Page 2 of 4 [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

SteamPowerDev
Toucan
Toucan

09 Oct 2010, 4:28 pm

I have considered this very problem several times. I tend to sleep in a ball or at an angle, since my feet hang off of the bed. And the thought of having to share a bed with someone who might be breathing on me while they sleep or touch me while I try to sleep is, at the very least, distracting, and I have a hard time sleeping as it is.

Avengilante
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Oct 2010, 4:33 pm

Other bodies make the bed too hot to sleep. And humans always want to talk.

And they steal the covers.

GrimmRomance
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Oct 2010, 4:40 pm

It feels secure. Waking up next to someone you loves is a comfortable feeling.
Sure it may get too hot for comfort some times, and most partners tend to steal the covers sometimes (I do too!), but I like not sleeping on my own.

MotherKnowsBest
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2010, 4:49 pm

On cold nights you can keep your feet warm. A good husband should never complain about his wife putting her cold feet on him during the night. :wink:

BlueMage
Toucan
Toucan

09 Oct 2010, 4:59 pm

Hugs are nice. Don't aspies like hugs? Sleeping together means hugging all night.

I'd never want to sleep in the same bed with someone I'm not really "sleeping with" though, except my cats.

Mark198423
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2010, 5:13 pm

I loved sleeping with my ex. It's something I miss!

Cicely
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2010, 5:46 pm

Ick. I can't sleep if there are other people in the same room, much less in the same bed. It's bad enough sharing a hotel bed with my sister on family vacations.

MizLiz
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2010, 5:56 pm

My parents don't. This has nothing to do with my dad's AS, they just have very different sleep schedules.

When I was with my ex bf, he'd always want to (literally) sleep together and I was just like....

"I have hyperacute hearing. You don't have permission to be offended by my wearing earplugs."

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2010, 2:28 am

MizLiz wrote:
"I have hyperacute hearing. You don't have permission to be offended by my wearing earplugs."

I completely understand. I have this too when I was on holiday and I had to sleep in the same room as my parents. Luckily I no longer have to do such things except when I go on holiday occasionally with my Dad to Cyprus to see my family

Pistonhead
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2010, 2:35 am

It's a nice feeling to have your spine up against someone else's while you try to become unconscious.

mjs82
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2010, 3:16 am

Because buying two beds and two sets of blankets and sheets is expensive

LK
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Oct 2010, 3:48 am

When I was a child, I hated sharing a bed with one of my parents when my family went on vacations. I do not like the way people sound when they breathe, and I have a hard time falling asleep. The warmth also bothers me... they did not have to touch me, I could just feel the warmth radiating from them. I once shared a bed, rather, a bunch of blankets on the floor with one of my friends. She moved a lot, and I had a hard time sleeping because of it.

I would like to think it would be different with a spouse, but I don't know. I do not mind when the cats sleep in my bed, but even they bother me if they touch me too much.

While Mr. Kim... has fallen prey to the inexplicable need for human contact, let me step in and assure you that my research will go on uninterrupted, and that social relationships will continue to baffle and repulse me.
- Dr. Sheldon Cooper (TBBT)

Kiseki
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2010, 10:30 pm

I wouldn't mind so much sleeping in the same bed sometimes as long as we had separate bedrooms to do other thngs. The thought of sharing 1 room with someone else is just horrifying!

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2010, 10:16 am

MotherKnowsBest wrote:
On cold nights you can keep your feet warm. A good husband should never complain about his wife putting her cold feet on him during the night. :wink:

Well a good husband is more than willing to share his body heat with his wife but a husband is more than a foot warmer :)

Diagnosed under the DSM5 rules with autism spectrum disorder, under DSM4 psychologist said would have been AS (299.80) but I suspect that I am somewhere between 299.80 and 299.00 (Autism) under DSM4.

kx250rider
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

11 Oct 2010, 11:16 am

I share a bed with my wife, and 5 chihuahuas. It's crowded, but cozy. I actually wake up feeling insecure if I sleep alone. We do sometimes sleep separately if one of us is sick, or if one has to get up super-early, etc. That way we don't disturb each other. But 9/10 times, we sleep together.

Charles

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2010, 11:44 am

SteelMaiden wrote:
Why do couples share a bed? The thought of that horrifies me

Two main reasons:

1) Sex, plain and simple
2) To be closer to their partners and other emotional cheesy stuff

Stereotypically, men focus more on 1 whereas women focus more on 2.