5 Most Underrated Film Sequels of All-Time

Page 1 of 4 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

JML101582
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2010, 9:23 pm

5. The Matrix Revoultions (2003)--The last of the Matrix films, but it has been widely ignored ever since the last Matrix film which was a debacle by the way. Plus, it ends the series on a high note! Sure it's not as legendary as the first film, but it's helluva alot better than the second one. That's for sure!

4. The Karate Kid Part II (1986)--It's real hard follow the greatest coming of age karate tale of all-time, but this one is different from the other films of the series because it doesn't end in a tournament. It ends with Daniel fighting against rival from Okwanina named Chozen. I will give this film credit it didn't go into predictable route like the third film (that was really more of a remake than a sequel in my book). That was also the last REAL Karate Kid sequel.

3. Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen (2009)--Despite the fact that this film was one of the highest grossing films of 2009, it's also one of the worst reviewed films of that year. It's not as fun as the first, but it's not supposed to be like The Empire Strikes Back or anything. I still think it's a very good follow up to the 2007 original film. If you don't take this film seriously, it's just as fun (if not better) than the original film.

2. Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome (1985)--Most people couldn't take the film seriously because of Tina Turner's Auntie Enity character. I thought she did a great job portraying a villianous vixen who put Mad Max through hell into the Thunderdome against the dominant Master Blaster. Plus, it was heavily criticized for putting too many children in the film. It was annoying but they were very helpful with Max the same way Ewoks annoyed me but they were helpful with the Rebels in their victory. Not as good as The Road Warrior, but it's still a very good Mad Max film.

and #1 Most Underrated Sequel of All-Time:

Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey (1991)--Yeah, I mentioned that last week on my honorable mentions list for best sequels, but alot of people weren't impressed with the follow-up to the 1989 flick with Bill and Ted going on a different kind of adventure...the afterlife as their evil robotic look-a-likes took their lives and girlfriends in a short period until the Grim Reaper helped the boys out of getting their life together and reforming the Wyld Stallyns (that's the actual band's name, no typo there) just in time for their Battle of the Bands concert. Not as good as the first, but it's alot funnier, darker, and more subtle than you can possibly imagine for a sequel.

HONORABLE MENTION: Back to the Future Part III (1990)--While the first two films are classic, this film is considered the black sleep of the trilogy for its Western overtones (they're in 1885) and romance with Doc Brown and Claire. I have to admit when I was a kid I was bored with this film because it was not like the first two films and I wasn't into westerns or romance at the time. Although I now like the western element, I still didn't care for the relationship between Brown and Claire (I mean Doc isn't supposed to be in love, he's a friggin' mad scientist). It was a great ending to a great trilogy.

tb86
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2010, 11:21 am

When you say underated do you mean good movies or bad :?:

raisedbyignorance
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2010, 1:51 pm

Home Alone 2 - this film got a lot of negativity for being repetitive and similar to the original but I thought that's what made it good. In fact I think this is one of the few sequels IMO that can pull off being a repeat of the original quite brilliantly.

Father of the Bride pt II - same could be said for this film. It deserves a lot of credit though because all the same cast and crew came back for this one and it made it just as fun and heartwarming as the original.

And do I dare bring Disney video sequels into this? Yes I do.

Lion King 2: Simba's Pride - not a unique Disney sequels but it was dark and dramatic for what it was

Lion King 1 1/2 - a pretty funny spinoff that takes the original film and put a spin on it

Bambi 2 - For a sequel that 60 years ahead of the original, they did a pretty impressive job with matching characterization and animation to make it similar. Also it was very emotional not cheesy. Wish it had been a little darker though but it was still pretty good

LexingtonDeville
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2010, 1:52 pm

JML101582 wrote:
5. The Matrix Revoultions (2003)--The last of the Matrix films, but it has been widely ignored ever since the last Matrix film which was a debacle by the way. Plus, it ends the series on a high note! Sure it's not as legendary as the first film, but it's helluva alot better than the second one. That's for sure!

4. The Karate Kid Part II (1986)--It's real hard follow the greatest coming of age karate tale of all-time, but this one is different from the other films of the series because it doesn't end in a tournament. It ends with Daniel fighting against rival from Okwanina named Chozen. I will give this film credit it didn't go into predictable route like the third film (that was really more of a remake than a sequel in my book). That was also the last REAL Karate Kid sequel.

3. Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen (2009)--Despite the fact that this film was one of the highest grossing films of 2009, it's also one of the worst reviewed films of that year. It's not as fun as the first, but it's not supposed to be like The Empire Strikes Back or anything. I still think it's a very good follow up to the 2007 original film. If you don't take this film seriously, it's just as fun (if not better) than the original film.

2. Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome (1985)--Most people couldn't take the film seriously because of Tina Turner's Auntie Enity character. I thought she did a great job portraying a villianous vixen who put Mad Max through hell into the Thunderdome against the dominant Master Blaster. Plus, it was heavily criticized for putting too many children in the film. It was annoying but they were very helpful with Max the same way Ewoks annoyed me but they were helpful with the Rebels in their victory. Not as good as The Road Warrior, but it's still a very good Mad Max film.

and #1 Most Underrated Sequel of All-Time:

Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey (1991)--Yeah, I mentioned that last week on my honorable mentions list for best sequels, but alot of people weren't impressed with the follow-up to the 1989 flick with Bill and Ted going on a different kind of adventure...the afterlife as their evil robotic look-a-likes took their lives and girlfriends in a short period until the Grim Reaper helped the boys out of getting their life together and reforming the Wyld Stallyns (that's the actual band's name, no typo there) just in time for their Battle of the Bands concert. Not as good as the first, but it's alot funnier, darker, and more subtle than you can possibly imagine for a sequel.

HONORABLE MENTION: Back to the Future Part III (1990)--While the first two films are classic, this film is considered the black sleep of the trilogy for its Western overtones (they're in 1885) and romance with Doc Brown and Claire. I have to admit when I was a kid I was bored with this film because it was not like the first two films and I wasn't into westerns or romance at the time. Although I now like the western element, I still didn't care for the relationship between Brown and Claire (I mean Doc isn't supposed to be in love, he's a friggin' mad scientist). It was a great ending to a great trilogy.

I completely disagree with Transformers 2, it was nothing short of a complete car crash of a sequel. As a long-time TF fan, i enjoyed the 2007 opener because it balanced out the quirky humour (Courtesy of Shia Labeouf) and the epic metal-on-metal battles. They had EVERY opportunity to make a great sequel, instead we got...

Toilet humour overload
Sam's mother making a complete twit of herself when she was stoned.
The racist and annoying Twins.
Oversized bollocks on Devastator (Is that really needed?)
Less screen-time for Soundwave.
Little characterisation for Sideswipe, Jolt and Arcee and her sisters.
Ramon Rodriguez screaming like a girl every 5 minutes.
The unexplained way of how Starscream got those Cybertronian markings on his body.
A long and drawn out anticlimatic showdown at the pyramids in Egypt.
Megan Fox having her leg humped by a horny robot.

The only good bits
The opening Shanghai scene.
Optimus vs Megatron, Starscream and a Blackout clone in the woods.
Ravage being nothing short of awesome (Damn you, Bumblebee!)

Here's how i would of done it:
Starscream returns to Cybertron and declares himself the new leader, but faces stiff competition from Shockwave, who rose to power during the Allspark quest. He declares revenge on Sam and the Autobots, something which SHOULD of been done!

Im hoping TF3 is a little better...

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe: Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion; I've watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time; like tears in rain. Time to die." Roy Batty

tb86
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2010, 4:23 pm

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom-This "prequel" was much darker than the original and is considered by some not a good movie. But I think this movie is pretty cool.

Star Wars Prequels-Revenge of the Sith is great, nuff said. As for the first 2, despite the politics stuff (which can be interesting), Hayden Christensen's acting (improved in EP III by the way) and of course a certain someone whos name I shall not mention these film were enjoyable.

Various Star Trek Films-The Motion Picture had a brilliant soundtrack by Jerry Goldsmith but the film itself had quite a slow pace and less action, but not too bad. The Wrath of Khan was much better, nuff said. The The Search for Spock is probably considered underated but I like it better than the first one. The Voyage Home is considered one of the best Trek films, even with a family friendly tone and less action scenes and I agree. Despite a few good moments the Final Frontier is probably the worst of them all. The Undiscovered Country is much better with a better plot with twists and turns. Generations isn't as octaned as some of the others but has some good moments especially with the meeting of the 2 captains and the soundtrack. First Contact was great again nuff said. Insurrection is an OK movie and I think it's better than The Motion Picture and The Final Frontier but to some it feels more like an extended episode. Nemesis was a pretty good film and good send off for the crew, maybe not as good as the final episode of Next Generation but still. As for the new movie simply called Star Trek, it is one of, if not the best Trek movie of them, in my opinion. Can't wait for the sequel.

Superman Returns-At first I actually liked this Superman movie better than the others but sooner or later I started to realise that the first 2 were much better. I still think this is a good movie though. I liked how composer John Ottman used both the John Williams score and a his own type of original music and combined the 2 together. Brandon Routh was not as good as Christopher Reeve but I thought he was OK. Reeve is much better than Routh especially when it comes to playing Clark Kent. Kevin Spacey was a pretty decent Lex Luthor and a bit more evil than Gene Hackman. Kate Bosworth as Lois Lane, totally annoying.

Back to the Future Part III-Not a western fan but I think this is a good movie.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2010, 12:42 pm

Indiana Jones & the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

Rocky IV

Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines

Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey

Rocky III

tb86
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2010, 3:49 pm

Disney sequels can be bad with the exception of Toy Story 2 and Toy Story 3. But here are some that I think are O.K.

