Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

CaptainShenaniganz
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 Oct 2010, 7:30 pm

As to give an introduction to this subject, I am 17 years of age, and female. I was born and raised in a family where high intelligence is fairly prominent. As a child (6-9) I had been the subject of bullying (mostly due to my substandard hair coloring and the fact I was very slight. Even for my age, I looked frail and I still do, but I cannot control this as I naturally have a very small frame.)

I was then homeschooled for a couple years. A few months into this I was diagnosed with Asperger Syndrome and soon after OCD and anxiety, after suddenly appearing distant and shy. Back then, I had little to no friends, due to being homeschooled. As a child, I thought little of this 'Asperger Syndrome'. I then began to research the subject. A few of the symptoms had applied to me. However my councillor was very surprised to see that I could maintain eye contact very easily. I also have a very poor memory and a typically short attention span and amongst sarcasam, I can detect very easily - even if it is written in words.

Most of my Asperger friends usually cannot do any of this. My social issues aren't from the fact I don't know I'm offending anyone - I'll say something and immediately know that what I said was offensive and the reasons why. But it just comes out on impulse - thus, I butt into conversations, say silly things, when I didn't mean to. Distraction and focusing problems have became a big problem with me. I find it relatively hard to sit down without moving in some way or form, and find nonstimulating activities very boring (most Aspies I know can read books without quitting a quarter way in, have the attention span to read manuals, etc) meanwhile I find it very hard to do these activities because I get bored extremely easily. And find it difficult to focus on things people typically find boring. I have a wide array of interests (not just one.

I usually cannot relate to most with Asperger's, and in fact, most people I have met with the condition are some of my worst enemies. They'd have a go at me for making prolonged eye contact with them. Or initiating a usual conversation with them. Another example is (any Aspies reading this, please don't get offended because I know this may offend some or those with relatives with Asperger's but I have heard this a lot on the media) I don't have any particular 'morbid' interests. Sure, I watch the occasional Stephen King movie, but I know that it is fiction. I do not intend on acting those scenes out in real life. I actually have a knife/blood/weapon phobia and think killing is wrong and I am a pacifist by heart. My voice is only monotone when I'm tired. My voice usually (allthough high) has tone in it, unlike most I know with the condition. And I can empatize very easily with others.

A girl I once knew with the condition was shocked when I had told her I apparently had the condition. Stating that she did not pick up any symptoms of it in me. Whilst everyone else I knew with it clearly did. Another reason I think I'm actually ADHD is the fact caffeine consumption relaxes me, and with it - I can socialize very easily, because the impulsivity is eased and my mind is not going at 1000 RPM and can think through my responses - clearly.

Any input would be greatly appreciated! :D

PangeLingua
Toucan
Toucan

17 Oct 2010, 7:46 pm

People with Asperger's Syndrome often have ADHD or ADD. Where did you get the idea that interests must be morbid? :? That's not in the diagnostic criteria anywhere. Do you have intense interests?

CaptainShenaniganz
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 Oct 2010, 7:56 pm

As a child I used to indulge in intense interests due to isolation. Nowadays, my interests are wide and spaced out. I wouldn't have an obsessive interest (where I MUST be studying that interest day and night, thinking nothing else but that. Like this boy I knew at my old school who seemed very into Star Wars/Star Trek.) My interests typically include Celebrities, Psychology, Computers, Astronomy, History, English, Art etc. I have dozens more but those are amongst a few examples. When I'm talking to my friends, I shall take part in what THEY are talking about. Not some random conversation that is about my own interests if they are not interested in them, unless it is with a friend who wants to talk about a particular interest.

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2010, 8:16 pm

Being gifted can be misdiagnosed for Asperger's. If you're from a family of high intellect that is a possibility. It is even shown that people with high intellect will often have mild sensory issues and such like problems with clothing tags -- but people with Asperger's usually have more severe social and sensory issues. ADHD is also something that can be misdiagnosed with it -- people with ADHD often have poorer social skills than others.

If you don't think the label applies to you or you don't need services I would just ignore it. Abnormal eye contact is one of those things that is almost always present with autistics-- either intense, abnormal eye contact or little to no eye contact. Asperger's also encompasses repetitive interests, routines, and behaviour.

ETA: People with Asperger's will almost always feel different. I've heard it described as being trapped in a glass box, constant cultural shock, never understanding people, etc. Even if you did make eye contact it would be a LEARNED behaviour and would not come naturally to you. If such things come naturally, it is probably not Asperger's Syndrome. But remember it is a spectrum, and there are people in the middle.

Last edited by buryuntime on 17 Oct 2010, 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PangeLingua
Toucan
Toucan

17 Oct 2010, 8:27 pm

CaptainShenaniganz wrote:
As a child I used to indulge in intense interests due to isolation. Nowadays, my interests are wide and spaced out. I wouldn't have an obsessive interest (where I MUST be studying that interest day and night, thinking nothing else but that. Like this boy I knew at my old school who seemed very into Star Wars/Star Trek.) My interests typically include Celebrities, Psychology, Computers, Astronomy, History, English, Art etc. I have dozens more but those are amongst a few examples. When I'm talking to my friends, I shall take part in what THEY are talking about. Not some random conversation that is about my own interests if they are not interested in them, unless it is with a friend who wants to talk about a particular interest.

From this, it does sound like you probably don't have it. But I am not a doctor.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2010, 10:47 pm

Quote:
I don't have any particular 'morbid' interests. Sure, I watch the occasional Stephen King movie, but I know that it is fiction. I do not intend on acting those scenes out in real life. I actually have a knife/blood/weapon phobia and think killing is wrong and I am a pacifist by heart. My voice is only monotone when I'm tired. My voice usually (allthough high) has tone in it, unlike most I know with the condition. And I can empatize very easily with others.
Uhh... I don't know where you've been getting your info on AS, but there's nothing about autism that would make you disagree with the idea that killing is wrong or enjoy "morbid" things. Plenty of us are pacifists (of course there are those of us who like horror movies/books but no more than typical people). And while we don't intuitively copy others' emotions in their presence, we have as much compassion as anyone else. Are you confusing autism with being a psychopath?... 'Cause they're totally unrelated.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com