'Aspie' moment- funny things that have happened to you

Page 2 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

MXH
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2010, 6:32 pm

I throw out some awsome 1 liners every so often with friends. Most crash and burn though.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2010, 6:49 pm

IdahoRose wrote:
Once when I was a little kid, my little brother hit his head and got a huge bump on it. My mom called me over.
"Alex," she said. "Look what your brother did to his head!"
I thought this was an excellent time to show her a new word I learned. So I said:
"It's pretty gruesome."
My mother got angry and said:
"Don't you dare talk about your little brother that way!"
I was confused, because I thought she'd be proud of me for using a big word.

Yet another time, I was complaining about my sister (yes, the same one from the previous story) and how she always borrowed my clothes and never returned them. My mom said, "Don't let her borrow anything then. Just tell her no."
About a day or two later, I was wearing a new shirt and my sister said, "That's a really nice new shirt."
I anticipated that she was about to ask to borrow it, so I told her, "Yeah. It's too bad you'll never get to wear it."
When my parents found out, they were absolutely furious with me. I was confused, because I thought they'd be proud of me for not letting her borrow my shirt. It literally took me years to realize that what I said was very rude.

I didn't get the first part but the second part I think I can understand. You were supposed to wait until she asks if she can borrow your shirt and then you say "no" and that's it.

Kaybee
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2010, 8:11 pm

Him: "There was a sausage party at Jason's last night."
Me: "I like sausage."

>_<; :oops:

yellowtamarin
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2010, 8:47 pm

wavefreak58 wrote:
Many years ago I had just seen Star Wars. I asked a coworker if she had seen it. It took a few minutes for me to realize that she thought I was asking her out to actually see go see it. So I went with it and took her to see Star Wars.

We celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary in 2008

Aww I like that one!

My dad still feels bad about something he said when I was little. I didn't like eating my green vegetables, but this time at dinner I cleaned up the whole plate, with just a couple of peas left. I was really proud of myself and showed my parents, and dad said "but you haven't finished your greens!". He meant it to be sarcastic and funny because he really was proud of me. But I took him seriously and burst into tears. I can actually still kind of remember the feeling of devastation as my "proud moment" was crushed.

Spergling
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

11 Oct 2010, 9:06 pm

this is sort of private, but seeing as these forums are a haven i think i can share, even though i was embarrassed for some time. once in class, i (apparently) began "playing with myself" even though i hadnt even noticed! and my teacher gt really angry and everyone laughed and make me leave. TOTAL aspie moment. :?

websister
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Oct 2010, 9:07 pm

Following a doctor's exam, getting dressed and waiting in the exam room until the doctor came in and asked if anything was wrong. Apparently I was supposed to have known to come out after I was dressed to get my lab requisition.
Same type of thing at the psychologists office after one of my son's testing sessions, he came to the waiting room and apparently indicated non-verbally for me to join him in his office. I continued to sit and he had to come back out and ask me to join him in the office.
From my son's - when my second son was in computer class about 10 years ago, he was getting more and more upset with how old the information was that they were learning and how the only operating system they were learning was Windows. He kept interrupting his teacher with more up to date information. His teacher sarcastically asked him if he would like to come up and teach the class and he enthusiastically got up and started going over other operating systems like BEOS and Linux.
Later, once he had a job, he was showing up 5 - 15 minutes late every day as he was dropping his girlfriend off at her job first. He never thought to explain this to his boss as he didn't ask why he was late. His boss did tell him that if he was going to be late the next day not to bother showing up. The next morning, knowing that once again he was late, he just drove home after dropping his girlfriend off. The boss then realized how literally he took everything.
With myself and three boys on the spectrum, I could go on and on .... I think that would be an Aspie trait also :)

Omnicognic
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2010, 9:19 pm

There is a 7-11 (convenience store) near my house I have been frequenting since I was too young to see over the counter.. over the years I have tripped and fallen over the "WET FLOOR" signs dozens of times, but I have never slipped on a wet floor there!

James0Zero
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Oct 2010, 1:31 am

I absolutely refused to do notes in school. I mean straight up refused. And the notes at my school were MANDATORY. I got called up in the middle of class on it, I told them, the counselor, and the principle, that I would do all the written assignments, essays, and 200 question tests they could give me and ace them all but they could take there useless notes and shove them where the sun doesn't shine... I did of course but not without having a perpetual D or C in all my classes because of such. But I wouldn't have done the notes even if they failed me :)

"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'"-George Carlin

BriannaBee
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Oct 2010, 4:15 am

wavefreak58 wrote:
Many years ago I had just seen Star Wars. I asked a coworker if she had seen it. It took a few minutes for me to realize that she thought I was asking her out to actually see go see it. So I went with it and took her to see Star Wars.

We celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary in 2008

Aww. What a nice miscommunication. :)

I sometimes take people too seriously which usually results in me getting embarassed. Like this one time I was talking to someone (Who also has Asperger's) about this game he had and I asked about the plot or something and he told me that he didn't know what a plot was. I asked him if he was serious and he said yes so I started to explain what it was and he told me he was only joking. At least me and him were the only people there.

Kiseki
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2010, 9:04 am

Oh God, here's one from just this past weekend.

I went to a club with my friends and it was too hot, I was tired and felt kind of lonely so I was more apt to say stupid things. This girl was next to me and going through her purse and I saw some kind of shiny, red cloth in there. I guess it was a handkerchief or something but I said "Oh, is that your underwear?" then laughed.

Thank God the music was loud. I don't thik she understood me.

Squirrelrat
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Oct 2010, 9:18 am

I've had a lot of accidentally smartass moments. On the first day of the second semester of my sophomore year in highschool, someone put "Gym" on my schedule even though I had already taken and completed a gym class. Our school was so overcrowded that we couldn't just go to the counselor's office to change our classes; we'd have to schedule an appointment first. So I went to gym that day, and after the first few minutes of hearing the gym coach speak, I could tell that this course would be a miserable one if I stayed. Right away, he had us split up into groups to play basketball. Not only did I not know how to play, but he put me, an akward, timid female, in a group of buff, aggressive boys. There was absolutely no way that I could go through with his assignment, so I sat down on the bleachers.

The coach came up to me and said, "If you don't participate in class, you'll get a zero for the day!"

I responded with, "I don't care."

To me, this sounded like a perfectly reasonable thing to say. I didn't care whether or not I would get a zero for the day because I had already passed a gym class. With that and these insane conditions, I saw no point in participating.

Then he asked me, "You don't care if you get a zero?"

And I said, "No."

He told me to go to the assistant principal's office and tell him to give me In School Suspension for "not obeying". I had an embarrassing breakdown in front of the assistant principal.

cmjust0
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Oct 2010, 11:15 am

I had kind of a math phobia in elementary and high school.. The whole thing was rooted in the fact that my 5th grade math teacher was an evil witch about 10 years overdue for retirement, but that's neither here nor there. The important thing is that, after that experience, math classes caused me to be anxious.

Unfortunately, I *was* good at it so there was always a disconnect between what I felt like I could do, and that which placement tests indicated I could do. I always ended up being placed higher than I felt capable of accomplishing...not a great situation. Happened several times.

ANYWAY...rambling...I was put in pre-calculus during my senior year of high school. Early in the year, about 80% of the class was just epic failing everything. Everybody was totally lost.. The teacher had pretty much had all she could take of us being morons, so she flipped out one day and started yelling at us. Thinking back, she was looking at pretty much everybody in the room at various points, including me.. Not JUST me, though I felt like it at times.

At one point, she said "If you can't can't figure out what I'm talking about..." -- happens to look directly at me -- "...then you need to go down to the counselor's office and drop this class!"

I said "I tried, but she won't let me."

I didn't say it in a mean way...I was just responding. Her tirade was, of course, very much rhetorical but I don't really "do" rhetorical, so she was taken aback.

She stopped yelling after that. When class was finished, she held me over for just a minute and apologized, saying she wasn't talking to *me, per se,* but to everyone, and that she was just frustrated. I reiterated that I really had tried to drop, but they wouldn't let me, and that I was stuck and would just have to do the best I could.

In hindsight, after reading some of the stories here...it was pretty clearly an Aspie moment. lol

AnnePande
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2010, 11:22 am

Kaybee wrote:

I don't understand it either (don't know that expression). What was that sausage party supposed to be?

Kiseki
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2010, 11:27 am

AnnePande wrote:
Kaybee wrote:

I don't understand it either (don't know that expression). What was that sausage party supposed to be?

It means there were only dudes there and he just basically said "I'm gay."

Kaybee
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2010, 10:49 pm

Kiseki wrote:
AnnePande wrote:
Kaybee wrote:

It means there were only dudes there and he just basically said "I'm gay."

I'm a she, so it was quite the opposite of saying that I'm gay, but otherwise correct.

Corp900
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Oct 2010, 12:15 am

Corp900 is a legendary memer on this site, this is my aspie story.

There was a girl at mcdonals, african american girl, I was like heyyy shanntelll with a big smile,

I didnt know her tho, I was just tryn 2 hit on her, she acted all wierded out,

and I was acting like i knew her but really didnt, i took my food and left tho hoe 2 feel awkward by herself without me.