The Lion King II Simba's Pride

The Lion King III Hakuna Matata

Aladdin and the King of Thieves

and here are some animated sequels not from Disney.

Shrek Forever After

Pokemon the Movie 2000

Pokemon 3 the Movie

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2010, 5:49 pm

Bad Boys II

Once Upon a Time in Mexico

Alien 3

Clear and Present Danger

Ghostbusters II

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2010, 5:55 pm

Quantum of Solace

Rocky V

Hannibal

Seed of Chucky

Rocky Balboa

JimmyJ
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 May 2012, 8:22 am

HM: Day Of The Dead (1985) (The scariest, most intense zombie movie I've seen. Better than Night and Dawn)

5. Indiana Jones & the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (I don't understand why people hated this. Because it had aliens? So what, the Indiana Jones movies have always had farfetched things in them. This was a great comeback for Indiana Jones)

4. Home Alone 3 (The first 2 films are classics, but I love the 3rd as well. Although not as good as the first two, it was a refreshing change)

3. The Matrix Revolutions (Slightly better than Reloaded and gives the trilogy a satisfying ending. The music and action sequences are great)

2. Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones (I love all 6 SW films, but it annoys me that people call it the worst. It was a huge improvement over The Phantom Menace, and closer to the greatness of Revenge of the Sith and the OT.

1. Spider-Man 3 (The best superhero movie ever made in my opinion. The hate it gets is way uncalled for)

Last edited by JimmyJ on 10 May 2012, 9:18 am, edited 2 times in total.

lostgirl1986
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2012, 8:44 am

raisedbyignorance wrote:
Home Alone 2 - this film got a lot of negativity for being repetitive and similar to the original but I thought that's what made it good. In fact I think this is one of the few sequels IMO that can pull off being a repeat of the original quite brilliantly.

Father of the Bride pt II - same could be said for this film. It deserves a lot of credit though because all the same cast and crew came back for this one and it made it just as fun and heartwarming as the original.

And do I dare bring Disney video sequels into this? Yes I do.

Lion King 2: Simba's Pride - not a unique Disney sequels but it was dark and dramatic for what it was

Lion King 1 1/2 - a pretty funny spinoff that takes the original film and put a spin on it

Bambi 2 - For a sequel that 60 years ahead of the original, they did a pretty impressive job with matching characterization and animation to make it similar. Also it was very emotional not cheesy. Wish it had been a little darker though but it was still pretty good

I agree with Father of the Bride 2.

ZX_SpectrumDisorder
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2012, 9:41 am

Godfather 3 wasn't that bad.

jamieevren1210
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2012, 10:08 am

I don't know what most think of this, but
Sherlock holmes2 : games of shadows.

DogOfJudah
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 May 2012, 10:38 am

Quote:
3. The Matrix Revolutions (Slightly better than Reloaded and gives the trilogy a satisfying ending. The music and action sequences are great)

Quote:

:O Say whaaah ?? Surely I can't be the only person who preferred Reloaded to Revolutions ?? Think I need a sit down after such startling news *fans*

ScrewyWabbit
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2012, 5:58 pm

JML101582 wrote:

Actually I liked both Matrix sequels and think they're both underrated, but I'd give the nod to Matrix Reloaded which, IMHO, was better than Revolutions. Though I do like the Dune-esque journey of Neo's character in the film.

JML101582 wrote:

Actually this is the first movie I thought of when I read the subject of your post. A notable film too for the beginning sequence that is in the parking lot right after the tournament that Daniel won in the first film - footage that was originally meant for, but edited out of, the original movie.

Xenu
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2012, 7:30 pm

In no order

Terminator Salvation- While the film really wasn't that good at all, there was some gold hidden deep in there. If the film had a better director and maybe had somebody rewrite the script, and recast a few parts (although Anton Yelchin was perfect as John Connor) then the film would have been f*****g great. Film had some great ideas but was executed terribly.

Terminator 3- Another film that really isn't good at all... But pretty much exactly what I said about Salvation can be said for 3. Some cool ideas, surrounded by s**t.

Indiana Jones: And the temple of the Crystal Skulls- I hate you George Lucas... I really do... First you go and ruin Star Wars by making the prequels which are bad in every possible way... Now you go and ruin Indiana Jones? The reason I'm putting this as an underrated film is because there were some really cool elements in the film but they were all so buried by Lucas's s**t that it was hard to pick out the gold from the s**t... I actually read this really interesting interview from Steven Spielberg a while back and he talked about how in the first 3 movies he kind of had to keep a hold of George because he wanted to add a lot of really stupid parts to the old movie but was able to convince him not too, and Spielberg publicly apologized for not doing that with Crystal Skull...

Batman Returns- While this is a really good film, it's not as looked on as fondly as it's prequel because it was less of a Batman and film and more of a dark Tim Burton comedy which turned a lot of people off. This is the only actually good film on the list.

The Godfather 3- Oh what could have been if they didn't cast Sofia Coppola...

Last edited by Xenu on 10 May 2012, 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.