Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2010, 10:48 pm

wavefreak58 wrote:
OddFiction wrote:
I always thought to interpret "one sided verbosity" as "one sided conversations". By which I mean, the verbose person giving far more information during their turn at talking than are the other persons involved in the discussion/conversation.

If that's wrong, I need to know what it means too...

----

Wave: More important or interesting might be WHY you kept quiet in social situations.

I think WHY is indeed the critical situation. The best that I can recall is that I often 'had no words'. If something was said, I would have a thought but no words to attach to it. It was as if I had thoughts in one place and this pile of words in another - actually a rather large pile of words. But sorting through the words and linking them to a thought wasn't always possible. So I would shrug or something. I've gotten quite good at attaching words to thoughts, but as might be evident in some of my posts in other threads, not always very successful in communicating. My thinking, when in it's 'comfort zone' is very non-verbal. Not exactly visual either. But certainly more visual than verbal. So I expend a huge amount of energy 'translating' my thoughts into symbolic form (i.e. words).

I also have trouble with the reverse translation. If someone is speaking to me and the words don't immediately find a referent to a thought, they start queuing up and I start missing important pieces of the information stream.

Does this sound like an autistic thing?

I'm sorry for being persistent but I was hoping someone might comment on this description of how I process language.

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2010, 8:17 am

Bump.

Anybody have anything to add to my last post in this thread?

blondeambition
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2010, 8:24 am

It can be hard to really know if you had a language delay or language difficulties as a younger. My mom tells me that I was shy but just fine. Others don't agree. If there was no formal evaluation as a child, speech therapy, etc., it's hard to really know--I mean who can really remember how well they talked at 4 or 5?

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2010, 10:20 am

blondeambition wrote:
It can be hard to really know if you had a language delay or language difficulties as a younger. My mom tells me that I was shy but just fine. Others don't agree. If there was no formal evaluation as a child, speech therapy, etc., it's hard to really know--I mean who can really remember how well they talked at 4 or 5?

I can remember quite clearly how I interacted in later childhood years, but much less clearly at age 4 or 5. There are a few very early memories that are very clear. Almost photographic.

Ultimately is is an academic distinction since HFA and AS merge into effectively the same thing later in life.