Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

ColdBlooded
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2010, 1:13 am

I know they do this big autism benefit show, and they say it goes to autism education. Does anyone know if this is one of those curebie type of things affiliated with autism speaks, or does the money just go straight toward educating kids with autism? Have any information about it?
I like Jon Stewart. Tonight he was talking about it with Naomi Watts though, and when she mentioned the "benefit for autism" he said something about it being more of a benefit "against autism"... And that got me wondering if this is just another "let's rid the world of autism" thing.

alex
Developer
Developer

08 Oct 2010, 1:45 am

That type of language makes me so mad! Shame on you, Jon Stewart.

Under-Dave
Butterfly
Butterfly

08 Oct 2010, 10:02 am

The episode mentioned in this post is available in its entirety on The Daily Show website. I had to remove the link to it, since this is only my second post. They start the Naomi Watts part around 16 minutes in, it doesn't get relevant till about 18:35 however. I wouldn't read to much into what he said, you have to remember it is a comedy show. I suppose when the actual benefit airs on TV, we will get a better view of Stewart's opinion on Autism. It is currently set to air on October 21st 9pm / 8pm central.

According to Comedy Central, the benefit raised almost 7 million dollars. As for where the funds raised will be spent, the following is copied directly from the comedy central website.

"Night of Too Many Stars" will benefit a variety of autism education and family service programs across the country, in support of the overabundance of autistic individuals that so desperately need quality services. One exciting new initiative is The Institute for Brain Development – an all-inclusive diagnosis and treatment center positioned to undertake groundbreaking collaborative research into the causes and treatment of autism spectrum disorders. The Institute is the product of New York Center for Autism's partnership with New York-Presbyterian and its affiliated medical school of Columbia University College of Physicians & Surgeons and Weill Cornell Medical College.

And finally from the Autism Speaks website: A portion of the proceeds will benefit Autism Speaks. (In reference to the aforementioned benefit)

t0
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2010, 10:22 pm

The original 2003 show was written by Robert Smigel, who has a son with autism. I believe he and Jon are friends. I suspect the charity aspect of the show is based on Robert's preferences to where the money should go.

Fehndrix
Toucan
Toucan

09 Oct 2010, 1:13 am

There was one in 2008 as well, during autism awareness month. I enjoyed it.

MizLiz
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2010, 11:52 pm

Well Jon Stewart's dead to me. I'll be going to Colbert's rally instead.

ColdBlooded
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2010, 9:11 am

MizLiz wrote:
Well Jon Stewart's dead to me. I'll be going to Colbert's rally instead.

KEEP FEAR ALIVE!! !

KissOfMarmaladeSky
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2010, 1:51 pm

Our educational needs are just the same as everyone else's educational needs. My IEP mostly states that I will try to utilize a plan when I have an anxiety attack, but my curricular needs are just the same as some people!

space455
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

21 Oct 2010, 11:47 pm

Apparently a portion of the money raised is going to autism speaks (according to autism speaks) and to be honest I'm not surprised. The entire tone of the show was condescending and disturbing. I expected more from John Stewart

don't believe me, just Google "night of too many stars autism speaks"

number5
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2010, 1:49 pm

I didn't find it offensive. It wasn't quite as funny as I would have liked, but the bit with Chris Rock cursing out some lady's ex was pretty funny. I'm not sure what percentage of funds raised goes to Autism Speaks, but it seemed like a lot of the money will be going towards local community educational and supportive programs. The schools are ill-equipt to deal with ASD's and any money raised towards teacher training and social programs is a very good thing, IMO. Jon Stewart specifically stated that they weren't out to cure anything - just to help. They had raised over 3 million bucks, just counting the easten half of the country, by the time I went to bed last night. Not too shabby. Oh and the Adam Sandler bit with the anatomy book was pretty hilarious too.

space455
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

22 Oct 2010, 3:00 pm

He is either ignorant or misleading, If they were solely focusing on education why the hell would they give money to autism speaks? There were very few indications who the donations were being distributed to and in what proportions. I'm not saying that this is some sort of evil plot, I just think that much of the show and the distribution of these funds seem to be driven by ignorance instead of understanding. Its great that there is over 3 million dollars going towards some programs, unless those programs are funding research into the potential genetic markers of our "disease", not to mention the alarmist statistics that were being flung around left right and center. These types of events counteract what is for the greater good of the system. If more people understood the true nature, characteristics and challenges of Autism the government would have no choice but to give those same educational programs we all want to see become wildly available, the funding they require and for the long term not to mention the boost to quality of life when ignorance is dispelled. In short money is good, understanding is better and we aren't going to get that if these types of events continue to happen.

JohnnyCarcinogen
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2010, 2:31 pm

Has anyone bothered to let Jon Stewart know about Autism Speaks?

Quote:

I don't think you have any room to criticize others' actions when your own are just as shameful, Alex.

alex
Developer
Developer

19 Nov 2010, 8:06 pm

JohnnyCarcinogen wrote:
Has anyone bothered to let Jon Stewart know about Autism Speaks?

Quote:

I don't think you have any room to criticize others' actions when your own are just as shameful, Alex.

I have never made a comment like that. I don't know what you're talking about. Sorry if you misinterpreted something I said.