yes, more than a pack a day 10%  10%  [ 9 ]
I smoke something else 9%  9%  [ 8 ]
I prefer not to answer 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 90

Assembly
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Oct 2010, 3:45 pm

This thread is likely to attract smokers. People who smoke usually get into it for social reasons (peer pressure, wanting to fit in, something to do together, learned behaviour) or because it's relaxing (in the beginning). I'm quite sure the social aspect of smoking doesen't appeal as much to aspies - though as previous threads has indicated we're not above socializing. However I think people with high levels of anxiety are more likely to chainsmoke - and smoking could easily turn into some kind of stim/routine/compulsion, thus making aspies vulnerable to excessive smoking (just an assumption, I doubt there is any research to back this up). Yet, I'd argue that aspies are far less likely to smoke than NTs on the basis of earlier studies (http://www.psy-journal.com/article/S016 ... 9/abstract , fairly small study though) done on psychiatric patients and aspies.

Pistonhead
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2010, 3:51 pm

No, I've had a half a cigarette in my lifetime. I'm considering picking up a cigar or two for nights playing pool at the bar.

JetLag
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2010, 4:51 pm

No, I don't smoke. I think it was my allergies that kept me from ever entertaining that thought.

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2010, 5:16 pm

LabPet wrote:
A fact (& of significant research interest) that those with Autistic Spectrum Disorders (ASD) are notably far less likely to smoke.

And yet, slightly more than half of the people who responded to the poll (so far) either smoke, used to smoke, or smoke something else.

Psiri
Toucan
Toucan

08 Oct 2010, 5:28 pm

Just given up. :D

ReallyGoodName
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Oct 2010, 7:14 pm

No and I think it should be outlawed. Everytime I mention it to my mom she talks about how fat I am.

When I eat a burger I don't force one down her throat as well.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2010, 7:18 pm

Psiri wrote:
Just given up. :D

Quitter topic

Great! And congrats to Wedge! (It was not too hard for me to quit, even though it was cold turkey. I hated spending the money on something that just went up in flames any way.) I am stubborn and determined. :twisted:

I smoked because I thought it made me look older. :roll: I was always very young looking (at my age, now a good thing)! Quit after five years, but I did not really ever like it. Maybe I had few if any nicotinic receptors. And the smell is disgusting. :evil:

A waste of time and money. I admire those who never started, but it is never too late to quit.

Labe Pet's link is fascinating. I have known some persons with schizophrenia who chain smoked. 8O

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2010, 10:37 pm

Mainly cigars, but I also smoke the occasional pipe or hookah depending on the circumstances. I smoke all of these things because they taste good, though blowing smoke rings is very relaxing and can become a borderline stim for me if I'm bored and smoking, trying to get the thickest, most perfectly formed ring or blow one through the other can become quite consuming. I also live on an island and ferry lines are a fact of life for me, so I keep a stash of small cigars sealed in mylar in my glove box in case I miss a boat, it really takes the sting out of having to wait an hour or more for the next one.

Tory_canuck
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2010, 11:34 pm

If I want something cheap...a cigarette
Once in a while, I have some weed
And then for the nice nights on the deck with a glass of rum or whiskey, a cigar and some salvadoran salsa musica.

ALBERTAN...and DAMN PROUD OF IT!!

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2010, 10:24 am

Never smoked in my life, smoking is disgusting. Lung cancer is even more disgusting.

I know one aspie who has smoked in an attempt to fit in with others,

Diagnosed under the DSM5 rules with autism spectrum disorder, under DSM4 psychologist said would have been AS (299.80) but I suspect that I am somewhere between 299.80 and 299.00 (Autism) under DSM4.

bigdave
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Oct 2010, 8:59 am

Assembly wrote:
However I think people with high levels of anxiety are more likely to chain smoke - and smoking could easily turn into some kind of stim/routine/compulsion, thus making aspies vulnerable to excessive smoking (just an assumption, I doubt there is any research to back this up). Yet, I'd argue that aspies are far less likely to smoke than NTs on the basis of earlier studies (http://www.psy-journal.com/article/S016 ... 9/abstract , fairly small study though) done on psychiatric patients and aspies.

I guess they could do some research on me. I have been a daily smoker for about 12 years. I started out slow and gradually worked my way up to a pack a day. Life has been so stressful this past couple months and so my smoking increased tremendously. I had gone from one pack a day to two packs a day. On a very stressful day or if I am going to a bar or club that number could increase to three. I enjoy everything from the flick of your lighter to putting the flame on the end and lighting the tip till you puff the cherry red. I love cigarettes way too much! I smoke them when I am bored, when I talk on the phone, when I drive, while I do any kind of work. Its always one and then comes another. Its never ending sometimes. I want to quit so badly but just haven't been able to find the motivation and willpower to do it. Until now I hope. I have tried nicotine gum, patches, and none of them worked. In fact the Chantix made me so depressed I was near suicidal(one of the more severe side effects). I have always felt so powerless about quitting but now after last night I think that has all changed. Here's to no more!! !!

GlassOnion
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Oct 2010, 9:29 am

Sometimes I smoke, but I try not to make a habit of it. I haven't been smoking lately. I don't do it for social reasons - I just do it because the nicotine feels pleasant. I never smoke at work because that would be rude to my employer.

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2010, 9:34 am

I'd smoke if I were on fire!

Heh heh....word pun 8)

Blue Jay
Blue Jay

11 Oct 2010, 7:53 am

I smoke a ciggarette about 3 times a week, I can quit any time I wan't but when I smoke my sence of smell gets inferior so I like to have a smoke when somebody in my house is cooking, for example, fish couse otherwise I wouldn't be able to stand the stench.

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2010, 10:12 am

What is smoke, I would say it is an aerosol of solid particles in a gas.

Maybe if I set fire to me I might emit smoke

Diagnosed under the DSM5 rules with autism spectrum disorder, under DSM4 psychologist said would have been AS (299.80) but I suspect that I am somewhere between 299.80 and 299.00 (Autism) under DSM4.