Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2010, 9:18 pm

They're well trained.

Zara
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2010, 10:11 pm

America makes it hard to be liked. Even by it's own.

During my lifetime thus far, things have just got worse, not better. Each party keeps taking their turn at the wheel and we keep straying off course and the fighting just gets worse and worse. I have little faith left in either the Republicans or Democrats; Republican's are just hypocrites when it comes to rights and spending, Democrats are just cowards and won't stand up for what they claim to be for. The Tea Party is no realistic alternative as it just wants to take this country backwards to some imaginary utopia to be run by useful idiots.

I hate to think how bad things will be during the next presidential election, and even after. I'm sick and tired of all this BS that goes on with pundits, lobbyists, PACs, corporate influences and how extremism and flat out lies is becoming the norm.

It'll get a lot worse before it gets better. If a second Civil War happens eventually, I'd rather not be here since I care not to fight for any of these idiots.

Come check out my photography!
http://dmausf.deviantart.com/

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2010, 1:38 am

Chevand wrote:
Slipperman wrote:
I'm just sick of it all...If I had the money and the means to up and move over to Canada, I most certainly would. At least Canada has respect and sympathy for Aspies there, and they play Lights on the radio.

Come on up! That's exactly what I did (for many of the same reasons you cited), and I haven't regretted it once. :P If the good ol' "patriots" want to throw around that old cliché line about "if you don't like it, you can get out", then fine. Removes them from my life just as well as it removes me from theirs-- and I live someplace now where my views are appreciated, and I've got friends. Although, I will say, I'm not sure about how things are in Ontario-- I suspect better than here in BC-- but I've lived in Vancouver for a few years now, and there's a disappointing lack of support options for Aspies.

but canada has thrown up a very tall wall to block most americans from not only living in canada but from even merely ENTERING canada. 10s of thousands of yanks were turned away at the border when they tried to attend the olympic games a while back.

Wombat
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2010, 2:35 am

Tell me about these "freedoms".

100 years ago (1910) there was no such thing as car registration or driver's licenses. (Yes, they had cars)
For that matter they didn't have dog licenses or fishing licenses or gun licenses.

You could walk into any gun shop and buy a pistol over the counter.
You could walk into any Drug Store and buy opium or cocaine or hemp oil.
You could walk into any bank and start an account in the name of Bill Smith.
You could wear a six-gun on your hip and a Bowie knife on your other hip.

You could cross the road wherever you wanted without some fool giving you a ticket for jay walking.
You could spank your kids without Social Services taking them away and jailing you.
Come to think of it they didn't have Income Tax either.

Even in Iraq under Saddam Hussein any person could walk into a gun shop and buy a fully automatic AK-47.

Tell us again how free we are?

Chevand
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2010, 12:50 pm

auntblabby wrote:
Chevand wrote:
Slipperman wrote:
I'm just sick of it all...If I had the money and the means to up and move over to Canada, I most certainly would. At least Canada has respect and sympathy for Aspies there, and they play Lights on the radio.

Come on up! That's exactly what I did (for many of the same reasons you cited), and I haven't regretted it once. :P If the good ol' "patriots" want to throw around that old cliché line about "if you don't like it, you can get out", then fine. Removes them from my life just as well as it removes me from theirs-- and I live someplace now where my views are appreciated, and I've got friends. Although, I will say, I'm not sure about how things are in Ontario-- I suspect better than here in BC-- but I've lived in Vancouver for a few years now, and there's a disappointing lack of support options for Aspies.

but canada has thrown up a very tall wall to block most americans from not only living in canada but from even merely ENTERING canada. 10s of thousands of yanks were turned away at the border when they tried to attend the olympic games a while back.

Hmm... I dunno, then. That hasn't been my experience. I visited Canada four times before moving here (once to Quebec, once to Ontario, and twice to BC), and I wasn't turned away. I even managed to get through college at a Canadian university, and to obtain a work permit. So long as you've got a valid passport, and you're not bringing a truckload of guns or livestock across the border, and you have no history of felony, I can't imagine why there'd be a problem.

Wombat wrote:
Tell me about these "freedoms".

100 years ago (1910) there was no such thing as car registration or driver's licenses. (Yes, they had cars)
For that matter they didn't have dog licenses or fishing licenses or gun licenses.

You could walk into any gun shop and buy a pistol over the counter.
You could walk into any Drug Store and buy opium or cocaine or hemp oil.
You could walk into any bank and start an account in the name of Bill Smith.
You could wear a six-gun on your hip and a Bowie knife on your other hip.

You could cross the road wherever you wanted without some fool giving you a ticket for jay walking.
You could spank your kids without Social Services taking them away and jailing you.
Come to think of it they didn't have Income Tax either.

Even in Iraq under Saddam Hussein any person could walk into a gun shop and buy a fully automatic AK-47.

Tell us again how free we are?

I can't tell if you're being serious or facetious about this. There's a reason driver's licenses, background checks for gun owners, and the prohibition on selling certain drugs over-the-counter were put into place. There are just some people who shouldn't be given automatic access to those things, for the sake of public safety.

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2010, 5:51 pm

[quote]
I like America, just as everybody else does. I love America, I gotta say that. But America will be judged.
Bob Dylan
{/quote]

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2010, 11:54 pm

Chevand wrote:
Hmm... I dunno, then. That hasn't been my experience. I visited Canada four times before moving here (once to Quebec, once to Ontario, and twice to BC), and I wasn't turned away. I even managed to get through college at a Canadian university, and to obtain a work permit. So long as you've got a valid passport, and you're not bringing a truckload of guns or livestock across the border, and you have no history of felony, I can't imagine why there'd be a problem.

if you have so much as a traffic infraction on your record, that is a no-no as car as canadian immigration authorities are concerned. 10s of thousands of american olympics fans were turned away at the border, during the recent olympic games in vancouver, for similar reasons.

Wombat
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2010, 4:01 am

Chevand wrote:
I can't tell if you're being serious or facetious about this. There's a reason driver's licenses, background checks for gun owners, and the prohibition on selling certain drugs over-the-counter were put into place. There are just some people who shouldn't be given automatic access to those things, for the sake of public safety.

No, I am not being facetious. Let's say that settlers to the New World started turning up around the year 1500. From there to the year 1900 is 400 years.

During that time they never saw fit to restrict the ownership of guns or to stop people using opium or hemp. So why now?

I am a Baby Boomer. I got a BB gun when I was eight years old. Many boys were given .22 rifles when they were 10 or 12 years old.
We used to be able to buy fireworks and very powerful firecrackers and we had a lot of fun with them. My father gave me my grandfather's pocket knife when I was nine years old.

Now in Australia owning a BB gun is a $1000 fine. Owning a pocket knife or even a slingshot is a $1000 fine. Fireworks are totally banned.
So is the latest generation so totally pathetic and stupid that they need a license to wipe their own noses?

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2010, 4:03 am

Shouldn't the question be: why do -some- Americans hate America? I am an American (UnitedStatesean) and I don't hate America. I find most of the people I meet here he live here and are American to be sufficiently decent folk.

ruveyn

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2010, 4:18 am

Wombat wrote:
Chevand wrote:

No, I am not being facetious. Let's say that settlers to the New World started turning up around the year 1500. From there to the year 1900 is 400 years.

During that time they never saw fit to restrict the ownership of guns or to stop people using opium or hemp. So why now?

I am a Baby Boomer. I got a BB gun when I was eight years old. Many boys were given .22 rifles when they were 10 or 12 years old.
We used to be able to buy fireworks and very powerful firecrackers and we had a lot of fun with them. My father gave me my grandfather's pocket knife when I was nine years old.

Now in Australia owning a BB gun is a $1000 fine. Owning a pocket knife or even a slingshot is a $1000 fine. Fireworks are totally banned.
So is the latest generation so totally pathetic and stupid that they need a license to wipe their own noses?

And how do the housewives and chefs manage to prepare food without knives?

bloodshot
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 Oct 2010, 4:38 am

As a non-American who frequent American forums, I am tired of hearing Americans complaining about having to be American.

Your nation has been the no.1 contributor to human advances, technology, business and arts wise. Overall America's influence on the developed world is a positive one. Would you prefer if the Soviets had won the Cold War instead?

Imapanda
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 Oct 2010, 4:42 am

I don't hate America, I just hate how America hasn't joined the 21st Century yet.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2010, 4:43 am

bloodshot wrote:
As a non-American who frequent American forums, I am tired of hearing Americans complaining about having to be American.

Your nation has been the no.1 contributor to human advances, technology, business and arts wise. Overall America's influence on the developed world is a positive one. Would you prefer if the Soviets had won the Cold War instead?

The USA is a very powerful and energetic country with much positive and much negative in its motivations and accomplishments. There is nothing wrong with assessing what is right and what is wrong and criticizing its faults.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2010, 7:13 am

Sand wrote:

The USA is a very powerful and energetic country with much positive and much negative in its motivations and accomplishments. There is nothing wrong with assessing what is right and what is wrong and criticizing its faults.

Truly said.

ruveyn

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2010, 8:55 am

Imapanda wrote:
I don't hate America, I just hate how America hasn't joined the 21st Century yet.

YES :!: :idea:

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2010, 8:59 am

bloodshot wrote:

as a non-american, maybe you should try living in a country with no affordable healthcare! any person with half a noodle can see america's good points, so get a clue and realize that americans have a right to complain among themselves about the abundant bad points as well. if you don't like americans complaining about their problems, then that is unfortunate, but this is our affair.

Last edited by auntblabby on 30 Oct 2010, 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.