Page 2 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Do you take prescriptions?
Yes, to control undesirable aspects of AS/ASD & it helps 18%  18%  [ 9 ]
Yes, for a comorbid or physical condition (or other, but what is there) 54%  54%  [ 27 ]
Sometimes but not on a regular basis 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Used to, but stopped needing, or stopped wanting to 12%  12%  [ 6 ]
Would be better of taking meds, but can not afford it financially 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Can not handle the side effects 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Other (?) 12%  12%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 50

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2010, 1:21 pm

I voted for other, being "no". Though I have been prescribed things in the past, none of them had anything to do with autism.

Hermier wrote:
Can polls be edited?

They can until someone else posts on the thread.

MizLiz wrote:
What is it about doctors and being really, really paranoid about giving you the appropriate pain medication... when you have cancer?

Well I know they have to be careful, because a lot of drugs can cause liver damage, so they try to minimize that as much as possible. They also have to make sure it's not interfering with your current medication...and then you have to take four more pills to try to alleviate the side-effects of the pills you were already taking =) And sometimes they have to switch to something else if your insurance plan won't cover certain meds =(

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2010, 1:22 pm

I got an asthma inhaler, but I don't take anything for my Asperger's or any conditions related to it.

MizLiz
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2010, 2:42 pm

Liver damage doesn't become an issue unless you're taking 4g of APAP a day. That would be 12 percocet.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2010, 12:21 pm

Well I don't know your specifics, but I know they took a lot of precautions with me.

Autumnsteps
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Oct 2010, 1:17 pm

I have an asthma inhaler and sometimes have to take allergy meds as otherwise my chest gets really bad. I occasionally take painkillers but tend to avoid them. I have an ear condition that means I get infections easily and I take cocodamal when I do as nothing else kills the pain, it's like nothing I have ever felt before and I've given birth three times! And then I have to have anti-biotics

Omnicognic
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2010, 3:09 pm

MizLiz wrote:
What is it about doctors and being really, really paranoid about giving you the appropriate pain medication... when you have cancer? Every single one I've met like that has been busted for being a pillpopper/distributor.

Around here they have been conducting sting operations busting doctors for writing bogus presriptions, many of those arrested had their cases tossed out due to the fact the undercover agents lied and quoted symptoms of severe pain.. all these doctors were guilty of was believing the patients and not sending them out for a dozen tests before giving them relief.

I myself at one point suffered from chronic and severe pain brought on by a birth defect in my lower spine which caused one of my vertebra to be open with spurs that the nerves would roll over and get stuck outside the channel. I took enough Dilaudid to kill a horse for years.. I later learned some drug free pain management techniques and it seldom bothers me now.