I grew up with Rescue 911! I used to watch it every week day after I'd come home from school. Then sometimes on the playground, my friends and I would play Rescue 911. :)

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer