Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

bggallag
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

08 Oct 2010, 8:33 pm

Urrrgh. I hate Friday nights. Generally, 90% of the time I don't mind being an aspie, socially inept, and single. But Friday and Saturday nights are really hard, they were especially so in my later 20's and 30's (I'm 33 now). I keep hearing of friends going on date nights and stuff. Sigh.

A social for Annapolis, MD area adults with Asperger's. The social meets on the last Friday of the month. (21 years of age and older). Cards & board games &snacks. More info on fb page. http://www.facebook.com/Annapolis.Adults.Aspergers

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2010, 8:46 pm

You'll get to a point where you don't care about keeping up with others in that regard.

alex
Developer
Developer

08 Oct 2010, 8:54 pm

I used to go out every friday and socialize but I've gotten to a point where my time is better spent working on my films and Wrong Planet. I feel good knowing that I've done more with my life already than 99% of the girls at the club will do in their entire lifetime. That puts the importance of "going out" in perspective.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2010, 9:47 pm

alex wrote:
I used to go out every friday and socialize but I've gotten to a point where my time is better spent working on my films and Wrong Planet. I feel good knowing that I've done more with my life already than 99% of the girls at the club will do in their entire lifetime. That puts the importance of "going out" in perspective.

Yes I'm the same. Thats why I stopped wanting to go out this year. I would rather do something productive than make small talk with people i'm not really friends with.

Theres a party on tonight and I cannot be bothered going as I see it as a waste of time and not an advancement for my place in life.

Last edited by hale_bopp on 08 Oct 2010, 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bggallag

08 Oct 2010, 9:48 pm

I used to "go out" in college a lot, but being out of college it's a lot harder. I was never a clubbing-type, but would go once in awhile. Alex, where in DC are you? You can give me a general are, i.e, Georgetown or SW....or not :).

A social for Annapolis, MD area adults with Asperger's. The social meets on the last Friday of the month. (21 years of age and older). Cards & board games &snacks. More info on fb page. http://www.facebook.com/Annapolis.Adults.Aspergers

bggallag

08 Oct 2010, 9:50 pm

I need to figure out another hobby then I guess. I watch movies sometimes.

BrickHorse
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Oct 2010, 11:42 pm

I went to a club and dated someone I had met there. It was an experience that was entirely boring to me and was a complete waste of time.

I am much happier when submerged in my music :)

Andronicus
Butterfly
Butterfly

09 Oct 2010, 12:07 am

hale_bopp wrote:
You'll get to a point where you don't care about keeping up with others in that regard.

Yep - you'll leave it waaaay behind. Plus it's nice to get the washing and house-work done early, leaving the entire weekend free to work on those fun projects that have occupied your thoughts during your time at work.

sluice
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2010, 1:03 pm

Yeah, I have never really figured out the transition from meeting people in college and going out and doing stuff, and being on your own after college without the built-in social scene. The whole bar scene just isn't that appealing after a while. If you sit at home, you get that loser feeling, but there just isn't a whole lot to do that doesn't involve drinking and going to clubs here.

Grisha
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2010, 1:18 pm

Uggh - I HATE Friday/Saturday nights!

Going out/staying in, doesn't matter - I still feel like a total alien/creep/loser either way, I try to go to sleep as early as possible...

I don't feel like this when I'm in a relationship (rare in my case) - it's wrong, but that's how it is and I really don't know how to change it - how can I accept myself if nobody else can?

I think this is why so many guys end up addicted to gaming (or worse)...

My gosh, I'm just a @#$^ing ray of sunshine, aren't I? :roll:

GrimmRomance
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Oct 2010, 4:16 pm

I always feel as though I'm terribly dull, whenever the weekend is upon me. I never go out. I don't like it. But I still feel as though I'm missing out, even though I never enjoy dressing up, going out and socializing with people I don't even care for. It's the whole "everyone-else-is-doing-it"-thing. But at least my boyfriend doesn't go out that much. He's almost 30, been there - done that. I enjoy spending Friday nights playing video games and relaxing. ^^

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2010, 5:23 pm

I think I've gotten so use to these weekends that it doesn't make a big difference. I've been to clubs and never found the music or people in them very entertaining....too fake and the music usually sucks. But yeah I live across the street from a clubhouse and whenever I see friends and couples get together I keep thinking I should be doing something.

Mikelight
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Oct 2010, 5:28 pm

I've been going out every single weekend for the last few months. I realized that I needed to improve my social skills and the only way to do that was to go out and meet new people to interact with. Also I'm finally going to date again after 3 years so it's been important for me to know how to speak to ladies in the first place... apparently I had completely forgotten how to without getting all nervous and stuff.

I've made some friends along the way so it's cool :)

Grisha
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2010, 6:40 pm

Mikelight wrote:
I've been going out every single weekend for the last few months. I realized that I needed to improve my social skills and the only way to do that was to go out and meet new people to interact with. Also I'm finally going to date again after 3 years so it's been important for me to know how to speak to ladies in the first place... apparently I had completely forgotten how to without getting all nervous and stuff.

First, great work! keep it up!

Second, what do you do? Just walk up to people and start talking? What do you say? How do people react to it?

Mikelight
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Oct 2010, 6:45 pm

Grisha wrote:
Mikelight wrote:

First, great work! keep it up!

Second, what do you do? Just walk up to people and start talking? What do you say? How do people react to it?

Thanks!

Well I just observe them for a moment, and pick out something that we may have in common that I can ask about. Once you get to where they are talking to you it's no problem to move the conversation by asking questions and exchanging ideas. Some people will talk and you'll get along and it's all good. Some people give you the face and then you leave them alone... lol.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2010, 7:08 pm

GrimmRomance wrote:
I always feel as though I'm terribly dull, whenever the weekend is upon me. I never go out. I don't like it. But I still feel as though I'm missing out, even though I never enjoy dressing up, going out and socializing with people I don't even care for. It's the whole "everyone-else-is-doing-it"-thing. But at least my boyfriend doesn't go out that much. He's almost 30, been there - done that. I enjoy spending Friday nights playing video games and relaxing. ^^

I agree. I would rather be relaxing than going out, I don't see the appeal anymore. Maybe it changes when your interests involve one person more than multiple people though.