'Aspie' moment- funny things that have happened to you

Page 1 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

xemmaliex
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Oct 2010, 1:23 pm

Today I was on the school bus, when the (mean!) bus driver had to stop and pick up all the little ones from the lower school. he refused to let anyone on without a pass, and ended up throwing off 2 kids and and swearing at another. I thought this was horribly unfair, since it was blatantly obvious that we went to that school. Everyone started protesting and yelling, including me, for a bit.
A teacher came on the bus and started shouting, which sent me into a bout of rocking and moaning, then shouted "So why are you all shouting and yelling?!"
I didn't realise it was meant to be a rhetorical question. Everyone went silent, then I said blankly- "Because we want to get home on time, miss."
Teacher said "Well, shouting's not going to get you home!"
I said bluntly "No. It might make the bus driver do his job, though."
I ended up getting very told off...
Oh well. Since I'm not officially diagnosed, I can't say 'because I'm an aspie' but I can say that was a real aspie moment.

Does anyone else have any funny or typically aspie moments to share? Maybe a social miscalculation? Thought it would make a good thread.

happymusic
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2010, 1:31 pm

When I was in 9th grade I was in a really boring class and, as was my habit, I was staring out the window and wasn't listening. Apparently I wasn't the only one and the teacher got really upset (still, I hadn't yet realized) and in frustration she yelled at us "Well, what?! Do you all want to do something else then!?!". That caught my attention and I turned back to her and very enthusiastically and said excitedly "Oh yeah! Let's do something different!!". All the other kids turned to me with their mouths open in astonishment. She threw up her hands and stomped out of the classroom nearly in tears. I still didn't get it. The the others had to explain it to me. Oopsie.

Dr_Horrible
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Oct 2010, 1:35 pm

When I was little, I actually was quite sarcastic, ironic and had a self-depreciating style of humour which no one apart from some of the older teachers got. Anyway, my mom has told me that once when we went into a coffeeshop and I was like four years old, a lady in an expensive fur stood before us in line. Apparently, I got down on all four and started to bark like a dog while smiling at her fur.

She left the coffeeshop without saying anything.

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2010, 1:45 pm

Many years ago I had just seen Star Wars. I asked a coworker if she had seen it. It took a few minutes for me to realize that she thought I was asking her out to actually see go see it. So I went with it and took her to see Star Wars.

We celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary in 2008

DemonAbyss10
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2010, 1:47 pm

I know ive had moments, but id have to think about them to remember them. gimme a little bit and I will post one or two.

Yes, I do have a DeviantArt, it is at.... http://demonabyss10.deviantart.com/

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2010, 1:56 pm

happymusic wrote:
When I was in 9th grade I was in a really boring class and, as was my habit, I was staring out the window and wasn't listening. Apparently I wasn't the only one and the teacher got really upset (still, I hadn't yet realized) and in frustration she yelled at us "Well, what?! Do you all want to do something else then!?!". That caught my attention and I turned back to her and very enthusiastically and said excitedly "Oh yeah! Let's do something different!!". All the other kids turned to me with their mouths open in astonishment. She threw up her hands and stomped out of the classroom nearly in tears. I still didn't get it. The the others had to explain it to me. Oopsie.

:lol: I love the unbridled honesty.

happymusic
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2010, 2:07 pm

Moog wrote:
happymusic wrote:

:lol: I love the unbridled honesty.

*takes a bow* :)

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

11 Oct 2010, 2:18 pm

happymusic....I still dont get why she was upset with you

I have many aspie moments but some of my best moments are combined with the fact I am half deaf.

I have already told my tomato/tornado mix up on here...If you would like for me to tell it for those who have not heard it, let me know. It is really funny.

Other than that, I have the hardest time sometimes figuring out why people do things.
One time when I was 12, mom dressing a turkey for thanksgiving (and this account is told every thanksgiving ever since) Well I walked into the kitchen...looked at her in confusion, and said "why are you tying up that turkey...it is already dead" She laughed so hard, I think she may have peed her pants. She later told me you tie up a turkey, so it wont look obcene. ( I guess your turkey is not supposed to pose for playboy 8O )

happymusic
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2010, 2:33 pm

jojobean wrote:
happymusic....I still dont get why she was upset with you

All I heard was a bunch of noise and then all of a sudden the crystal clear question about us wanting to do something else. Apparently that question was preceded by her expressing her frustrations but I wasn't picking up on that. I was in my own little world. I guess she was upset because even though she was expressing her frustration, I still had no idea how she felt and took her literally.

