Page 1 of 28 [ 435 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 28  Next

sluice
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2010, 11:42 pm

and where did the idea for it come from?

I thought I wanted to be an astronaut/astronomer. I am not sure where it came from
but I can remember trying to build my own telescope because we didn't have the extra
money to buy one. It didn't really work all that well. I am not sure where my idea came from
because I was the only kid in my neighborhood thinking that way and no one in my family
were scientists. The only other thing I considered for a period was paleontology and I think
every kid goes through one of those phases.

Did anyone actually become what they thought they wanted to be as a kid? That would be cool.

thehandmedown
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Oct 2010, 11:49 pm

I wanted to be an actress/comedian. I liked immitating people, I thought they talked funny and made funny faces so Id mock them. And it made people laugh. So from then on I figured the only way I was capable of interacting with people was through humor.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2010, 12:07 am

for the most part, i was never really sure. up until my teens in fact, i had not a clue. it never even entered my mind to want to do or become anything at all. by the time of my HS graduation, i thought i wanted to be either a broadcast engineer or a social worker but i was/am woefully unqualified for either profession.

Nagy
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

11 Oct 2010, 12:13 am

Nice thread Sluice.
I believe in my younger years I wanted to be an Engineer, or that's what my family said I could be. All I remember that I was gathering information about anything and everything. And the most thing that amazed me and still amazes me is Space.
But but to enter an engineering school in my country requires high scores in high school exams, which I didn't achieve due to family hardships back then. So I ended up as a freelance subtitler instead, which came in my way only by pure coincidence.

My passions from a common spring.

menintights
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2010, 12:52 am

I'd wanted to be a writer since first grade, but every time someone asked me what I wanted to be I kept saying something else (doctor/engineer/lawyer/teacher/composer/inventor/vet/athlete/actress/rapper) because even then I knew how ridiculous it was to want to be a writer. Even in college I thought to major in something else while secretly working toward my dream as a writer, but for various reasons (AS notwithstanding) that plan failed.

Today I'm nowhere near being a writer, sadly. It no longer matters, though. I've found that I'm more interested in having a job than having a career.

Sparrowrose
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2010, 12:54 am

When I was very young, like age eight to eleven, I wanted to be a veterinarian. This was because I loved animals and because I read and re-read the James Herriot books obsessively. After about the fiftieth time my mother told me that people with bad grades and conduct problems don't become veterinarians (I should never have revealed any of my dreams to her) I gave up.

I didn't have any ambitions again until I was fifteen and wanted to be a neurosurgeon. All my teachers told me I'd never make it because my grades weren't good enough to get into university. That dream only lasted a few months before I gave up again.

I've never really had another ambition since. I'm making my way through university with the aim of being a professor, but it's not a great dream of mine or anything. I just wanted to be something, anything, so I could have a decent income. After reflection on the requirements of various professions, I decided that professor was most likely to be something I could handle. And so I just chose the subject I got the best grades in at university and have been plugging my way forward ever since.

I've finished Master's level and have to work through a few years of doctorate work and then, God willing, someone will hire me to do what I've been training to do. And maybe I can actually even put something good into the world in the process.

Avatar=WWI propaganda poster promoting victory gardens.

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2010, 2:01 am

I wanted to either be a train engineer or a designer for the lego corporation.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

Kaybee
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2010, 2:34 am

I wanted to be an ichthyologist because of my love of sharks.

sluice
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2010, 4:16 am

Thanks Nagy. Nice going with going after the PhD, Sparrow.

Sharkweek is one of my favorite times to watch TV. I am a big giant squid person too.

Can you imitate accents and voices, handmedown? I can do a bad Aussie.

It took me awhile to figure out that engineers weren't all train conductors. I think I used to watch that train show for kids on public television. What can I say I wasn't all that quick with certain things. :o

Kaybee
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2010, 6:16 am

sluice wrote:
Sharkweek is one of my favorite times to watch TV. I am a big giant squid person too.

I loved Shark Week back when it was documentaries and such. And I am also a huge fan of the giant squid architeuthis!

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2010, 7:00 am

Kaybee wrote:

I have a terrible itch perhaps you could look at? :-P

I wanted to be an astronaut, then an artist, then a musician.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2010, 7:06 am

Quote:
What did you want to be as a kid

i wanted to be left alone and not badgered.

i wanted to be fed and i wanted to be dry and i wanted to not be cold or hot.

i wanted to find out the answers to what my queries were and i wanted to breathe easily and i wanted to drink when i was thirsty.

i wanted to experiment with situations that would teach me what is going on in the parts of my reality i was curious about.

Kaybee
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2010, 7:09 am

Moog wrote:
Kaybee wrote:

I have a terrible itch perhaps you could look at? :-P

Depends. Is it somewhere exciting?

And the "ch" is pronounced like a "k." :-P

Cicero
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

11 Oct 2010, 8:03 am

I wanted to live in the middle earth from lord of the rings in grade school.

Later I wanted to be a rock star.

Also thought it would be fun to be a jet fighter pilot.

Also wanted to be a scientist like my dad, but I didn't do well enough in high school.

Ended up as a computer programmer.

Atama
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

11 Oct 2010, 8:23 am

I wanted to either be a zoologist or a primatologist. And I was going to be one of them for sure.
Now I grew up and I don't even know why I am in law school...

Dr_Horrible
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Oct 2010, 10:37 am

Archaeologist or paleontologist.

Guess what interest consumed me 8)