Page 1 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

dreamwalker
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 Oct 2010, 1:40 pm

Well... the reason for me to open this topic is this:
I have reasons to believe that I have female aspergers because of the many symptoms I show, but I'm very chaotic. However, I do show very particular tidyness in some cases - e.g. I "cut" a serviette in half simply by folding it the same way for years. When my parents set the table I usually correct the position of the plates and cutlery because it is untidy. I'm very sure that one of our round table cloths is actually a slight ellipse, because no matter what I do the part of the table cloth hanging from the table is always a little longer on one side than on another one.

So... the questions I'd like to know, even though these might seem strange: Does aspergers always imply that you're tidy? Or can an asperger also be chaotic?

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2010, 1:43 pm

I am not tidy at all. And the more intensely focused I become the more everything around me, except that thing, becomes increasingly chaotic.

squonk
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2010, 1:44 pm

I am meticulous and organized in every other sense than "tidy" meaning clothes, housework, whatever, I think that's just it though, that's the factor, NT's maybe would be either completely tidy overall or the opposite, not in between, hope that makes sense.

roseblood
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Oct 2010, 1:52 pm

Executive functioning is poor for most people with an ASD and the co-morbidity rate with AD/HD very high, so it's quite common to be untidy, frequently late etc., despite not wanting to be. Obsessive-compulsive tendencies as you describe I believe are ways of compensating psychologically for the sense of chaos and lack of control that poor executive functioning leaves you with.

PaleBlueDotty
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

15 Oct 2010, 1:59 pm

You can be both! Well, I am, :D.

I came across this website a few days ago and it describes exactly what you are asking about, :wink: .

http://www.jelibean.org.uk/v4/people-a- ... ome-visits

OddFiction
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2010, 2:28 pm

My entire apartment is organized extremely well -
Things are piled and stuffed and tossed in places based on when I last used them :P

:bounce:

I do have certain spots that I try to keep clean, and I'm very meticulous about cleanliness in cooking. Etc. It's the rest of the house that is project layered on project. I've often thought of running a garbage truck through my home, but there's so much good stuff here.... And besides. Big noisy truck would scare my [pride of] pet chinchillas. They actually live cleaner than I do :P

By simply doing what they are designed to do something large and magnificient happens. In this sense they show us how to live; The only barometer you have is your heart. When you spot your flower, you can't let anything get in your way. - John Laroche

ilivinamushroom
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Oct 2010, 2:53 pm

roseblood wrote:
Executive functioning is poor for most people with an ASD and the co-morbidity rate with AD/HD very high, so it's quite common to be untidy, frequently late etc., despite not wanting to be. Obsessive-compulsive tendencies as you describe I believe are ways of compensating psychologically for the sense of chaos and lack of control that poor executive functioning leaves you with.

This is so true, I have OCD and aspergers parts of my house are perfectly arranged to make up for the overall horrendous chaos. I seem to not be able to prioritize, I freak if anyone touches the few things I am able to keep tidy and tune out the rest.

Jeyradan
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Oct 2010, 4:02 pm

Either, both, neither... it all depends on your particular Asperger's style.

Personally, I prefer that everything be in place - whether that means cleanliness, neatness, tidiness, organization, however you want to define it. I very much dislike chaos.

However, when I was younger, I absolutely loved neatness - putting everything in categories, lining things up neatly, sorting things and putting them in order, straightening out small things like drawers or countertops - but I couldn't stand to clean (and by this, I mean large things like an entire room). My whole room could be covered in papers, and I would spend hours sitting in the middle of it meticulously sorting a desk tray.
I'm pretty sure that I just got overwhelmed by the magnitude of the task and the planning (well beyond me at the time) required to orchestrate such a cleaning, and so I defaulted to my tiny, controllable organizational tasks. Nowadays, I recognize that this still happens if I let things get away from me (I'm a graduate student, so don't always have time to take care of every household task immediately), but since I know how overwhelmed I get by clutter and things out of place, I neaten and clean everything as soon as humanly possible.

Squirrelrat
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Oct 2010, 4:08 pm

I'm a diagnosed aspie and I'm also a slob! :D I do like to sort things, though, and when I stack things, I have to do it perfectly.

Omnicognic
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2010, 4:10 pm

I'm working on my chaos problem, my house always looked like the aftermath of a disaster film.. with one exception: I cannot stand anything on my bed besides the bed clothes (sheets, blankets etc.) and the pillows. Anything else left on the bed causes me a great deal of distress/anger.

dreamwalker
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 Oct 2010, 4:35 pm

Okay... thanks. I did quite some research on aspergers, but most of the discriptions sound pretty much like "all aspergers are extremely tidy", so I got confused...

Only now that I cannot deny that my life opposes about anything typical for my age in a very asperger way I finally bothered to ask ^^ So that's settled then.

But I think that this can still be a general thread for anyhing regarding this subject...

meaningless
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Oct 2010, 4:52 pm

In some ways I'm very tidy but in some ways I don't care. I'll have a mess of books and old schoolwork, assorted random stuff etc. in a pile in the corner of my room and be fine with it, but I can't not sort my DVD collection alphabetically or my bookshelf by how tall the books are from largest to smallest...

mikey1138
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

15 Oct 2010, 5:07 pm

meaningless wrote:
In some ways I'm very tidy but in some ways I don't care. I'll have a mess of books and old schoolwork, assorted random stuff etc. in a pile in the corner of my room and be fine with it, but I can't not sort my DVD collection alphabetically or my bookshelf by how tall the books are from largest to smallest...

I go largest to smallest as well!

Kaybee
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2010, 6:00 pm

I'm relatively tidy, but it feels like it takes a lot of self-discipline for me to be so.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2010, 6:00 pm

I have to go through great efforts to keep my apartment tidy and clean, but I manage.

gramirez
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2010, 7:47 pm

I am the opposite of tidy.