Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

buckets
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 May 2006, 7:34 am

hi, i m very new to this site, i have just recently found out that my younger teen brother has AS.
It explains alot, and i can kinda now see why he is like he is. but i still have and have always had a troubled relationship with him. I really want our relationship to become more like the one i have with my youngest brother and the ones i see my friends have with their brothers. but i dont know how to go about it.
I want to know whether there is anyone else in their teens like me, who no matter how hard they try just cant get along with their AS sibling (brother or sister), or if you do how do you go about it. Also if there is neone with AS who could give me some tips that would be great to. I'd appreciate any help i can get. Thanks in advance

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2006, 8:02 am

The only suggestion that I can give is to treat him the way that you treat your other Sibling and your Friends. Be a friend and a sibling to him, instead of a Parent. My Younger Sister doesn't treat me like a Friend or a Sibling. She treats me like a Patient and I find that very annoying, you know. Like Rain Man. I avoid her at all cost, when she comes over. I love her, but I don't like the way that she treats me, and I've even told her to stop abusing me, at one point. Treat him the way that you would treat your NT brother and your friends and there will be a much better bond between the two of you, than there is, between my sister and I.

spacemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2006, 4:33 pm

I agree, it's important that you not be condescending.

But also, you must understand that it just may not be possible to be as "close" to him as you would like, or in the same way as you are with others.

These are two obstacles that could develop in your realationship.

buckets
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

29 May 2006, 3:07 am

yea, you are probably right space monkey, its kinda tough accepting that tho. but its just something i'll have to get used to

NathanHarding
Butterfly
Butterfly

30 May 2006, 7:21 pm

buckets wrote:
hi, i m very new to this site, i have just recently found out that my younger teen brother has AS.
It explains alot, and i can kinda now see why he is like he is. but i still have and have always had a troubled relationship with him. I really want our relationship to become more like the one i have with my youngest brother and the ones i see my friends have with their brothers. but i dont know how to go about it.
I want to know whether there is anyone else in their teens like me, who no matter how hard they try just cant get along with their AS sibling (brother or sister), or if you do how do you go about it. Also if there is neone with AS who could give me some tips that would be great to. I'd appreciate any help i can get. Thanks in advance

Man, I'm 13 yrs old, I got AS, and my 5 min younger brother is a jackass.