Quote:
She later told me you tie up a turkey, so it wont look obcene. ( I guess your turkey is not supposed to pose for playboy 8O )

No way! Really? It's aesthetics? Huh. I didn't know that.

ocdgirl123
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2010, 3:36 pm

I was reading the ingredients of a chocolate bar on Tuesday and came across one that concerned me, "Chocolate Liquor". I called my mom asking her why she gave a chocolate bar with liquor in it. She laughed and told me that it didn't have any alcohol in it. (Which is what I thought). I took the ingredient kind of literally.

Omnicognic
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2010, 4:01 pm

Science was always my special interest. We got a new science teacher at out school and apparantly they hadn't warned him about me yet. On his second day he began to lecture about the current chapter of our science book. We were supposed to read the chapter the night before, I read the book cover to cover. As he spoke, he kept contrdicting certain sections of the book which i called him out on, citing the page/paragraph without opening my book. each time he would look it up and see i was correct which would apologise and continue.. the 3rd time this happened he left, and the next day had traded positions with an english teacher. This english teacher knew me quite well and warned me not to disrupt her class..

j0sh
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2010, 4:08 pm

During my AS assessment, I was discussing my past sexual experiences. The psychologist said "so, during these experiences, were you..." then she started shaking. I couldn't believe what I thought she was asking. It took a good minute to reply with "are you asking if I have a short fuse?" She responded, "no, I was asking if you were nervous".

I looked over at her a couple seconds later and could tell she was trying not to laugh. I guess she was testing my non-verbal communication and it backfired.

happymusic
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2010, 4:12 pm

j0sh wrote:
During my AS assessment, I was discussing my past sexual experiences. The psychologist said "so, during these experiences, were you..." then she started shaking. I couldn't believe what I thought she was asking. It took a good minute to reply with "are you asking if I have a short fuse?" She responded, "no, I was asking if you were nervous".

I looked over at her a couple seconds later and could tell she was trying not to laugh. I guess she was testing my non-verbal communication and it backfired.

Wow, i wouldn't have gotten that either. That's weird.

cmjust0
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

11 Oct 2010, 4:36 pm

I was in English one day, sophomore year of high school, listening to the teacher lecture. I was paying attention, but thinking back on that day, I was probably blank-staring or something... Everyone else was taking notes....I don't do notes. At some point, I started to notice that she was staring at me an awful lot and sorta started acting a little aggravated.

She stopped right in the middle of the lecture and told me to come out in the hall with her. I had no idea what was going on.. She got me into the hall and angrily asked why I wasn't taking notes. I explained to her that if I take notes, the information goes in my ear, out my pen, and that's the last I ever see of it. She goes on to say "Well, everyone else is taking notes."

After a few moments, I realize she's awaiting a response. I said..."Ok." I literally had no clue what else to say. :lol:

She got a little madder at what she perceived as snarkiness, then went on to say that I was making her look bad in front of the class by not taking notes. I really didn't know what to say....again. I'd already explained that I couldn't really do notes or I wouldn't learn the material, so -- in my discomfort -- I suggested a compromise:

"Well, how about if I just scribble while you talk, so that way it will *look* like I'm taking notes?"

To me, that was an ideal solution; I can still listen and not have to struggle with notes, and she can have the appearance of having effected some kind of change through a disciplinary hallway chat. Perfect, right?

She, on the other hand, DID NOT LIKE THAT IDEA AT ALL. :lol:

To her credit, however, I think she must have realized -- just before she was about to have a fit -- that I was totally sincere in my suggestion and meant nothing by it. That may have been the moment when she realized she had one who was "not like the others" in her classroom, and she pretty much left me alone after that. I did well in her class, too.

:D

There was another time in a Calculus class in college where a bunch of my brain wires hooked up all at once and my mind started going "Ooh ooh ooh!! If you can do THAT, then you can probably do THIS and THIS and THIS!" and I just had to know whether or not I was correct RIGHT THEN.. I raised my hand, was called on, and so I articulated the thought as calmly as I could.. I'm sure I was bubbling over in a super geeky way, though. :lol:

The instructor put her hands on her hips and grinned at me.. Immediately, I realized I was about to have yet another in a life-long string of "That guy's an alien" moments and could sloooooowly feel the collective gaze begin to focus directly on my head. I could feel my face kinda start getting a little warm, and the instructor said "Yeah, that's right -- but you don't need to know that for another few semesters."

Uhhh. Oh. 8O

Thing is, I normally consider myself to be really sucky at math. I guess that's why I was so excited. :lol:

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2010, 5:41 pm

I remember being in high school and I was in biology. Our teacher was telling us to use our safety goggles and he told us how he didn't let have his students use them and at the end of the day, Mr. E walked in the room and caught him with his pants down. I was shocked and wondered why he had them down than in the bathroom so I asked him why did he have them down. Kids laughed and my aid told and the girl who was sitting next to me told me it was a figure of speech.

