Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

anandamide
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2006, 2:06 pm

I was wondering if fear of the dark is a common aspie fear. I am middle age and still afraid of the dark. I have to put the hall light on, otherwise I feel as though I am very vulnerable. I have experienced times when I've been sleeping in a someone else's house and then it is always a big problem because I have to figure out how to increase the light in the room where I sleep without the person discovering that I cannot sleep in a pitch black room. Also, if I do fall asleep in the dark I almost always wake up with a nightmare.

alexa232
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2006, 2:29 pm

I hate staying in other people's houses; I don't usually like the food they eat (very picky eater, had one of my temper tantrums when beeing forced to eat these discusting pancakes at a birthday party once. Some knives where tthrown, and then some forks, some kicking and screaming, folloowed by the breaking of the birthday girls' toys. Not so fond of birthday parties either.), I usually stay put in my room most of the time; not sure of what's the appropriate behaviour when in other people's homes. I also hate talking to people I'm not familiar with; such as distant relatives or something like that. (I'm actually quite uncomertable when talking with my gran as well)
Anyway, I don't seem to get any sleep when having to go to bed in a picth dark room. I usually sleep with my bedroom door open (love the humming of the television set when going to sleep; although when having a bad sensory day, this seems almost intolerable)
Afraid of the dark? I don't really know. About a year ago, I couldn't stand to be alone in a dark room. Now I seem to handle it a little better. Stress used to be a trigger for my anxiety. This, however, has changed a bit. Lately I've been experiencing agression as a result of stressful situations.
Quiet, dark rooms make me kind of restless and thoughtful. The humming of the tv makes it hard to think. So this usually calms me down.

Ruvil
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 May 2006, 2:45 pm

Yes, iam scared of the dark. About a year ago i couldnt even sleep without light in my room, now i just need the light in the hall. (i sleep with a open door so the light comes in)
But i dont really know why iam afraid of the dark..

Raph522
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2006, 2:53 pm

i am scared of the dark. so is my dad and he is in his 60's. My brothers are afraid, too. i always thought it was a family thing but i geuss it could be aspergers.

Mork
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

29 May 2006, 3:20 pm

I used to be really scared of the dark. I used to have terrible nightmares as well. I would never go into another room or go upstairs unless someone else did. It used to really freek me out.

I grew out of it as I got older, but occasionally get the jitters if I hear noises in the night!

Lupine_Ragdoll
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 May 2006, 4:35 pm

When I was younger, I used to be terrified of sleeping in the dark. However, that changed when I went to Ibiza with my family, and my apartment room had no light except for the window. Since one of my other sisters slept in the lounge, if I wanted privacy and quiet (I can't stand sleeping where others can see me, or where I can hear them) I had to shut the door, so from there I had to cope with the dark, and found that I can actually see pretty well in the dark (the only real difference for me is that in dark, everything's in black and white instead of colour). Now I can't sleep unless it's dark in my room, although when I turn off the lights downstairs before heading up to bed, I still feel scared in the dark then.

As for sleepovers, I still don't like them, although now that I'm okay with the dark I'm a bit better with them. I prefer staying at home though, and even hotels are a real pain for me. I just feel so weird staying anywhere other than my own bed. :?

Help revive ReBoot!

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2006, 1:44 am

I think it's a common fear for all types of people. I wouldn't say i'm afraid of the dark, but i'm afraid of what lurks in the dark, aka fear of the unknown.

phoenixjsu
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2006, 2:14 am

I'm very much not afraid of the dark. I have no problem going out into a pitch black area at night. I like the dark. :D

paulsinnerchild
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2006, 2:22 am

I am still a little bit afraid of the dark, but before my teenage years I was extremely afraid of the dark and I use to run and make stange croaking noises with my throat as inhaled air through it in very slow long inhaling breaths at a time, especially outdoors. I was terrified!

Paul

Last edited by paulsinnerchild on 30 May 2006, 3:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

trapped
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 May 2006, 2:35 am

I've never really been afraid of the dark. Only a few times, right after watching certain movies (the Exorcist was one of them) have I ever been afraid of the dark, and I saw that movie when I was 10.

Even movies don't make me scared of the dark nowadays.

sweetpraline
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

30 May 2006, 11:07 am

I slept with a night light until I was 13. Even now as an adult I always sleep with the bathroom light on.

Aeturnus
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2006, 5:03 pm

I'm not wild about sleeping in the dark, though I could, but I prefer not to, for some reason. But, I am definitely not afraid of the dark.

I tend to like the night. It's far less crowded and much quieter. I have been known to grocery shop at night, and I like to drive at night. I stay up real late as it is.

- Ray M -

drummer_girl
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 May 2006, 2:10 pm

some times im afraid of the dark.... when i was little i liked the hal light on with my bedroom door open and didnt like complete darkness.
now i can stand darkness in my room, but now still if i got out of bed in the night to go to the bathroom, i run through the landing and close the bathroom door... i imagine theres some monster in the landing that will get me in 3 seconds of me entering the landing at night, so i run and close the bath room door behind me. same goes for returning to my bedroom.
im 21

paulsinnerchild
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2006, 11:01 pm

Indoor darkness at home does not bother me now, but outdoor darkness and darkness in strange places like deserted houses, factories tunnels and caves etc makes my totally paranoid.

Paul

HappyPaul
Raven
Raven

01 Jun 2006, 12:03 pm

I was quite afraid of the dark until my teenage years. One of my longer lasting obsessions during childhood was with electricity and I have this vague memory of going to bed with flashlight bulbs, batteries and bits of wire. Seems pretty funny in retrospect.

jammie
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Jun 2006, 12:08 pm

I am 16 and i still sleep with a nightlight, i also just recently got myself a tomy dreamshow nightlight, i have found this has heklped me slep incredibly well.

I have always been scared by the dark, but it is significantly less scary when lion is able to protect me.

jammie

$lion = "constant";
$lil_lion = "escape";
$baby = "dum dum, babo";
$jammie = $lion."sheepy and my comforts";

$jamie = $lion.$lil_lion.$baby.$jammie;
?>