Page 3 of 4 [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

KissOfMarmaladeSky
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2010, 1:44 pm

I've actually dealt with that kind of situation before. My fifth grade teacher not only let the kids in my class bully me, but she harrassed me as well.

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2010, 3:02 pm

"They" can and do allow us to be bullied and are therefore implicity condoning bullying. To ignore one who is bullying another, to passively watch it occur, is an act of cowardice.

Primarily I think it's due to 'the path of least resistance' where it's simpy easier to 'look the other way' although an innocent is being slaughtered. Plus, if the one being bullied is an Aspie (or other ASD) "they" can regard us as lesser, or at least not worthy of the respect that other members of our society are due. To exclude is far easier than taking the time/effort to act truthfully.

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2010, 5:12 pm

Well I'm happy to say that the original allegation is completely unfounded, at least where I work. I have never seen bullying of any kind condoned in any degree by any member of staff. :roll:

The year is still young.

Clyde
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Oct 2010, 6:06 pm

Asp-Z wrote:
Clyde wrote:
happymusic wrote:
I'm a teacher at a large high school.....*snip*

I mean no offense, and maybe this is due to my past, but I don't believe one word you say. I have heard enough of those words told to me by teachers about how they care for the underdog, how they hate bullying. Yet none of them actually helped me. I don't believe one word of you saying you love your nerds and hate bullying.

There are good teachers out there. I was bullied in year 7 so I told the head of year, and she helped a LOT. She put me in a room away from normal classes for the day until she sorted the bully out, then she found the bully and made sure he behaved, then she rung his parents and told them everything - because of it, his parents refused to get him the PS3 he wanted. Hell, the next day, he even came and apologised to me, then he left me the f**k alone.

That never happened to me in their minds:

-Either I was the subject of the problem, blame the victim basically

-Or they went with what majority said because I was only one person with a "problem" and somehow they don't think one person can be bullied by a group

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2010, 6:40 pm

LabPet wrote:
Primarily I think it's due to 'the path of least resistance' where it's simpy easier to 'look the other way'

I think that's it.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2010, 4:01 am

Clyde wrote:
Asp-Z wrote:
Clyde wrote:
happymusic wrote:
I'm a teacher at a large high school.....*snip*

I mean no offense, and maybe this is due to my past, but I don't believe one word you say. I have heard enough of those words told to me by teachers about how they care for the underdog, how they hate bullying. Yet none of them actually helped me. I don't believe one word of you saying you love your nerds and hate bullying.

There are good teachers out there. I was bullied in year 7 so I told the head of year, and she helped a LOT. She put me in a room away from normal classes for the day until she sorted the bully out, then she found the bully and made sure he behaved, then she rung his parents and told them everything - because of it, his parents refused to get him the PS3 he wanted. Hell, the next day, he even came and apologised to me, then he left me the f**k alone.

That never happened to me in their minds:

-Either I was the subject of the problem, blame the victim basically

-Or they went with what majority said because I was only one person with a "problem" and somehow they don't think one person can be bullied by a group

I didn't say anything about your teachers, I can't since I don't know them. I'm just saying there are good ones out there.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2010, 7:16 am

FireMinstrel wrote:
I was reading a blog about bullying, and it seemed to make a good point: the reason why bullies get away with what they do is because the people in charge also want to see the "undesirables" driven away. Those who make their school look bad because they're ugly/learning disabled/gay/whatever.
How can people fight something that's not even spoken about? I want to know that Columbine, South Hadley, and other incidents like that didn't happen in vain.

While I do think that is sometimes the case, I don't think that is always the case. In fact, I don't think that is the case in most instances.

In most instances the adults fail to respond because they do not comprehend the severity of the situation or the effect is had on the individual (who lacks empathy now?).

They have a "kids will be kids" type take on it. They don't realize these children who are bullied are in an environment completely hostile towards them, where they are harassed and physically assaulted constantly. Adults are used to being respected as a human being by the majority of people they come into contact with, and they forget how horrible children can be to eachother.

I witnessed a boy get bullied at my school once. Every day despite his diplomatic efforts he was constantly harassed and made the butt of joke. One day in class he eventually just broke down in tears, and the teacher took him aside to talk to him and I overheard the conversation and she was just telling him to ignore it. But she left the campus at lunch time and didn't know the extent of what went on.

I was the one who ended up stopping it because I knew the head bully and I knew he was really a complete loser who the rest were just following because they thought he was "the man" and every time he made a negative comment to the kid I revealed to his "posse" a little more of who he really was, and he shut up fast when he realized his "posse" found what I had to say about him more entertaining than what he had to say about the kid they had been bullying.

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2010, 7:24 am

I was bullied horribly at school. Usually the advice I was sometimes given to "walk away" or "ignore them" doesn't work.

Aspiezone
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Oct 2010, 12:40 pm

I fought back at bullies in school because

A) They deserved it
B) Even if I did get in trouble, suspension was like a reward to me. I never looked at it as a punishment to go home and play video games.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2010, 12:43 pm

Well done to anyone who faught back against their bullies. Here's a related music video.

[YouTube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KV2ssT8lzj8[/YouTube]

ADHDorASDorBoth
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Oct 2010, 5:55 pm

Well, what teacher is going to bother to get involved with all of the hassle of dealing with 1 bully let alone groups?

Bullies have parents, sometimes and I wonder how often, they are just as bad.
If teachers' think the same way, then dealing with the bully's parents will be pure aggro.

So, why bother eh?

The reasoning above, does not mean that it's right at all to let it happen.

However, I expect that most teachers' are teaching because they are not exactly tough people apart from when they are talking tough to kids, which is something I experienced at my lovely catholic school in England. It was great, really. Drug talk, gang fights, teachers losing control and shouting at the top of their voices. Wow, it's lucky that corporal discipline was banned otherwise the "punished" children would be whacking their kids nowadays, because that's a really sensible way to raise and educate kids after all :roll:
Bullying exists by default in government, policing etc.
The weakest are picked on.

Speeding ticket for 5 miles over speed limit in a safe road, whilst some old person being mugged......and so on..

Best example I can think of
Banks - doing very nicely.
peasants - every not connected - doing terribly

Not a word about naughty banks that I'm aware of, but wow, don't ever think about a peaceful protest or you'll be in trouble.

:roll:

Heliobacter20
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

17 Oct 2010, 7:10 am

This is why the teachers would yell at me for gettign bullied. It's easy to understand how atrociities are commited, people are just animals with the instinct to kill the weak of the herd whatever they percieve "weak" to be. I don't think it's even thought out conciously, more of just a instinctual reaction to attack anything they sense as different.

ADHDorASDorBoth
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Oct 2010, 7:27 am

Also, I forgot to mention that it is technically the duty of police and justice courts to uphold the law against assault, which bullying effectively is.

Whilst the police and justice system don't have a priority on that, it means that the teachers will always feel they have no backing whatsoever.
Whilst they feel that they are powerless, regardless of how tough they are, then nothing will change.

I think that personality/ego/etc disorders show quite clearly in those who are very enabled to get involved without much trouble, but don't.
So, whilst the police swagger around looking hard with the body armour, pepper spray, random taser thoughts, nightstick, radio backup, they will only get involved if someone disses them. Just another bully.
It's only going to be a small percentage, but if one group leader is a swine, then most of the police under his command are hardly likely to speak up.
There are many examples in other systems.

I don't agree that everyone is naturally the same. It's just their weakness that allows bullies to get away with what they've done for.ever.