I remember being seven and I was in class doing my school work. I was using Elmer's glue and I was making a smiley face on a piece of paper that had to be glued to my sheet. My teacher says "Okay Beth, you need to use glue stick" and I couldn't understand why she was telling me that. I ask her why and she said I was pounding it. I told her I was not and she said I was lying and I was pounding it. She took the glue away and gave me a glue stick and I was confused about the whole thing. To this day I still don't know what happened nor what she meant by "pounding," I took it literal then. I don't know if this is an AS moment or not.

I remember when I was eight, there was a new fad in my school where kids were saying "It was so funny I forgot to laugh" and I couldn't understand why they were saying it. Why don't you just laugh then if you forgot to laugh? Well I decided to say it anyway one day and I said it to my little brother and then my mom was yelling at me to apologize. I was very confused about why she was telling me to apologize and mom was asking me what I said and I told her I didn't say anything. My brother told her what I said and mom told me I said that and told me to apologize so I did. I saw my brother was crying and to this day I am not really sure what happened. I am thinking I maybe said it at the wrong time. After all he fell off the swing and I said that to him. I don't think I have used that fad ever since. I don't even know what that phrase even means. I am thinking now it's maybe sarcasm.

(I am sure some people here remember this one)
My husband is always saying I am cheap, my mom has called herself cheap too and me and my dad calls me cheap too. He even says my aunt and uncle are cheap because when things like family reunions or weddings happen outside of Wisconsin, they don't come. Well after I got married, I was at the house my parents rented and I was opening my wedding gifts. I open the one my aunt and uncle and my cousin got me even though they didn't come and I was surprised they still got us a present for our wedding. I take out the stuff they got us and I said they may be cheap but they aren't cheap enough to not get us a wedding present and everyone laughed. Mom then asks me who taught me to say that and I said my dad and mom goes "Bill, Bill" and he starts denying it.
Well what I didn't know was they laughing they were doing was the "I can't believe she said that" laugh and I just thought I said something funny and that was it. So I said it to them in my thank you card and it was a hard lesson to learn and then I learn after that my mom was using irony when she call herself cheap and when she was calling me cheap, it was totally different and my dad was just being mean when he said that about them. Mom told me lot of stuff he says is BS and his social skills are not good either. Well now I know cheap is an insult and it doesn't mean what I thought it meant because I never looked it up in a dictionary. I was going by how the word is used and repeating what my dad said.

I remember when I was little, I learned the words "stupid" "idiot" and "shut up" and mom told me those were bad words. I was not allowed to use them. Well I remembered that well because at age eight I learn another bad word, the f word so I say it and I get told it's a bad word. But when I start my new school i start saying it all the time and I had realized stupid wasn't a bad word nor dumb or idiot or shut up and my mom was wrong. So I stop listening to her about what are bad words and the f word just happened to be my favorite. It was very hard for my parents to get me to stop saying that word until my mom slapped my mouth. Later in life I figured out mom told me those words were bad so I wouldn't use them and that lie backfired a couple years later. But no mom told me those are bad words for little kids and I was a little kid then. I remember my shrink telling me in high school most kids forget they were told those are bad words but I took it so literal, I remembered. Then I didn't want to listen to my mother anymore about bad words since she was wrong. So she had to slap my mouth to get me to listen and I hated being slapped. So I only used words in school my mom considered bad but at home I wouldn't use them because she thought they were bad words. I did school behavior and home behavior.

I remember being in 6th grade and kids would be asking me questions and I would answer them and for some reason they get pissed off. I figured they got mad because I was being too nice. My school counselor told me a couple years later they were trying to upset me and I didn't get upset so they got mad.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2010, 6:30 pm

Once when I was a little kid, my little brother hit his head and got a huge bump on it. My mom called me over.
"Alex," she said. "Look what your brother did to his head!"
I thought this was an excellent time to show her a new word I learned. So I said:
"It's pretty gruesome."
My mother got angry and said:
"Don't you dare talk about your little brother that way!"
I was confused, because I thought she'd be proud of me for using a big word.

Another time, about 4 years ago, my Nana came to visit. On that particular day, she was going to meet my brother-in-law for the first time. My Nana has a crude sense of humor, you see, so I thought I'd make a joke of it. So when she met him, I introduced him by saying "here's the guy who got my sister knocked up!" Everyone was offended, but I was only trying to make them laugh...

Yet another time, I was complaining about my sister (yes, the same one from the previous story) and how she always borrowed my clothes and never returned them. My mom said, "Don't let her borrow anything then. Just tell her no."
About a day or two later, I was wearing a new shirt and my sister said, "That's a really nice new shirt."
I anticipated that she was about to ask to borrow it, so I told her, "Yeah. It's too bad you'll never get to wear it."
When my parents found out, they were absolutely furious with me. I was confused, because I thought they'd be proud of me for not letting her borrow my shirt. It literally took me years to realize that what I said was very rude.