17 year old Aspie gamer girl from Michigan

Page 2 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2010, 3:53 pm

slovaksiren wrote:
My screenname? Well, you see, I am actually half Slovak and half German and my father's side has a strong Slovak heritage. They came to America a few years before WWII broke out while my mother's side is Pennsylvanian Dutch, they aren't Dutch though, they are German, the Dutch thing was actually from a false cognate, but they are like the Amish and Quaker's and whatnot.

But yeah... I don't really know a lot of Slovak... I mean, I pick up a few words here and there, but ever since my grandfather married my grandmother, he sort of stopped speaking it, but every so often he does. We have a lot of traditions like every Sunday my father makes breakfast and turns on the polka music while he cooks and during Christmas we have sauerkraut soup and these prune biscuits with a name I can't spell to save my soul along with a nutroll known as kolachi and a prune cake that I also can't spell, but I like the biscuits, I know how it is pronounced.

As for the siren part... well... I was looking for something creative and I thought that siren was a nice noun that fit...

Sprechen sie Deutsch!?

slovaksiren
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2010, 4:32 pm

Nie...

Sorry... my mother's side kind of got a bit absorbed. They no longer farm for a living or anything and they came from Germany in like, I'm talking like the eighteenth century I am guessing as opposed to my father's side coming right before World War II.

LeeAnderson
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2010, 8:01 pm

alex wrote:
Welcome to Wrong Planet! Geekiness is an attractive quality to a lot of guys!

Agreed. Some of the coolest girls I know are total geeks, and usually gamers.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2010, 12:51 pm

slovaksiren wrote:
...I was dressed as Afghanis-tan from the manga of the same name which is like Hetalia, but it focuses on the Middle East and the "stan" countries.

Sweet.

I don't really know what any of that means, though; I don't really watch anime or read mangas or anything =/ So it made me feel a bit out of place there =) There were quite a lot of videogame characters I recognized, though, so that was cool.

KingofCorrect
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 Oct 2010, 3:44 pm

Hey! Another American, we are sort of a rare species in this community, you even more so.

I used to watch anime. I was into the silly stuff like Abenoboshi, Excel Saga, and Najica: Blitz tactics. The Humerits seemed similar to us. Not understanding why the world works the way it does and trying to fit in as best they can.

I like Zelda too, but i don't have a Wii, so the last one i played was Wind Waker, which i did not finish because I ended up having to sell my Gamecube, and i forgot to remove the card. :oops:

slovaksiren
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2010, 4:43 pm

Americans are rare in this community? Are you saying there are more people in Europe on here or something?

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2010, 4:33 pm

slovaksiren wrote:
Americans are rare in this community?

Hmm...he seems to be mistaken, from what I've seen...

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2010, 4:36 pm

There are loads of Americans on here.

Blake_be_cool
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2010, 8:13 am

Welcome!

Xenu
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2010, 5:07 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! I also am a massive Nintendo Fan (However I have moved on from being a fanboy)