Racial joke at work! What do I do???

Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Omnicognic
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2010, 5:36 pm

On a related note:

I have very few friends, but the ones I have are close. One of my friends is jewish another is black. This fact rarely crosses my mind as they aren't a religion or a race to me, they are friends. I have heard a few jewish jokes, none particularly offensive but all were told by my jewish buddy.. my friend who is black, hates the term "african american" as taking politically correct too far. He says that if we start down that road it leads to white people being referred to as "european americans" and on and on.. personally, I believe white guy, black guy, blond guy, red headed woman, guy in the blue shirt, little boy, man with the mermaid tattoo... only decribe appearance, not who a person is... enough labels, even "politically correct" labels. Humans come in a variety, but all are human.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2010, 4:40 am

Omnicognic wrote:
On a related note:

I have very few friends, but the ones I have are close. One of my friends is jewish another is black. This fact rarely crosses my mind as they aren't a religion or a race to me, they are friends. I have heard a few jewish jokes, none particularly offensive but all were told by my jewish buddy.. my friend who is black, hates the term "african american" as taking politically correct too far. He says that if we start down that road it leads to white people being referred to as "european americans" and on and on.. personally, I believe white guy, black guy, blond guy, red headed woman, guy in the blue shirt, little boy, man with the mermaid tattoo... only decribe appearance, not who a person is... enough labels, even "politically correct" labels. Humans come in a variety, but all are human.

Very true.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2010, 2:51 pm

Omnicognic wrote:
. . . I have heard a few jewish jokes, none particularly offensive but all were told by my jewish buddy...
And a Jewish comedian can tell jokes about Jewish people. A black comedian can tell jokes about black people. But a white comedian could not tell jokes about black people, at least not without making people feel uncomfortable. Maybe it shouldn't be that way, but it is.

(Now, we as people with Asperger's can accept current reality, and at the same time pick our battles.)

Kaspie
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Oct 2010, 11:22 pm

Whether or not the trainer meant it as racist (and I don't think he did), it still wasn't an appropriate place for that kind of joke. Discretion, discretion, discretion!

157/200 Aspie -- 41/200 NT