Page 1 of 5 [ 80 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

GreySun369
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2010, 1:46 pm

I'm sure everyone has had a fascination with mythical beings rather they were read in a storybook or seen in a video game. There's all kinds of beautiful creatures that people once believed in a long time ago like dragons, unicorns, mermaids, fairies, etc. While very few people still believe in them, they still live on through books, art, games, and TV.

Anyways on this topic talk about your favorite mythical beings, and if possible post a picture of them and tell a little bit about them and why they are your favorite. :)

My favorite creature is the Succubus. They're beautiful female demons in European Mythology who have bat wings and sometimes tails, horns, claws, or all of the above. But they're mostly shown with bat wings. Succubi have a unique method of feeding on the life force of mortal men through sexual intercourse. They often appear in dreams and take any form they want to seduce a man, and after their "visit" they leave the man dead and give birth to new baby demons.

I think Succubi are very beautiful though very evil and dark, and the way that they can change form to trick mortals is kind of cool. They also wear such awesome outfits in the modern artworks for games like Castlevania and World of Warcraft.

Here's an arkwork of a Succubus from the game Castlevania. I love how she holds a thorny rose in her hand.

[img][800:900]http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/n534/SesameChickenLover/CastlevaniaSuccubusArt1.jpg[/img]

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2010, 1:56 pm

Mermaids, I used to be obsessed with them as a kid. They've always remained my favourite mythical creature to this day.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2010, 2:03 pm

I love the Succubus too, as well as her male counterpart, the Incubus.

I also like mermaids and fairies a lot. One of my best drawings to date is of Alice from the 2010 Alice in Wonderland movie depicted as a nude fairy.

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2010, 2:18 pm

IdahoRose wrote:

I also like mermaids and fairies a lot. One of my best drawings to date is of Alice from the 2010 Alice in Wonderland movie depicted as a nude fairy.

Oh yes fairies too! They're my second favourite, I've got a shelf full of fairy figures. I like drawing nude fairies, then again I have a thing for nude art in general, not in a pervy way though I just like how it looks.

GreySun369
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2010, 2:24 pm

IdahoRose wrote:
I love the Succubus too, as well as her male counterpart, the Incubus.

Yeah Incubi are also cool, too bad they don't appear in the media as much as their Succubi sisters.

KyleTheGhost
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2010, 2:32 pm

Dragons, unicorns, and centaurs are intriguing.

Tomasu
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2010, 2:35 pm

^^Yaye thankee for posting this lovely topic GreySun369.

I believe all mythical creatures are very lovely. However, I do hope this is alrighty I have listed some below that enjoy visiting me often:

Pixies
Fairies
Soot Sprites
Goblins
Trolls
Tanuki

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2010, 2:47 pm

I like mermaids and fairies and goddesses - although I like pretty much all mythological creatures.

GreySun369
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2010, 2:53 pm

Oh and in addition to Succubi I also have a thing for Sirens, and I mean the REAL Sirens who are bird-like, not those mermaid wannabes.

Sirens are really cool and I love the fact that they lure sailors to their doom with their enchanted songs. I guess the mythical monsters I favor the most are the ones who seduce mortals to their doom with their beauty. :P

slovaksiren
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2010, 3:49 pm

I like valkyries for my mythical beings, but if you want a monster...

That would definitely be the Lindworm. They are a type of dragon of Germanic myth and it has a long body with wings and is venomous. Fafnir from the legend of Sigurd in Nordic myth is probably the most famous of lindworms.

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2010, 4:54 pm

For the werewolf,
The werewolf,
Have sympathy.
For the werewolf is someone,
Just like you and me.

Slovaksiren - have you read Rumo and/or The City of Dreaming Books? :)

The year is still young.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2010, 6:13 pm

MONKEY wrote:
IdahoRose wrote:

Oh yes fairies too! They're my second favourite, I've got a shelf full of fairy figures. I like drawing nude fairies, then again I have a thing for nude art in general, not in a pervy way though I just like how it looks.

You should post pictures of your fairy figure collection! I'd love to see it. :D I think nudity is beautiful, and can be artistic when created with a mature and tasteful attitude rather than a crude one. For example, many of Michelangelo's paintings and sculptures are nude, but no one calls them perverted because they were done in a mature and tasteful manner. I try to achieve the same effect whenever I depict nudity in my drawings.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2010, 6:19 pm

I would have to say Tolkien's dwarves intrigue me the most. Their whole society is fascinating. I'm kind of sad that he never got a chance to write about them nearly as much as the elves.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

RaceDrv709
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2010, 6:20 pm

Dragons. Nuff said.

markitzero
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2010, 6:21 pm

I am more into Dragons then anything else.

Dr_Horrible
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Oct 2010, 5:05 am

I generally like things from the Hellenic mythology, so I would go for the Hydra.