Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

hadapurpura
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2006, 9:26 pm

For me, it's the opposite: I love dark, actually I feel more comfortable in the dark.

Belfast
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2006, 11:14 pm

Am afraid of the dark but also like it sometimes, depending on further variables.
Needed nightlight (or lamp on in nearby room) as a kid-insisted on it ! Prefer to have low-level illumination on all night, still. If I'm in a certain mood, though, I like to turn out the lights & look out the windows at the sky. Streetlights mean it's not pitch black outside, of course. Total darkness is too devoid of cues for me to orient myself, and I imagine all sorts of icky dangerous things that I cannot see to avoid. Exception is that sex is much better for me with lights out, improves my ability to concentrate on sensations instead of thinking about unpleasant distractions. I'm a night owl more than a daytime person, and prefer to shop in middle of night, when store not crowded w/people. Need sunlight to keep my spirits up, but feel mentally more alert & secure at night. Go figure.
Balance between seeing too much and not being able to see enough-same problem w/other sensory modes-finding the comfort zone for each...

Maeko
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2011, 11:35 pm

I used to be when I was little. I had a nightlight plugged into a wall in my room.
My sister would torture me with scary stories at night, so I developed a fear of darkness for a while.

Artros
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2011, 4:00 am

I used to be very scared of the dark and still dislike it (whenever I go to the toilet and go back to my dark room and get in bed, I'm always afraid there's going to be someone else in it), but I've found that I cannot possibly sleep with any light on, so I deal with it.

SQ: 72/80 (Extreme Synthesiser)
Aspie test: about 150/200 Aspie, about 40/200 NT

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2011, 5:26 am

i too actually like the dark, the only problem is that your hearing gets more accute, which isn't nice in a new situation.
however, the "dark" doesn't really exist for me, my vision is so strong that, if i focus, i can see enough to not walk into things nearly everywhere. i can make a sandwich in a lightsource that is so weak that my housemates dont even see the source itself.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2011, 5:48 am

Mostly I like the dark, but occasionally I can feel slightly spooked by it. On my way to bed I might get the impression that something evil is lurking in the shadows. But it's never been intense enough to make me go back downstairs or put the light on. I also used to notice that if I'm smoking then I don't feel that fear at all. Don't know whether that's the comfort or the psychological association between smoking and being grown up...if fear of the dark is an echo of childhood, that might make sense.

piroflip
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Aug 2011, 8:08 am

I'm not afraid of the dark at all.
In the past I've fished at night with a Quaker grave yard just a few yards behind me.